Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

jujoboys

Reaction score
A 2nd or 3rd for a guy who would be the best player on your defense and possibly your team. Uhhhhh.Its a no brainer
Not a no brainer in my mind for a few reasons.

1) He is on the last year of his contract so I would want to negotiate a new contract with him prior to making a trade for him. Even at that I would have a hard time giving up a 2nd round pick for him. I don't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that may only play for us in 2018. Who knows what kind of money this guy wants?
2) We are $17.5 under the cap but will most likely have to franchise D Law by tomorrow to keep him. Tagging D Law hits our CAP for $17.5 miliion. Then we have to give Irving at least a 2nd Round tender for $2.9 million so all of a sudden we are over the cap by $2.9 million. We will eventually need $5 million for rookies so now we are over the cap by $7.9 million. If we add Earl Thomas and his current salary of $8.5 million then we will be $16.4 million over the cap. Teams can't be over the CAP after March 14th. The only way Dallas should consider this deal is if they can get the deal done with D Law so we lower D Law's cap hit and we negotiate an extended contract with Earl Thomas.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What contract does he sign once you get him here?

Exactly why he's off my radar.........he's looking to be close to the highest, if not the highest paid safety from what I hear. Couple months ago I was pimping him big-time. But that was thinking a contract in the $5-7M range. That just half of what he wants, so he can go to hell for all care....lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that. We have to remember that the Browns have to spend salary. Jaguars use to be the bad team that would sign guys to ridiculous contracts because they had to spend that money. Browns are going to be in that boat.

Spending money is one thing. But they're nit about to give up high draft picks for a one year rental on a guy who won't re-sign with them.

A second round pick no....but a 4th rounder? I don't see why the Browns or anyone of that ilk wouldn't do it. I think Seattle would also rather see Earl play for a AFC team as opposed to a NFC team as well. But they are also in no position to get picky about what they get for him in return.

To what end? Unless Thomas agreed to an extension there's no way they could keep him. And they'd be wasting a 4th round pick for one year of a disgruntled player on their team to essentially win nothing.

It's just not a move that Cleveland would make.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

1) He is on the last year of his contract so I would want to negotiate a new contract with him prior to making a trade for him. Even at that I would have a hard time giving up a 2nd round pick for him. I don't want to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that may only play for us in 2018. Who knows what kind of money this guy wants?
2) We are $17.5 under the cap but will most likely have to franchise D Law by tomorrow to keep him. Tagging D Law hits our CAP for $17.5 miliion. Then we have to give Irving at least a 2nd Round tender for $2.9 million so all of a sudden we are over the cap by $2.9 million. We will eventually need $5 million for rookies so now we are over the cap by $7.9 million. If we add Earl Thomas and his current salary of $8.5 million then we will be $16.4 million over the cap. Teams can't be over the CAP after March 14th. The only way Dallas should consider this deal is if they can get the deal done with D Law so we lower D Law's cap hit and we negotiate an extended contract with Earl Thomas.

My man, my man.....:hammer:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is one of those deals that makes SO MUCH sense that nothing will ever materialize.

Thomas would be such a huge addition that, if Dak doesn't wet the bed next year, would put us in legit contention in the NFC. So in saying that, it'll probably never happen. Frugality is going to make sure this team never achieves anything of substance.

The Natural

Reaction score
Exactly why he's off my radar.........he's looking to be close to the highest, if not the highest paid safety from what I hear. Couple months ago I was pimping him big-time. But that was thinking a contract in the $5-7M range. That just half of what he wants, so he can go to hell for all care....lol.
Is this something you heard personally or do you have a link to share with the board.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So he is 28..... that is young

Pondered retirement when he was injured in 2016 until he saw Eric Berry's contract. Now he's talking holdout in 2018 because he's "only" going to get paid $10.4 million.

Dude's just looking for one more pay day. What do you think you'll get out of him when he's 30 and has $40 million guaranteed?

ksg811

Reaction score

Restructuring T. Smith and Frederick nets us 14.6 million. Cutting Mayowa adds another 2 and takes the team back under. The cap is NO issue whatsoever. This trade is possible with a few simple pen strokes, nevermind the additional moves that can be made to help the cap for Free Agency.

DiResta

Reaction score
he is 1 of the missing pieces of a top defense
where else will you land a safety of his caliber?

land Earl and the secondary is probably set for the next 4 years +
i would not give a 2nd but i would strongly consider the 3rd knowing with comps i could trade back into the 3rd if i needed to
Dallas might end up trading back to the late 1st as it is and theres your 3rd or 4th back

superonyx

Reaction score
My only fear with this is............ he's going to be 29 and a recent injury history. I think sometimes people think you are getting the Thomas of 5 years and you would not.
Isnt this what people said when we were trying to get Eric Weddle?

GMO415

Reaction score
Once we give up the Draft pick....how can we afford him? We just franchised tagged Tank and we still need to sign Zack.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s the key
You can give a draft pick in the 3rd or 4th without signing him to a contract which will be probably 4 years and I know he said he wants to come here but don’t know that it will keep him from wanting to get paid what he thinks he worth
I believe he has two years left on his contract now but if you extended him those numbers could drop some

One year left on his deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/earl-thomas-6523/

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Once we give up the Draft pick....how can we afford him? We just franchised tagged Tank and we still need to sign Zack.

You restructure some contracts. Get some money back from Dez.

If Dak gets big money then how are we going to have a good team period?

Dallas has to start being aggressive with their roster building.

Their secret sauce is not getting results.

DiResta

Reaction score
I'd rather trade up and get James.
James has incredible size and swagger but isnt the polished safety that all but guarantees you a great player
Earl is a top 3 safety and thats with elite competition

cmoney23

Reaction score
Eagles won a SB being aggressive. We should match that and make this deal. We waste 2nd round picks anyways. Earl wouldn't be a waste.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is one of those deals that makes SO MUCH sense that nothing will ever materialize.

Thomas would be such a huge addition that, if Dak doesn't wet the bed next year, would put us in legit contention in the NFC. So in saying that, it'll probably never happen. Frugality is going to make sure this team never achieves anything of substance.

It's so true...

In 2014 and 2016 we're sitting there in great position to go all the way but management let us down in the offseason by skipping free agency and Rodgers tore us apart.

Go buy a defense. Draft a defense. Just get us a defense!