Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is the kind of common-sense, straightforward trade that we will somehow screw up...lol

1. He's made it clear he wants to return home and play here
2. Seattle is open to offers
3. His former DC now coaches for us
4. Similar scheme fit
5. We have a glaring need at FS with Byron moving to CB

I hope JJ pulls the trigger. IMO-- we need a big splash to rejuvenate the team and Thomas is a catalytic playmaker. Financials will be what everyone points to-- but I would give him a 5 year deal where the last 2 years are heavily incentivized and that can in essence be voided after 3 years if Earl is over the hill.

As far as a draft pick swap? I'd give them our second round pick in a heart beat. Earl is light years ahead of any FS we would draft at that spot and I believe the investment is worth 4-5 years of potential PB quality safety play and locker room leadership. Hope JJ jumps on this one...

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's fair. I was talking about the immediacy of his mentioning retirement. He announced 20 days later he was definitely coming back, which was months before Berry's contract.

Yeah you are right about him talking retirement the night of the injury, I wasn't trying to contradict that. Just wanted to point out he did mention the contract later. All that said, I would still trade for him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys don't have the money under the cap to pull this off a team with lots of cap space will more than likely get him

Bowdown27

Reaction score
the cowboys don't have the money under the cap to pull this off a team with lots of cap space will more than likely get him
We can move money around if we really wanted to. It depends if they actually do it and make the move on earl

waving monkey

Reaction score
we just placed the franchise tag on Lawrence. We still have to sign Martin.
Then there's Irving and Hitchens and other lesser pieces.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t see how Earl Thomas admitting he likes the money is necessarily a negative. It’s just being honest.

Just because he wants to make more money, doesn’t mean he also doesn’t like football. Or, take is seriously enough to put the effort into trying to be the best he can and win.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Trade dez and a pick and make it happen. Preferably dez and a 4th or 5th round pick

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is where a guy like Scandrick can come in handy if SEA is serious about moving on from Sherman, too. They're going to be drafting DBs here as they churn things, and getting a capable vet who can play inside and out while they get everybody up to speed could be worth something. So say, Scandrick, a 3rd and a 5th for Thomas. Something like that.

If they let Sherman go, our best trade piece is Byron. Young, good size and length, and obviously the athleticism. He's closer to the mold of Sherman than Scandrick, and maybe a guy you'd want to sign to a new contract.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They're trying to shed payroll, not trade dollar for dollar.
That is exactly why they wouldn't want Scandrick in trade either. It would defeat the purpose as they would have to absorb his salary.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is Thomas strictly a free safety?

The problem we ran into last year is that neither Jeff Heath nor Byron Jones were strong safeties so we had no replacement for Barry Church. I have no problem in adding talent to the team but putting Thomas a free safety isn't going to fix the strong safety problem. The only hope for SS would then be Woods' development.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
That is exactly why they wouldn't want Scandrick in trade either. It would defeat the purpose as they would have to absorb his salary.
They'd still net about $5.5M in cap room and they get a serviceable CB. I don't believe they are in total rebuild mode. They have a recovering Sherman, Shaq Griffin, and Jeremy Lane at CB.

Also, they can then trade/cut Scandrick with zero cap ramifications if they chose to down the road.

ksg811

Reaction score
Is Thomas strictly a free safety?

The problem we ran into last year is that neither Jeff Heath nor Byron Jones were strong safeties so we had no replacement for Barry Church. I have no problem in adding talent to the team but putting Thomas a free safety isn't going to fix the strong safety problem. The only hope for SS would then be Woods' development.

He for the most part is be he is a true centerfield type FS that can cover the whole field. It allows the defense to show more looks and be more versatile. They can have Frazier in as an in the box safety without giving up much in coverage because Thomas is that good at reading the field and being where he needs to be.