Sean Lee Moving to SAM as Starter

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
When he agreed to come back at a reduced salary, Sean Lee received a promise from the Cowboys that he would remain a starter, Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. That obviously entails a move to strongside linebacker with Jaylon Smith starting at middle linebacker and Leighton Vander Esch at weakside linebacker.

Source: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/06/sean-lee-moving-to-strongside-linebacker/

This essentially means he'll barely be on the field, limiting him to a role as a two-down linebacker.

Shame for a guy who, at one point, was one of the better coverage LB's in the game but at least maybe he'll survive the season.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This essentially means he'll barely be on the field, limiting him to a role as a two-down linebacker.

Shame for a guy who, at one point, was one of the better coverage LB's in the game but at least maybe he'll survive the season.

Makes sense. I also hope that when he was playing last year, he was banged up. Because he didn’t look good last season, even when he was on the field.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He’s not better than Smith or LVE at this point, and especially at those positions. He gives us a great SAM who can read and react, so you may see all 3 on the field much more than you think as he can cover and free Smith to blitz more. He starts, but he also is the #1 Will backup. I like it!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Didn't we play LVE at MLB last year and Jaylon at WLB? Or was I just imagining it?

Also, maybe Lee makes the switch to SLB, but I won't be surprised if Smith is at SLB and Lee at WLB when we use three linebackers.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Lee's a quick study so I don't think the mental side of it is going to be a problem. Here's hoping that the physical demands of the new position won't be as quick to relegate him to the sidelines. It will be hard to find another threesome as talented as Lee, Smith & Vander Esch.
Go Cowboys:flagwave:

MojaveJT

Reaction score
He should still have to earn it like everyone else on the team.

He’s shown he has the talent so no worries there. It’s probably best he plays a limited roll to keep him fresh considering his injury history.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Didn't we play LVE at MLB last year and Jaylon at WLB? Or was I just imagining it?

Also, maybe Lee makes the switch to SLB, but I won't be surprised if Smith is at SLB and Lee at WLB when we use three linebackers.

I'd think you'd want to keep Jaylon at the middle, dude is a heat seeking missile. Lee can't run like he used to.

Mr_437

Reaction score
At this point, I have to question is Sean Lee the best man for the job.

Last year, before any known injury Sean was noticably slower and missing tackles he used to make.

Lee made some plays vs the Rams, so that was encouraging.

At backup Will, Joe Thomas moves a lot better than Lee. At, SAM Chris Covington is bigger n stronger.

I would start Lee out as the starter, right now too, but I would make it a fair competition and sometimes guys don't really get a fair shot in the league.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I didn’t even read the promise part. That is asinine. All due respect to Lee. He doesn’t deserve a “promise” to be a starter. Not with his injury history.

Agreed he needs to earn it. But if he does, you start the best man for the job regardless of injury history.

links18

Reaction score
Sigh.

Are you just trying to start some sort of argument?

We play a lot of nickle, the fact that you're a run-down/two-down defender doesn't mean you're on the field a lot.

But you know this, so why ask?

No, I didnt know any of that. I asked you an honest question. But the thing most likely to keep Lee off the field are injuries, so this will likely be a non issue. He will be a "stater" for about three games and then get a nagging injury that will limit him all season.

Verdict

Reaction score
I know this isn’t going to be popular, but although Lee is a legit past All Pro type of stud he was remarkably bad last year. His play fell off of a cliff.

If he was healthy last year he is done. The only hope for the team is he wasn’t healthy last year.

He was out of position, missed plays and teams actually schemed to get players matched up on him. That doesn’t bode well for him for this coming season.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lee's a quick study so I don't think the mental side of it is going to be a problem. Here's hoping that the physical demands of the new position won't be as quick to relegate him to the sidelines. It will be hard to find another threesome as talented as Lee, Smith & Vander Esch.
Go Cowboys:flagwave:
He's still a lot better than some team's starters.