Twitter: Sean McVay Oddly Throwing Some Shade Against Cowboys To Defend Stafford

75boyz

Reaction score
Sorta true and could have been the reason we got jobbed in Green Bay the following week.

It was a real karma or destiny year if I remember the playoffs correctly for that year. Cuz like you said even if the Cowboys benefited against the Lions that week they lost out on the Dez no catch rule the following week against the Pack. But then the Pack got way out in front of Seattle the following week but choked it away at the end.

Like I said, big time karma/destiny at play imo that year.

jmo

khiladi

Reaction score
No it wasn't. The guy was stiff arming Hitchens and Hitchens just knocked his arm off his chess. The offensive player initiated the contact.

Exactly, the TE fully extended snd completely stiff-armed Hitchens and grabs his mask. The only reason why people claim it was egregious was because the referee rightly picked up the flag. It wasn’t even close to a PI by any standards of what the rule actually is.

Plus, the ref that was on the other side of the field threw the flag, the two right there did not.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dallas was at home and favored in that game.
So no, it was not supposed to be Stafford's time.

A very late 4th quarter length of the field game-winning drive, capped by a pass from Romo to Williams won it for Dallas.

But McVay is off on that one.
That one penalty with all that time left did not seal the game.
I said now (this season) is supposed to be Stafford's time.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Okay - then Romo beat the Packers.

Kind of out of his control wasn’t it?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Didn't see it as throwing shade at Dallas as much as lamely defending his QB.

Look, Stafford has only played in 3 playoff games and his team was not favored in any of them. I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's not like most (or any) other QB would've won those games.

Dude should've left Detroit many years ago vs throwing his career (and body) away for them, but he was loyal.
He's nolonger physically what he once was. Still had a strong season, but I don't think the incredible arm talent is as good (or strong) now.
As Aaron Rodgers has said a few times; Stafford was Mahomes before there was a Mahomes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Stafford choked that game with or without Hitchens....its sad you gotta go to a LOSS in order to defend Stafford's crap lol

Swagger

Reaction score
Didn't see it as throwing shade at Dallas as much as lamely defending his QB.

Look, Stafford has only played in 3 playoff games and his team was not favored in any of them. I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's not like most (or any) other QB would've won those games.

Dude should've left Detroit a decade ago vs throwing his career (and body) away for them, but he was loyal.
Yep I don't understand all the talk.

I remember the Cowboys had some bad calls in that play off game vs the Lions as well. There were two big calls that went against us at key moments yet we still won. I remember a roughing the kicker call we didn't get and I think they scored a TD on the next possession. I can't remember the other call from top of my head.

Our o line was strong, Romo was excellent, Murray was decent and the defense made a play at the end. Stafford was fine for the Lions and they lost a good close game. Nothing more to see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yep I don't understand all the talk.

I remember the Cowboys had some bad calls in that play off game vs the Lions as well. There were two big calls that went against us at key moments yet we still won. I remember a roughing the kicker call we didn't get and I think they scored a TD on the next possession. I can't remember the other call from top of my head.

Our o line was strong, Romo was excellent, Murray was decent and the defense made a play at the end. Stafford was fine for the Lions and they lost a good close game. Nothing more to see.
A blatant, uncalled holding penalty in the secondary right before that play.

see upper right corner

271905414_10228142017917999_7235734860672145446_n.jpg

JustChip

Reaction score
I have that angle and he did not pull Hitchens to himself. That just doesn't make logical sense. If you are trying to push off, which he was via the facemask, you literally push to keep the defender off you so you have room to get your arms in a position to catch the ball. The 2nd angle here shows that. If he wanted Hitchens on him by pulling, they'd be right up against each other. Hitchens winds up pushing his shoulder before the ball arrives and then puts his hands up because he knows that's a no-no. Offsetting for the push-off (plus Hitchens' hold earlier) and replay the down was the corr
Watch the clip you imbedded. Hitchens did not push his shoulder. His hand might have been contacting Pettigrew’s shoulder (still not absolute in that clip), but there was no material impact of that preventing Pettigrew from catching the ball. The vast majority of fans, particularly Lions fans, cry PI because Hitchens doesn’t play the ball. But face-guarding is not illegal and hasn’t been for probably 2 decades. Face-guarding will be called PI if the defender is bumping, running into or making material impact with the receiver. Hitchens wasn’t; he’s not against Pettigrew’s body. In a way, Pettigrew helped Hitchens’ separation by extending his arm on the face-mask.

By the way, that’s the difference between that play and Brown’s against LV on Thanksgiving. Brown got called because he was into the receiver’s body.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
na all Stafford had to do was throw it with touch over the top to Peter Pettigrew instead he just threw at the defender meaning in order to make the catch Pettigrew would have need Go Go Gadget arms to get it. Good no call especially given that Pettigrew had illegal contact with the face mask at the start of the play.
That is my thinking about this play. Everyone seems to forget about the pass bouncing off the defenders back. There was no way that was going to be caught given the body positioning alone. Hitchens touching the defender had nothing to do with the pass falling incomplete. Good no call.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Watch the clip you imbedded. Hitchens did not push his shoulder. His hand might have been contacting Pettigrew’s shoulder (still not absolute in that clip), but there was no material impact of that preventing Pettigrew from catching the ball. The vast majority of fans, particularly Lions fans, cry PI because Hitchens doesn’t play the ball. But face-guarding is not illegal and hasn’t been for probably 2 decades. Face-guarding will be called PI if the defender is bumping, running into or making material impact with the receiver. Hitchens wasn’t; he’s not against Pettigrew’s body. In a way, Pettigrew helped Hitchens’ separation by extending his arm on the face-mask.

By the way, that’s the difference between that play and Brown’s against LV on Thanksgiving. Brown got called because he was into the receiver’s body.

Bro, you literally see Pettigrew's shoulder move backwards as a result of Hitchens' hand and you're saying it's not absolute? It very clearly is. There's also this that was pointed out by Pereira on the broadcast. Was this a jersey pull or inconclusive?

JTug.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
McVay better focus on the challenge in front of him with the Cards rather than looking past them to the Cowboys. We're already in his head. That's funny.