Twitter: Sean McVay Oddly Throwing Some Shade Against Cowboys To Defend Stafford

Lutonio

Reaction score
One bad call and Stafford deserves to have that count as a win? He threw multiple picks and lost that game — just like last week and the multiple times he has put his team in a hole this season.

JustChip

Reaction score
Bro, you literally see Pettigrew's shoulder move backwards as a result of Hitchens' hand and you're saying it's not absolute? It very clearly is. There's also this that was pointed out by Pereira on the broadcast. Was this a jersey pull or inconclusive?

JTug.jpg
You are seeing what you want to see regarding pushing the shoulder. It ain’t there. Both shoulders are in line with each other and perpendicular to Hitchens’ body. Hitchens’ hand appears to be in contact with Pettigrew's shoulder, but it’s not forceful contact, more like someone resting there hand on someone’s shoulder if that. It did not materially restrict Pettigrew and certainly did not push Pettigrew’s shoulder back. I suspect you’re being influenced by Pettigrew rotating to an under-thrown ball. It would’ve been PI without a doubt had Hitchens pulled Pettigrew’s arm(s) down or been into his body with his, but that wasn’t the case.

As far as the jersey pull in the pic you imbedded, I pointed out in my reply to Risen that there was holding earlier in the route that could’ve been called. It wasn’t so egregious that it couldn’t have gone either way, though. The jersey pull in the GB -Cleveland game was way more impactful and didn’t get called.

Just an observation regarding officiating. It seems you go out of your way to defend every call that other Cowboys fans take issue with. Many of those calls are judgement calls, which by the nature, can go either way depending on the person making the determination. It’s why I prefer to eliminate judgement criteria in calls wherever possible. Case in point was the old “receiver forced out” completion ruling. I’m glad they did away with that - complete if both feet in, otherwise incomplete.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You are seeing what you want to see regarding pushing the shoulder.

You don't say. I'm seeing what the plain video shows. No shoulder rotation jerks backwards when there just so happens to be a hand there that moved forward to meet it. But yeah, it was "just resting" there after a hotly contested battle between them two. Uh huh. You seem to be going through a lot of hoop-jumping to explain what happened. It's not that complicated. Hitchens pushed his shoulder and then put his hands up as if he's not guilty. That means he was guilty. Lol.

Another thing you attempt to do is bring in other plays for comparison .... that happened 7 years later, as if they have any bearing on this particular call at all. Sorry, but again, if your explanation needs that kind of massaging to justify a no-call, it probably should have been a call. Two separate fouls that are "not enough" to be fouls? Come on. Either or both could have been called and it should have been offsetting. We got away with one there. Don't know why that's so hard to admit. People call me a ref-lover when I defend calls or no-calls but then turn ref-lovers to defend one that benefits us. We get away with some. It happens. Even 7 years later.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Yeah, Sean. And you were in super bowl Game that you were gifted.

For him to try to imply that the Refs were the reason why Stafford lost against the Cowboys. Like the Rams weren't assisted to the Super Bowl by the Refs missing a huge call that should have went in the Saints favor. :rolleyes:

Flamma

Reaction score
If I remember right it was a clear illegal contact but not interference.

I think it was PI on our LB. But if you watch the replay, and probably why the flag was picked up, the WR had a fist full of face mask. Refs always call PI on either the WR or the defender. Extremely rare they call it on both on the same play.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Just like he choked that 14pt lead away to Dallas. And don't forget, after that "controversial play" Stafford got the ball back late to win the game. Fumbled, D Law picked it up and tried to run and it got stripped and Lions got the ball back, Stafford has another chance. And he again fumbles on 4th down and game over. I love how people gloss over how bad he was after they went up 14-0 early and just pin it on one single call by the refs. After going up 14-0 on their first few drives, Stafford led his team to only 6 more points the rest of the way.

Just like his turnovers helped the 49ers get back into the game last week and win it. Stafford has 17 INTs this season, but McVay is going back to blaming the Refs for Stafford losing to the Cowboys. When the Refs are the very reason for the Rams even making the Super Bowl with Goff.

75boyz

Reaction score
You don't say. I'm seeing what the plain video shows. No shoulder rotation jerks backwards when there just so happens to be a hand there that moved forward to meet it. But yeah, it was "just resting" there after a hotly contested battle between them two. Uh huh. You seem to be going through a lot of hoop-jumping to explain what happened. It's not that complicated. Hitchens pushed his shoulder and then put his hands up as if he's not guilty. That means he was guilty. Lol.

Another thing you attempt to do is bring in other plays for comparison .... that happened 7 years later, as if they have any bearing on this particular call at all. Sorry, but again, if your explanation needs that kind of massaging to justify a no-call, it probably should have been a call. Two separate fouls that are "not enough" to be fouls? Come on. Either or both could have been called and it should have been offsetting. We got away with one there. Don't know why that's so hard to admit. People call me a ref-lover when I defend calls or no-calls but then turn ref-lovers to defend one that benefits us. We get away with some. It happens. Even 7 years later.

Nicely done.
Accountability, responsibility, humility and above all integrity are some almost extinct terms around these parts.
Nice job of demonstrating some.

jmo

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nicely done.
Accountability, responsibility, humility and above all integrity are some almost extinct terms around these parts.
Nice job of demonstrating some.

jmo

Too true on your observations. Too true.

I love my team but I'm not going to bend reality to play victim or pretend we legit gained something we got lucky on. You win some and lose some in life (and football). But people get so fearful to lose that they create fantasies to fool themselves into believing they didn't actually lose. Then get upset when people point out the truth. I find that so interesting because many of them here decry the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality which makes it seem like they support the fact that sometimes you lose in life and it builds character. But then they refuse to accept losing here and create stories about the Cowboys being victimized instead. The mental gymnastics are entertaining.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
So Stafford played well the first half of the year, slowed down in the middle, and played like the Lions Stafford the last month of the season. So, he’s done exactly what we’ve seen his entire career. McVay is loading up excuses now for their colossal post season fail coming up….

JustChip

Reaction score

Let me say it this way, you’re seeing what you want, not what is. Bottom line is Pettigrew’s shoulder IS NOT going backwards because of a shove by Hitchens. No matter how much you want to see it, it just isn’t the case. You’re seeing Pettigrew rotate to adjust to the ball and the minimal contact by Hitchens’ hand and making the leap that Hitchens pushed him. And the assertion that Hitchens must’ve done it because he threw his hands up is ridiculous. So every defensive player that throws his hands up must be guilty of an infraction because of throwing hands up. Really? Answer this - why did Hitchens throw his right hand up because it was not in contact with Pettigrew?

As long as the rule hasn’t changed, it is perfectly legitimate to compare 2 similar plays and highlight why one was called and one was not. I’m not sure why that’s an issue.

75boyz

Reaction score
Too true on your observations. Too true.

I love my team but I'm not going to bend reality to play victim or pretend we legit gained something we got lucky on. You win some and lose some in life (and football). But people get so fearful to lose that they create fantasies to fool themselves into believing they didn't actually lose. Then get upset when people point out the truth. I find that so interesting because many of them here decry the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality which makes it seem like they support the fact that sometimes you lose in life and it builds character. But then they refuse to accept losing here and create stories about the Cowboys being victimized instead. The mental gymnastics are entertaining.

Yep, I hear ya brother. Not trying to sound too much like a moral high ground guy but would like to think I have enough personal integrity to call a spade a spade when the circumstance warrants it regardless if my team happens to be on the losing end of said circumstance or not.

Like you so well described how things are here a lot of times though, to each his own.

jmo

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Let me say it this way, you’re seeing what you want, not what is. Bottom line is Pettigrew’s shoulder IS NOT going backwards because of a shove by Hitchens. No matter how much you want to see it, it just isn’t the case. You’re seeing Pettigrew rotate to adjust to the ball and the minimal contact by Hitchens’ hand and making the leap that Hitchens pushed him.

Here's another angle. Hitchens' hand actually folds over from pushing. He's wearing a white glove so you can't miss that. Or can you?

Pettigrew-GIF.gif

Here's a zoomed in look in case the other GIF wasn't good enough.

Pettigrew-GIF1.gif

If that's not enough, I forgot that Dez came out on to the field to argue this call with his helmet off. No flag there either. We got away with 2, not just 1. It happens. The refs don't hate us. Lol.

JustChip

Reaction score
Here's another angle. Hitchens' hand actually folds over from pushing. He's wearing a white glove so you can't miss that. Or can you?

Pettigrew-GIF.gif

Here's a zoomed in look in case the other GIF wasn't good enough.

Pettigrew-GIF1.gif

If that's not enough, I forgot that Dez came out on to the field to argue this call with his helmet off. No flag there either. We got away with 2, not just 1. It happens. The refs don't hate us. Lol.
Ok, that’s a good shot. Yes, there’s a push there. But it’s not egregious and didn’t prevent Pett from an opportunity to catch the ball. The face-guarding is what prevented him. A different officiating crew may have seen it differently. Heck, different officials in that same crew saw it differently, hence, they waived the flag off after consultation. Just like you and me. I don’t see anything on that play that warrants a PI flag, you do.

I forgot about Dez running on the field. That definitely should’ve been a penalty - no judgement involved with that.

I don’t subscribe to there being an anti-Cowboys bias. There are simply differences between what individual refs emphasize or how much they allow before making a judgement. Teams should absolutely be aware of the tendencies of an individual ref or crew. There’s also the fact that refs can’t see everything. Sometimes they have a blocked view.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I’ve had this discussion multiple times. It was PI after a hold also. We got lucky. The guy was trying to get away from Hitchens who also never turned his head. Even if you gave us anything it’s offsetting and they still have the ball running clock. I’ll take the win though
He didn't turn his head because Pettigrew was holding his face mask

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Just like his turnovers helped the 49ers get back into the game last week and win it. Stafford has 17 INTs this season, but McVay is going back to blaming the Refs for Stafford losing to the Cowboys. When the Refs are the very reason for the Rams even making the Super Bowl with Goff.

Exactly. People like to blame Stafford having no excuse because of the Detroit angle but lets not pretend Detroit was scrubs his time there. they had Megatron and some good offensive weapons. They made the playoffs about the same rate as Dallas. Stafford made the playoffs 3x in Detroit. Romo made it 4 times. Romo played here when we had tons of dead cap, terrible OL, god awful defense and Garrett as coach. I never got the pass Stafford got his whole career. Was a top pick yet finally wins his first division ever how many years into his career? Remember, this LA team was stacked and they went all in on both sides of the ball. And still finishes below Dak in the seeding.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
He didn't turn his head because Pettigrew was holding his face mask

Wrong. Just put in “Hitchens PI” and the stills don’t bear that out. It all started with Hitchens holding him and then ended with Hitchens running into him as TE came back to the ball. This video by Periera explains it well. If this was Dez Bryant we’d be talking about this yearly. It was a hold snd a PI. But Cool we got a win and let’s hope we get some great calls vs 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...onflicting-answer-on-cowboys-non-pi-call/amp/

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

It was the right no call or right changed to no call. Penalties are for egregious fouls only and fans and especially REFS like Mike scumbag Peroni need to understand that. Instead of being a rule **** and seeing a flag every other play, let them play. That Washington game on sunday night was fun to watch cause the refs let them play.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Wrong. Just put in “Hitchens PI” and the stills don’t bear that out. It all started with Hitchens holding him and then ended with Hitchens running into him as TE came back to the ball. This video by Periera explains it well. If this was Dez Bryant we’d be talking about this yearly. It was a hold snd a PI. But Cool we got a win and let’s hope we get some great calls vs 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...onflicting-answer-on-cowboys-non-pi-call/amp/

Don't listen to that MORON. The guy is a complete joke and loves to stick it to us.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

It was the right no call or right changed to no call. Penalties are for egregious fouls only and fans and especially REFS like Mike scumbag Peroni need to understand that. Instead of being a rule **** and seeing a flag every other play, let them play. That Washington game on sunday night was fun to watch cause the refs let them play.

Did you even listen to the video you posted here? The officials there told Stafford that faceguarding was okay but also said that Hitchens didn't touch Pettigrew before the ball arrived. Literally on this page are videos that show Hitchens did push his shoulder before the ball arrived. Lol. Officials miss some and sometimes we benefit. We clearly did here. No flag for Dez running onto the field without his helmet to argue the flag either.