CFZ Season trend

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The season started with a stinker of a game against the Bucs. One of the worst games the Cowboys have played in a long time. I mean MM said after the fact that they knew this was going to be a defensive led team yet against the Bucs they played pass first and never tried to establish the run. The Bucs defense is good but they shouldn’t have had the success they had. KM played the same game plan he played last year and the Bucs were ready. Dak had a terrible game. The OL had a terrible game. The coaches had an absolutely terrible game.

Then Dak got hurt.

This was the beginning of a new era. The coaches new that they had to be a run first offense because Rush just wasn’t good enough to run a pass happy offense. His weak arm prevented them from calling many plays. So they focused on establishing the run. I mean really focused. Not sure why KM and MM took so long to realize that you have to run the ball in the NFL no matter who you have at QB but they were finally forced into this realization. While the offense didn’t flourish, it was able to score enough points to win. This happened because the defense flourished. They stepped it up big time and allowed the offense to depend on the run. Dallas is 31st in time of possession. This defense has been carrying the team on it’s back this whole season including the last game against the Lions.

The elephant in the room as far as the defense is concerned has been stopping the run. They’’re 14th in the league in run defense. Not bad but for a defensive oriented team it needs to get better. It would probably be worse but the Cowboys have been in the lead a lot so teams have had to pass. Which plays right into the Cowboys hands. But if teams can get ahead on the Cowboys and rely on the run game they will have success.

Enter todays HUGE trade for 6’3” 340 lbs Jonathan Hankins. I think this is a tremendous signing. He’s not a flashy guy. He’s not going to get sacks. But he does all the dirty work clogging up the middle. Something the Cowboys haven’t had in years. Many, many years. Baring injury, I think we’re going to look back at this signing as one of the defining moments of the season.

The other defining moments? We’ve been watching one since game 1. Zeke Elliot. He’s faced so much criticism from so many fans of late. Zoners calling for his outright release. Calling him soft and useless playing through most of last season with a PCL issue. He’s been carrying this offense so far this year. The team loves him. He gives it his all.

The last defining moment? The return of Dak. His 1st game back he played a solid game. Rusty in the first quarter as expected. But he got better and better and after watching the All 22 he played better than I thought. He’s the leader on this team. Teammates love him as well. He’ll continue to get better and flourish in this run first offense. He had success on play action 50% of the plays where previously it was 25%. I think MM will make sure KM continues to be a run first team which opens up the play action for big chunk plays.

Honorable mention for first 7 game trends is the improvement of the coaching staff. MM has been fantastic. He’s got this team playing their ***** off. Quinn is like a kid in a candy store with all these outstanding players he has to move around and destroy offenses. KM, whether forced or not, has stuck with establishing the run and staying with it.

So the first 7 game trends are like a bull market. Steadily up. Baring any significant injuries I have no doubt that the trend will continue on the upswing for the rest of the season.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The season started with a stinker of a game against the Bucs. One of the worst games the Cowboys have played in a long time. I mean MM said after the fact that they knew this was going to be a defensive led team yet against the Bucs they played pass first and never tried to establish the run. The Bucs defense is good but they shouldn’t have had the success they had. KM played the same game plan he played last year and the Bucs were ready. Dak had a terrible game. The OL had a terrible game. The coaches had an absolutely terrible game.

Then Dak got hurt.

This was the beginning of a new era. The coaches new that they had to be a run first offense because Rush just wasn’t good enough to run a pass happy offense. His weak arm prevented them from calling many plays. So they focused on establishing the run. I mean really focused. Not sure why KM and MM took so long to realize that you have to run the ball in the NFL no matter who you have at QB but they were finally forced into this realization. While the offense didn’t flourish, it was able to score enough points to win. This happened because the defense flourished. They stepped it up big time and allowed the offense to depend on the run. Dallas is 31st in time of possession. This defense has been carrying the team on it’s back this whole season including the last game against the Lions.

The elephant in the room as far as the defense is concerned has been stopping the run. They’’re 14th in the league in run defense. Not bad but for a defensive oriented team it needs to get better. It would probably be worse but the Cowboys have been in the lead a lot so teams have had to pass. Which plays right into the Cowboys hands. But if teams can get ahead on the Cowboys and rely on the run game they will have success.

Enter todays HUGE trade for 6’3” 340 lbs Jonathan Hankins. I think this is a tremendous signing. He’s not a flashy guy. He’s not going to get sacks. But he does all the dirty work clogging up the middle. Something the Cowboys haven’t had in years. Many, many years. Baring injury, I think we’re going to look back at this signing as one of the defining moments of the season.

The other defining moments? We’ve been watching one since game 1. Zeke Elliot. He’s faced so much criticism from so many fans of late. Zoners calling for his outright release. Calling him soft and useless playing through most of last season with a PCL issue. He’s been carrying this offense so far this year. The team loves him. He gives it his all.

The last defining moment? The return of Dak. His 1st game back he played a solid game. Rusty in the first quarter as expected. But he got better and better and after watching the All 22 he played better than I thought. He’s the leader on this team. Teammates love him as well. He’ll continue to get better and flourish in this run first offense. He had success on play action 50% of the plays where previously it was 25%. I think MM will make sure KM continues to be a run first team which opens up the play action for big chunk plays.

Honorable mention for first 7 game trends is the improvement of the coaching staff. MM has been fantastic. He’s got this team playing their ***** off. Quinn is like a kid in a candy store with all these outstanding players he has to move around and destroy offenses. KM, whether forced or not, has stuck with establishing the run and staying with it.

So the first 7 game trends are like a bull market. Steadily up. Baring any significant injuries I have no doubt that the trend will continue on the upswing for the rest of the season.
Who would have thought? Where is Rockport and what have you done to him? :p

I agree with most of what you wrote. The small things I don't agree with aren't important enough to let them diminish this moment.

As someone said. Wins heal everything. :flagwave:

plasticman

Reaction score
There are some dangerous games and this is a young team.

I hope guys like Parsons, Diggs, Pollard, and Wilson can maintain their focus and not get caught up in all the hype about how well the defense is doing, They can all be celebrities later, during the offseason.

There is always the specter of injuries as well. A few in the wrong places and the season is over. The probability that all three NFC East teams can maintain their current trends is extremely low. Too many things can happen.

It seems as though trending for an entire season would have a series of high peaks and low peaks. The fact that the Cowboys went 4-1 during a low peak is encouraging.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There are some dangerous games and this is a young team.

I hope guys like Parsons, Diggs, Pollard, and Wilson can maintain their focus and not get caught up in all the hype about how well the defense is doing, They can all be celebrities later, during the offseason.

There is always the specter of injuries as well. A few in the wrong places and the season is over. The probability that all three NFC East teams can maintain their current trends is extremely low. Too many things can happen.

It seems as though trending for an entire season would have a series of high peaks and low peaks. The fact that the Cowboys went 4-1 during a low peak is encouraging.
Speculation on Parsons staying grounded has been going on for the last year and he’s doing just fine. Diggs as well. That shows how strong team chemistry is with this group.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then Dak got hurt.

This is a formula that is bound to fail us once again as at some point we will face defenses that will STOP the running game and the passing game will have to score the points required to win.
Hence our one-and-done again and again.....
Doesn't it surprise you how we only win when Zeke/Running game has over 100 yards?
This is the dilemma that some of you refuse to accept as reality.
We won't have to wait long for my speculations of our biggest issue to come home again with another loss.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Great post Rocky

I'm also in utter amazement that the front office has recognized the problem with us stopping the run and actually made a trade to try and address this before we play the Bears.

Is there the remote possibility that we are actually putting some value on the defensive tackle position at this point.

This would be a welcome trend that we haven't seen in a long time.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Then Dak got hurt.

As Parcells said:
Trashcan full of dirt type of DT.
Can't move them!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We now have the #1 defense in the NFL
Now we need to defeat the Dak defense.
The Dak defense is CBs off 10+ yds safeties shallow. You have 2 choices throw to sidelines (Dak won't) or throw to crowded middle (Dak won't) this leaves Zeke into the middle for 2 yds and a cloud of dust.
We have 2 ways to defeat this.
Toss to Pollard attacking outside.
Move Dak outside the pocket often.
If we keep Dak inside the pocket and hand it to Zeke up the middle

We lose.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is a formula that is bound to fail us once again as at some point we will face defenses that will STOP the running game and the passing game will have to score the points required to win.
Doesn't it surprise you how we only win when Zeke/Running game has over 100 yards?
We won't have to wait long for my speculations of our biggest issue to come home again with another loss.

Although this is bound to happen, our defense is playing a lot better. We just have to hope that in games like that our D can make up the difference.

A few years ago we would have won zero games with Cooper Rush.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You left Dak’s name out of your post.:eek::eek::eek:Good job.:laugh::omg:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Then Dak got hurt.

Definitely, and I love the move to trade for Hankins. We've needed a NT like him for a long time. We finally have one now. Not only can he stop.the run, but he can prevent QBs from stepping up and/or running up the middle. So, that makes Parsons's job easier.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You left Dak’s name out of your post.:eek::eek::eek:Good job.:laugh::omg:
Unless we can score points with the passing game we are at best a one-and-done team!!!!
Just a reminder we don't have the CAP to produce a Ravens 2000 defense so any QB can win the Superbowl!!!!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Unless we can score points with the passing game we are at best a one-and-done team!!!!
Just a reminder we don't have the CAP to produce a Ravens 2000 defense so any QB can win the Superbowl!!!!
This defense is not the 2000 Ravens but this is Super Bowl caliber defense. We just have to get the offense on track.