Seeking story about Dallas having the best drafts in recent years

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I heard it yesterday that some publication (Sports Illustrated, PFW) has a story on the Cowboys draft acumen over the past few years. Apparently, the Cowboys have drafted better than most teams over that period.
Has anyone heard of this article and what publication wrote it?
Thanks.
I did not see the article or hear about this anywhere but honestly I do not need that confirmation from outside sources. Its really obvious at this point.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I heard it yesterday that some publication (Sports Illustrated, PFW) has a story on the Cowboys draft acumen over the past few years. Apparently, the Cowboys have drafted better than most teams over that period.
Has anyone heard of this article and what publication wrote it?
Thanks.

I have not but it's well publicized on here by fans in the know, ya know :)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
When you get a stud like Dak in the 4th round and Jaylon in the second who can argue?

The only big stain on the report card the last few years was the horrid pick of Soft Taco. And EVERYONE knew it when the pick came it that the guy was a dud.

And LVE last year was an incredible pick. Off the charts amazing.

Gallup was an ok pick too. Liked it on draft day, like it more today. I'm not sure about Moore tho, that's my thang

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
When someone says this guy or that guy "is a sure thing" I run for cover. I had what I thought was a sure thing once, should surely have run for cover:muttley:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember it too but those same people aren’t speaking on it anymore lol.

Mobs usually don’t when they get someplace and realize they were silly to break out the torches and pitchforks in the first place. Turns out, they don’t always think things through very carefully.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That’s going to eventually catch up with the Patriots.
Cowboys may be #1 in drafting, but NE is no way #29. NE lets guys go because the trust their drafted players and their ability to coach them up. It’s worked out pretty well the last 15 years.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Remember when everybody here said we couldn’t draft, and everybody turned out to be wrong about that? Because I do.
Most here believe we draft well and have a top 3-6 roster, but have a below average HC that holds us back big time.

Remember when everyone here said we couldn’t win the Super Bowl with Garrett, and everybody was proven right when he was fired half way through this season and we went on to win the Super Bowl!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys at #1 and Patriots at #29.
The Pats cannot be ranked normally. What Belly does is find useful players and uses them in ways other teams cannot. Edelmann, James White, Chris Hogan, Van Noy, Danny Shelton. All successful in NE. Most thought Trent Brown was a waste, but he was stellar last year in NE.

There is no one in the NFL who can see and plan for the future like Belly. Not even close. That's why he can take players such as Easely, 1st round, 2014. Dude was a major talent, but chances of him playing were small, due to multiple injury issues. However, when he didn't work out, Belly had an alternate plan. Hades, I think he has an alternate to the alternate. In 14, at DT he had Chris Jones, and then picked up Alan Branch around midseason. Alan was a player who just wasn't working out in ARI, seemed to have motivational issues or something. In NE? Great play of course, instrumental in their super bowl run/victory that year. A guy that no one wanted.

kskboys

Reaction score
The issue I have is that pro bowlers are voted in and a lot of times cowboys players get in where a better player on a less popular team does not....still that being said we have gotten better at drafting...we still haven’t figured out how to draft well and build well.

Building means drafting well, using FA the right way, giving good contracts and having long terms sustained success though good coaching and cohesion....we have figured out drafting which is why we are consistent pretty much every year but have work to do in all other categories
Not only that, many players don't want to play in the pro bowl, so that leaves the next choices in line. Remember when Mike Jenkins made it? That was only because 2 guys ahead of him bowed out.

visionary

Reaction score

Best drafting last few years
Loaded with talent
No conference championships even (forget about SB)

What oh what could possibly be the problem

Hmmmmm....

I know one thing, it's not coaching
Can't be

It's got to be something other than coaching
holding us back

But what?
I wonder

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most here believe we draft well and have a top 3-6 roster, but have a below average HC that holds us back big time.

Remember when everyone here said we couldn’t win the Super Bowl with Garrett, and everybody was proven right when he was fired half way through this season and we went on to win the Super Bowl!!!

Most here believe it now. Maybe you’re too new to remember what it was like back when we were drafting players like Travis Frederick and trading back up for DeMarcus Lawrence and the mob said team was a bunch of idiots that didn’t have a clue what they were doing.

Maybe you’re also too new here to remember when Garrett would never get the team over .500, and it was a certainty. Because that happened too. Now we’re at least talking about this team as a Superbowl contender after years of being one of the best teams in the NFC.