Seeking story about Dallas having the best drafts in recent years

kskboys

Reaction score
Best drafting last few years
Loaded with talent
No conference championships even (forget about SB)

What oh what could possibly be the problem

Hmmmmm....

I know one thing, it's not coaching
Can't be

It's got to be something other than coaching
holding us back

But what?
I wonder
The Lion King?

kskboys

Reaction score
Most here believe it now. Maybe you’re too new to remember what it was like back when we were drafting players like Travis Frederick and trading back up for DeMarcus Lawrence and the mob said team was a bunch of idiots that didn’t have a clue what they were doing.

Maybe you’re also too new here to remember when Garrett would never get the team over .500, and it was a certainty. Because that happened too. Now we’re at least talking about this team as a Superbowl contender after years of being one of the best teams in the NFC.
In all fairness, there was a ton of examples up to that point that clearly showed that this FO was a pile of idiots who didn't know what they were doing.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO the next step this team has to make is being consistent year after year. It is much easier to build upon previous success when you are not starting from the bottom every other season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are one of the better drafting teams but unlike others, I give all of the credit to Booger, not his son or McClay. Booger has always had advisors like Crazy Al and his buddy, Larry Lacewell, his biggest mistake. Too often, your buddy will tell you what you want to hear, not need to hear.

That shot from the war room when they were on the clock in the 3rd round when the consensus around him wanted to take the trade but he stuck to his board, the one presented to him by McClay, and took McGovern was the new and improved Booger, stick to the plan Booger. I was surprised they stayed at 58 and he waited that long to participate, had to make him antsy.

My problem hasn't been the acquisition of talent, even FA, it has been the implementation of it. He's become a good GM with talent acquisition but with the second half of that, coaching acquisition, he's been poor because of his requirements of that position.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all fairness, there was a ton of examples up to that point that clearly showed that this FO was a pile of idiots who didn't know what they were doing.
They were like hikers on a new mountain with no map or trail markers, all over the place.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
When you cant be a winner, win at other things.

this doesnt help the FO. yes we are drafting and still not a credible constant winner. excellent, now tell me why.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys at #1 and Patriots at #29.
The difference between the Pats and most of the other teams is that he is not draft dependent for talent. He uses the draft, FA and trades to fill out his puzzle. And when he used to do that, I didn't get it, didn't see his puzzle but the man can flat out maximize talent to fit his needs.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There was a mob suggesting that, which was my original point.

The reality was that things had gotten much more organized and were already performing better going back to the 2010 offseason. People just didn’t want to see it because they were scapegoating, like they always do.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Say that about any FO except Patriots.

visionary

Reaction score

There is still a ton of evidence that the moron who runs this team continues to ensure this team goes nowhere with a trash HC, green behind the ears OC and over the hill DC

But idiots of me this board will still support him

Beaker42

Reaction score
That is a good write up and it is dead on; Dallas has been knocking it out of the park for about a decade now. However, that story is from April 2018. Dallas would have looked even better taking Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, and Michael Gallup into consideration... though Travis Frederick would have fallen out of their arbitrary 5 year window.

I’m a big draft guy and since Jimmy Johnson left, I had been sorely disappointed in the Cowboys drafting. However, since about 2010 it has been homerun after homerun and I couldn’t be happier. Draft well and good things happen to your franchise. I love how the Cowboys pick their guys now and it is really nice to trust the Dallas evaluations... something I used to never do.
And what do we have to show for it? 3 measly playoff wins in that 10-year period and no NFC’s or SB’s. Seems coaching might be an issue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is still a ton of evidence that the moron who runs this team continues to ensure this team goes nowhere with a trash HC, green behind the ears OC and over the hill DC

But idiots of me this board will still support him
What exactly are idiots of you? I've been called an idiot but never owning some.

visionary

Reaction score
What exactly are idiots of you? I've been called an idiot but never owning some.

Never called you an idiot
I've always respected your views because they are objective and based on experience

I'm talking about the blind jerry and Garrett apologists on CZ

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The issue I have is that pro bowlers are voted in and a lot of times cowboys players get in where a better player on a less popular team does not....still that being said we have gotten better at drafting...we still haven’t figured out how to draft well and build well.

Building means drafting well, using FA the right way, giving good contracts and having long terms sustained success though good coaching and cohesion....we have figured out drafting which is why we are consistent pretty much every year but have work to do in all other categories

The team has talent. No doubt about it.

We’ve had problems in the playoffs going against the better coaches in the NFL.

The defensive collapses have not helped either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s going to eventually catch up with the Patriots.
Man, we've been thinking that for years. I thought that when he was going CB in subsequent drafts and not working out and then he learned, that would be one of the positions he would have to go above the line for and he has the best tandem in the league allowing him to make a B DL into an A one.

He's just different than all the others in his vision. Right now 31 GM's are looking at their teams and trying to figure out who's in and out for this season and he's already thinking about what he's going to do within this season and the off season. He anticipates the surprises better than anyone and has contingency plans. He's not perfect but he's the closest thing we've got to it in this era.