Self-imposed deadline for a deal

plymkr

Reaction score
Obviously Dak thought last year he’d rather only wait 4 years and this year he only wants to wait 3 years to renegotiate again.

So yea , turning it down now if you’re turning up the clock for even a bigger payday down the road sounds good to me. Assuming you’re still getting a similar deal down
If Dak gets 100 million signing bonus offered yo him in 2019. Then on his next contract he'll probably get the same signing bonus or more.

There's no way you're going to convince me turning down 100 million is a good idea. Especially if that offer stayed on the table during a pandemic. The pandemic hurt the NFL revenue as proven by the reduction in salary cap across the board.

Now Dallas could pull the tag and let him walk and there's not a lot of teams that have the cap room that they would have had in a non pandemic year.

Sorry but I totally disagree. It is a bad decision to turn down 100 million dollar signing bonus under any circumstances. There's no way you can get me to agree that turning down 100 million was a smart decision. He made a mistake by assuming he can get that offer again. He might not by the Cowboys or anyone on the NFL due to the financial crisis all teams are facing.

Horrible decision and I'm starting to hope it bites him in the butt moving forward.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Dak gets 100 million signing bonus offered yo him in 2019. Then on his next contract he'll probably get the same signing bonus or more.

There's no way you're going to convince me turning down 100 million is a good idea. Especially if that offer stayed on the table during a pandemic. The pandemic hurt the NFL revenue as proven by the reduction in salary cap across the board.

Now Dallas could pull the tag and let him walk and there's not a lot of teams that have the cap room that they would have had in a non pandemic year.

Sorry but I totally disagree. It is a bad decision to turn down 100 million dollar signing bonus under any circumstances. There's no way you can get me to agree that turning down 100 million was a smart decision. He made a mistake by assuming he can get that offer again. He might not by the Cowboys or anyone on the NFL due to the financial crisis all teams are facing.

Horrible decision and I'm starting to hope it bites him in the butt moving forward.
I really don’t see it as though he’s turned down a 100 million guarantee. He’s just delaying the decision as to when to accept it.

plymkr

Reaction score
I really don’t see it as though he’s turned down a 100 million guarantee. He’s just delaying the decision as to when to accept it.
What if it's not offered again? What if Jerry pulls the franchise tag and allows him to leave. There's a risk that another team will not offer him 100 million signing bonus, especially with the cap going down and that cap reduction is hurting all NFL teams.

In march of last year I could see your point. In july of last year after 4 months of world wide pandemic and the offer was still on the table then it was dumb not to accept.

Jerry was going to hand him a 100 million dollar check while the NFL was trying to figure out how to handle the pandemic and there was discussions of the NFL not being able to finish the season.

At that point of uncertainty, you take the 100 million dollar check and the security of a contract.

There's seriously a part of me that hopes Jerry pulls the tag and sets him free and Dak doesn't get anything close to what he's demanding from the Cowboys and gets picked up by the dolphins or bears or Panthers. Then he sucks and gets benched and disappears into obscurity.

Flamma

Reaction score
What if it's not offered again? What if Jerry pulls the franchise tag and allows him to leave. There's a risk that another team will not offer him 100 million signing bonus, especially with the cap going down and that cap reduction is hurting all NFL teams.

In march of last year I could see your point. In july of last year after 4 months of world wide pandemic and the offer was still on the table then it was dumb not to accept.

Jerry was going to hand him a 100 million dollar check while the NFL was trying to figure out how to handle the pandemic and there was discussions of the NFL not being able to finish the season.

At that point of uncertainty, you take the 100 million dollar check and the security of a contract.

There's seriously a part of me that hopes Jerry pulls the tag and sets him free and Dak doesn't get anything close to what he's demanding from the Cowboys and gets picked up by the dolphins or bears or Panthers. Then he sucks and gets benched and disappears into obscurity.

Jerry doesn't have to pull the tag, I don't believe he's applied one yet. They also need to make cap room to apply the tag. They haven't publicly done that yet.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak thinks he can get a fully guaranteed deal due at signing like Matt Ryan got. That deal in particular is affecting this negotiation more than many think. Matt Ryan received in the neighborhood of 80-90 million bucks up front AT SIGNING. CASH MONEY. Unheard of. Dak now is asking for the same.

mrcowboys40

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have to pull the tag, I don't believe he's applied one yet. They also need to make cap room to apply the tag. They haven't publicly done that yet.
If Dak gets tag, he won't play one game for the cowboys in 2021, he will rehab the whole season because he doesn't want to take a chance getting hurt again without having a long term contract.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Dak gets tag, he won't play one game for the cowboys in 2021, he will rehab the whole season because he doesn't want to take a chance getting hurt again without having a long term contract.
or he will be traded. Dallas wont be tagging him to hang onto him only to see him walk next year.

Flamma

Reaction score

That's a good point that I haven't heard brought up before. But I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere on here. It would be a reason why Dak would not want to play on the tag.

or he will be traded. Dallas wont be tagging him to hang onto him only to see him walk next year.

Yeah, a tag is either to trade or to buy time to work out a deal. Not play on it. They still have to make room for a tag or signing.

Even if Dak walks the Cowboys aren't going to have a lot of space. Their top 7 cap hits rise about 10.5 million for 2022. That's without extending a single player from 2018 this year, and 2019 next year. Are we expecting the cap to go up next year?

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's a good point that I haven't heard brought up before. But I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere on here. It would be a reason why Dak would not want to play on the tag.

Yeah, a tag is either to trade or to buy time to work out a deal. Not play on it. They still have to make room for a tag or signing.

Even if Dak walks the Cowboys aren't going to have a lot of space. Their top 7 cap hits rise about 10.5 million for 2022. That's without extending a single player from 2018 this year, and 2019 next year. Are we expecting the cap to go up next year?
Not sure..but I think so...

Flamma

Reaction score
This cap crap wouldn't be much of an issue had the cap gone up the usual 11 million on average. It would be somewhere between 220-225 million by 2022. I don't know when the TV deals kick in. This year we should have an extra 30 million of space had everything gone as planned.

plymkr

Reaction score
True, good point. I guess I'm assuming they will apply the tag. They might not. Part of me would like to see them let him go.

I don't think any team will pay him 40-44 million a year for a 3 year deal.

willia451

Reaction score
Why don't you guys just watch youtube vids of 90s SB glories. Like everybody else does?

This discussion is pointless.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
7 MORE DAYS TILL THEY TAG DAK...LET THE COUNT DOWN BEGIN!!!
Your dog's awesome. Looks so over the bunny ears.
Like you do goofy things with him/her often and they're just like: whatevs.

Flamma

Reaction score
True, good point. I guess I'm assuming they will apply the tag. They might not. Part of me would like to see them let him go.

I don't think any team will pay him 40-44 million a year for a 3 year deal.

Except for the Cowboys.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Highest probability odds are that Dak is tagged on non-exclusive and traded on or about draft day.

I wanted to check that one can trade a tagged player even if he hasn't signed the tender yet. Can anyone confirm this with an explicit reference?

I can't find that precise confirmation. "Journalism" can be so annoying.

This one at least *talk* about tag and trade, but because the trades required the player to sign a long term extension with the new team, they were contingent on player cooperation, and if he wanted the new deal, he'll just sign the tag, get traded, then sign the new contract.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020...ow-franchise-and-transition-tags-work-in-2020

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They can only trade him on the exclusive tag with his cooperation.
Got a reference for that? I've looked around, but journalists neither ask nor answer such obvious questions precisely.

But what you're saying is close to my assumption. I assume they can only trade him once he's signed his tender. Obviously, if he's cooperating, and wants a deal to go through, he signs the tender as part of any trade to make it happen.

But I also assume that once he signs, his cooperation is no longer required.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I think Dak's agent will be the downfall of him. They would have signed him 3 yrs ago, but the agent probably kept pushing more. If I'm correct. They proposed 3 deals, that Dak said no.

Now it's become a game of tag. I think Dak is better than avg QB. But having a better team around avg QB pays better dividends. Maybe your right, CC. This most likely wont get done. So whats the hold up?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I on the other hand am rooting for Jethro to made a fool of . It’s always conflicting for me. I want the Cowboys to have success but if they can’t then as much embarrassment as possible for our dysfunctional ownership.