Self-imposed deadline for a deal

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Zach Wilson has the most developed skill out of all these QB's. Lawrence has far more upside but Zach Wilson I think has developed his skill better than all these QB's so far and he has great arm talent and above average mobility.

Zach Wilson in Dallas would be exciting. Playing in a dome with the WR's we have and his playmaking ability? Wow.
OMG...I agree. That kid in Dallas would be Romo on steroids...wow! He would be the Darling of the league just under Mahomes. Kid has it all. If he falls close to 10..I think I might trade up for him. Or just see if he falls into our laps.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
@CouchCoach You fail to see one gigantic flaw in your reasoning. Tag Dak and he immediately signs it. Why? Because no team will offer him more than $37M for 2021. No team is offering Dak jack squat until he can pass a vigorous physical. Dak is not passing a physical before the draft in my opinion. You can’t rescind the cap once a player signs it.

If Dak were to sign the $37M tag, What do you do if he can’t play at all or begins the season on PUP? After signing the tag, Dak doesn’t have to do jack squat in negotiations. He can just wait until next year. Your deadlines mean nothing to Dak.

Let him test the market and come back with his best offer which will be nothing. Teams aren’t spending $200M on an above average QB who had a horrific injury and can’t even run 5 months later.

Chicago Bears I think would.. Washington would.. I think NYG knows that Daniel Jones deal is almost up and they would sign Dak.

I think if he's a free agent then he has a few suitors. I just don't think anyone gives us picks for him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@CouchCoach You fail to see one gigantic flaw in your reasoning. Tag Dak and he immediately signs it. Why? Because no team will offer him more than $37M for 2021. No team is offering Dak jack squat until he can pass a vigorous physical. Dak is not passing a physical before the draft in my opinion. You can’t rescind the cap once a player signs it.

If Dak were to sign the $37M tag, What do you do if he can’t play at all or begins the season on PUP? After signing the tag, Dak doesn’t have to do jack squat in negotiations. He can just wait until next year. Your deadlines mean nothing to Dak.

Let him test the market and come back with his best offer which will be nothing. Teams aren’t spending $200M on an above average QB who had a horrific injury and can’t even run 5 months later.
Ninja, remains to be seen what he does because this agent is a hardliner. But if that's the case, I shop him and see if there is a team that wants him and offer that up to his agent in a tag n trade and let his agent deal with the other team.

Ninja, you could have left the adjective off flaw but I do appreciate you not going all caps on me.

I think the biggest mistake this team will have made in many years will be tagging this QB. That will do nothing but stunt the growth and stall the progress they need to make.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
OMG...I agree. That kid in Dallas would be Romo on steroids...wow! He would be the Darling of the league just under Mahomes. Kid has it all. If he falls close to 10..I think I might trade up for him. Or just see if he falls into our laps.

It would be incredible if he falls past pick 2.

I think Trey Lance is the guy we might have a shot at and he's big risk but possibly big reward.

He's a Lamar Jackson type of athlete with a big arm. You just don't see a lot of short and intermediate routes with him going through progressions. Plus he may need to sit a season because he is so raw which i'm ok with.

He's got a great deep ball though.

Then Justin Fields is Dak part 2. He's Dak with more upside imo. Identical players. Both have same strengths and weakness except Fields has a much better deep ball and he's a better athlete than Dak.

Mac Jones.. He's very standard but probably the best out of all of these guys besides Zach Wilson at going through his progressions and finding the open man.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not falling past 1. He's the other guaranteed pick at his spot, #2. His name has picked up more speed than any other player's and this is a QB draft. 5 could go in the top 10 and it wouldn't surprise me to see 6.

It's deep in QB's and WR's and shallow on the D side. Add to this the young QB's having success early on and it's a QB feeding frenzy with some inherent busts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's not falling past 1. He's the other guaranteed pick at his spot, #2. His name has picked up more speed than ay other player's and this is a QB draft. 5 could go in the top 10 and it wouldn't surprise me to see 6.

It's deep in QB's and WR's and shallow on the D side. Add to this the young QB's having success early on and it's a QB feeding frenzy with some inherent busts.

So do you agree with me that it's easier then ever to find a QB? I upset a lot of people when I say that.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
This is not going to end good for Dak. He is going to throw away staying a Cowboy and racking up millions in advertisements. Dak is a blinded fool if he thinks going somewhere else will lift his career without the weapons he enjoys on this team. He needs a very good supporting cast around him on offense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the Jets don't deal for Watson or RWilson.....they are taking ZWilson second overall.

If they do deal for a vet QB, that pick is going to a team that just traded their QB.

Only way to get ZWilson is to convince the Jets to want Prescott (and pay him) and Prescott to want the Jets.

The guy who controls Prescotts rights doesn't as much as want to pressure Dak and his agent with possible trade scenarios, let alone actually do it.

One side is playing hardball, the other is begging.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I thought this was a done deal and evidently I was wrong and there's a chance a deal does not get done and what good does it do to tag Prescott for one year? If they tag him and keep him for the year, that's all they're getting from him and then the new QB era will begin.

This is all about the future of the team and a tag is just running in place when they need to be moving forward.

If they do use the tag, they need a strict deadline for getting a long term deal into place at least one week prior to the draft. At that point, they can explore their options about which QB to take and rescind the tag and he can go wherever he wants that will pay him 41.5M for 3 years.

Am I missing something here? They've been at this for two years and haven't been able to come to terms and that deadline story from Prescott is starting to look just like that, a story.

What does a tag do? Buy more time. Time for what? Either they feel he is a 40M QB and the QB of the future or they don't.

His agent is a take it or leave it negotiator so nothing is going to change and the Joneses are doing nothing but wasting time if they are not going to meet his demands.

The non exclusive tag will not work. Name the team that will forfeit 2 1sts and pay Prescott what he wants. All that does is add more time to a situation that has already taken too much time.

They need a self-imposed deadline for themselves to move forward, not for a deal to get done unless they are giving in.

If Prescott hasn't come off that position, let him go seek out a new team and draft a QB with that 1st but they will have to move up as the number projected is now up to 5 QB's in the 1st 10 picks, which will be a record. And I think it is apparent that he's going to play hardball with them as this has gone on longer than any contract negotiation in NFL history.

I realize the inherent risk in drafting a QB and the need for D help but this is what it is. This team cannot begin to fix their problems paying a QB 37.7M for one season. What's the reasoning in that? They can't even keep average players on their defense. Quinn starts off in a hole.

But the real deadline is accepting the fact the Prescott era is over and a new one beginning. Take the QB and use the money on a couple of real FA's, not third wavers, and quite possibly because of the talent on the offense, a rookie QB can step in much like Marino, Rothliesberger and Prescott were able to do and they have a better season than they would have had with a tagged QB.

Deadlines aren't for just getting deals done but for ourselves in making the hard tough decisions that we'd prefer not to make but they must be made for that coaching staff and 52 other players. It's about them, not him.

The Jones boys have taken a manageable situation and turned it into 2 years of drama, all because they wanted to control something not entirely in their control.

Once again, egos got in the way - a recurring theme in Jerry's world. Hard to believe this team hasn't won anything in decades.

At this point Dak has no reason to do anything. He's going to leave for nothing, this year or the next, unless Jerry completely caves.

I don't advise doing so but would it surprise anyone? Jerry went from "Zeke who?" to making him the highest paid RB in short order.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think they can pry #2 away from NY unless somehow Prescott is part of it....or trading away the picks needed to field a decent defense.

I just can't see this FO getting successfully creative at all here.

The choices are really to sign him to huge money....

The saving grace here is the player is insisting on a shorter term....and the team can't kick the can down the road on restructures.

I personally think Prescott "betting on himself" and not signing a massive deal (with the huge bonus that goes with it) is one of the dumbest decisions in pro sports history considering the injury possibility, etc.

The Jets may be one team willing to overpay Dak.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do you agree with me that it's easier then ever to find a QB? I upset a lot of people when I say that.
I agree that it is easier because the NFL changed their ways from making the QB bend to their will to bending their OC to the QB's will.

Look at those plays being called by Reid for Mahomes, have you seen him call those for any other QB, including McNabb? He studied Mahomes and what he needed and then gave it to him.

The NFL has changed from "I need the QB to do.........." to "I need the QB".

It's been a while so many probably don't remember but Shula changed his offense when he got Marino and Tomlin did the same thing with Rothliesberger. It's a new age in the NFL, fitting the team around the QB instead of trying to make him fit the scheme.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Jets may be one team willing to overpay Dak.

They would really have to over rate him as a player.. Like over rate him like some Zoners do on here. I don't think an NFL team would do that.

Especially a team that's already bad. They would be better off signing Darnold long term and building around him then trading for Dak.

I know it's a radical thing to say but Dak is not a ton better than Darnold and if you give them similar situations they will get similar outcomes. Darnold still have upside too.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not going to end good for Dak. He is going to throw away staying a Cowboy and racking up millions in advertisements. Dak is a blinded fool if he thinks going somewhere else will lift his career without the weapons he enjoys on this team. He needs a very good supporting cast around him on offense.
Very true but many athletes do not consider that part of it. Brady sure did.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
WILSON,Lawrence, Jones, Lance, fields
I haven't watched Wilson or Lance at all. I think the opinion inside the NFL may be higher on Jones than the general public opinion. If I had a fairly talented team and I needed a QB to execute the offense, I would be looking closely at him. I think his floor is pretty solid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree that it is easier because the NFL changed their ways from making the QB bend to their will to bending their OC to the QB's will.

Look at those plays being called by Reid for Mahomes, have you seen him call those for any other QB, including McNabb? He studied Mahomes and what he needed and then gave it to him.

The NFL has changed from "I need the QB to do.........." to "I need the QB".

It's been a while so many probably don't remember but Shula changed his offense when he got Marino and Tomlin did the same thing with Rothliesberger. It's a new age in the NFL, fitting the team around the QB instead of trying to make him fit the scheme.

Exactly.

Qb's are easier then ever to find. We found Dak in the 4th round and put a nearly perfect offensive supporting cast around him.

Lamar Jackson makes about 1 or 2 reads and takes off running every play.

I see no reason to sign a Dak or Kirk Cousins to their demands when they aren't elevating the team anyways.

Pay the elite and let the Dak's walk when they ask for elite money.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Chicago Bears I think would.. Washington would.. I think NYG knows that Daniel Jones deal is almost up and they would sign Dak.

I think if he's a free agent then he has a few suitors. I just don't think anyone gives us picks for him.

When would these teams you mentioned would sign Dak to a $200M contract? Is Dak passing a vigorous physical before the draft? No. Is Dak passing a vigorous physical at the beginning of FA? Definitely not. After FA and the draft, no team is offering Dak $200M since the teams will have all but finalized their rosters.

Are you paying top dollar for a car in the garage after a horrific accident with the mechanic saying just a scratch, it will be good as new. You will see when you take it for a test drive which is after you pay my ridiculous price.

You pay top dollar first, I fix it, and you test drive it. No, you don’t get your money back if it don’t run. Now sign here. Your wife (fans) likes the car so shut up and sign.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't watched Wilson or Lance at all. I think the opinion inside the NFL may be higher on Jones than the general public opinion. If I had a fairly talented team and I needed a QB to execute the offense, I would be looking closely at him. I think his floor is pretty solid.
I think someone goes up for Jones, into the top 10. He and Trask have that going up against the better D's going for them. The drawback is that they had the best weapons in college football.

Swagger

Reaction score
Agree. 49ers would be a nice fit for Jones.
This QB draft class looks loaded. We really shouldn't be held to hostage by Dak Prescott and his agent.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I thought this was a done deal and evidently I was wrong and there's a chance a deal does not get done and what good does it do to tag Prescott for one year? If they tag him and keep him for the year, that's all they're getting from him and then the new QB era will begin.

This is all about the future of the team and a tag is just running in place when they need to be moving forward.

If they do use the tag, they need a strict deadline for getting a long term deal into place at least one week prior to the draft. At that point, they can explore their options about which QB to take and rescind the tag and he can go wherever he wants that will pay him 41.5M for 3 years.

Am I missing something here? They've been at this for two years and haven't been able to come to terms and that deadline story from Prescott is starting to look just like that, a story.

What does a tag do? Buy more time. Time for what? Either they feel he is a 40M QB and the QB of the future or they don't.

His agent is a take it or leave it negotiator so nothing is going to change and the Joneses are doing nothing but wasting time if they are not going to meet his demands.

The non exclusive tag will not work. Name the team that will forfeit 2 1sts and pay Prescott what he wants. All that does is add more time to a situation that has already taken too much time.

They need a self-imposed deadline for themselves to move forward, not for a deal to get done unless they are giving in.

If Prescott hasn't come off that position, let him go seek out a new team and draft a QB with that 1st but they will have to move up as the number projected is now up to 5 QB's in the 1st 10 picks, which will be a record. And I think it is apparent that he's going to play hardball with them as this has gone on longer than any contract negotiation in NFL history.

I realize the inherent risk in drafting a QB and the need for D help but this is what it is. This team cannot begin to fix their problems paying a QB 37.7M for one season. What's the reasoning in that? They can't even keep average players on their defense. Quinn starts off in a hole.

But the real deadline is accepting the fact the Prescott era is over and a new one beginning. Take the QB and use the money on a couple of real FA's, not third wavers, and quite possibly because of the talent on the offense, a rookie QB can step in much like Marino, Rothliesberger and Prescott were able to do and they have a better season than they would have had with a tagged QB.

Deadlines aren't for just getting deals done but for ourselves in making the hard tough decisions that we'd prefer not to make but they must be made for that coaching staff and 52 other players. It's about them, not him.

First off I told you when you said a deal was already done and they were just waiting was BS. If they had a deal Jones would have wanted that to be the biggest news which it would have been like I said. I give credit for freely admitting that was wrong. That was a good thing.

Next a team can't put any conditions on a tag. The tag on how it works and any conditions are done by the league. The only deadline the Cowboys and every other team that has tagged a player is July 15th.

On last July 15th in the last hour or so Prescott was doing his own negotiating and they agreed on 35 mil a year but couldn't get the length or guaranteed amount done before the deadline so at this point I doubt that Prescott will sit by and let France again not negotiate and just stick to his demands.

Lastly the Cowboys tagged Lawrence a second time and then about 10 days later signed him to a long term contract so just because Prescott gets tagged a second time does not rule out getting a contract done.