Sell me on why we should/shouldn't draft Calvin Ridley in the first

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Seems to a very polarizing possibility for a player the Cowboys seem to have alot of interest.

I want to hear from you all why we should or shouldnt draft Ridley in the first

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Dane Brugler has me sold on the whole "Perfect Z Receiver for Dak" argument, a WR that runs great routes, gets open and should be a deep threat? yes please......of course the whole slight build and drops thing is a downer but Ill take the chance.....

That said, Id be cool with D.J. Moore....or if we can get Roquan Smith or Derwin James somehow.....

RandyOh

Reaction score
Out of all the WRs in this years class, Ridley has the best chance of having a long successful career but i don't think he will be a #1 receiver on any team (expect maybe the Patriots but they are on a whole nother level compared to the rest of league). He will be a top level #2 at best. I just think that DJ Moore and maybe even Courtland Sutton have the potential to be a teams star WR on the outside for 10+ years. Its either take the potential or the lesser but guaranteed success. I think we will take the safe route if Ridley last to our pick but i would rather roll the dice on Moore who has the potential to be a much better player in the long run. This is of course if we are set on taking a WR at 19.

rkell87

Reaction score
It won't have the impact you think it will on the offense. We have much larger needs in other places, LB and safety especially. LG, 1T, MLB, free and strong safety have no starters that you'd be confident and comfortable in as a fan base yet we want a WR that will most likely give us production on par with Twills best year this year. We will need a new WR soon but this year isn't that year, at least in the first.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
-Old (24) and physically maxed out.
-Tested as a really poor athlete with some very pedestrian explosiveness scores.
-Doesn't go up and get 50-50 balls.
-I'm not as sold on his route running as some are.

He's still fast, quick in and out of breaks, and pretty technically polished, so I could see how he could succeed as an underneath receiver in the pros. But I'm not using the #19 pick on him. I think he's more of a second rounder.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
After reading up some on Calvin, it's kinda tough to not have an interest in him being on 'our' roster, he' s 6'1" 190lbs which is conducive to his attributed blazing speed,although not so much when getting jammed up at the los,,,they're saying he can almost effortlessly produce separation in any/ all of the myriad of receiving routes,yet he ain't from ARKANSAS,,,o_O

YA-KNOW?,u'all trying to deviate me from my defensive draft position are starting to gain some traction, but I don't know if I could really handle witnessing another opponent never sweat having an injured punter,knowing they can convert on 4th down seemingly at will against us, I'd be happy to see #19 signed for another season & targeted 3x's more,besides that Ridley will probably tear an Achilles in training camp for who ever drafts him anywayo_O

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
While Ridley is a solid WR and would be good to have on this team, I think we have more pressing needs than WR at 19. I can think of quite a few WRs that I'd happily draft between rounds 2-5. As of right now, I think our most pressing needs are LG, DT, LB, maybe DE, and maybe safety. Either of those should be our pick at 19. Therefore, our pick should be one of the following: Hernandez, Wynn, Vea (if available), Roquan Smith, and maybe a few others. If somehow all of those players are gone at 19, then sure, we can get Ridley if he's available.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bust rate is high on first round WRs. He’s a guy who’s got questions on his ability to get off the jamb. Receivers can be found in the top three rounds, and it’s a position that touches the ball a handful of times per game.

Take the defender. Or trade down and take the OG in a pinch. Get the WR in round 2 or 3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems to a very polarizing possibility for a player the Cowboys seem to have alot of interest.

Part of the reason the Cowboys offense is overly simple is because their WRs can't handle something more complicated. Beasley could but he is limited to the short area.

Ridley has legit NFL instincts.

Fans don't like him because he is neither 6-3 or a 4.3 forty guy.

Moore has great upside but is a bigger risk. The interview would be critical if drafting him. His route simple but I think part of that was due to the QB.

The interview would be critical St. Brown also. He appears intelligent but toughness and love of football might be a question.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bust rate is high on first round WRs. He’s a guy who’s got questions on his ability to get off the jamb. Receivers can be found in the top three rounds, and it’s a position that touches the ball a handful of times per game.

Take the defender. Or trade down and take the OG in a pinch. Get the WR in round 2 or 3.
Most defensive players never touch the ball. Same with OLinemen.

The Cowboys must find a #1 WR unless they are hiring the Patriots OC. Even then they have to replace Dez. He could never function in that offense.

At this time next year if they don't have a Dez replacement on the roster then they have not made much progress.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys must find a #1 WR unless they are hiring the Patriots OC. Even then they have to replace Dez. He could never function in that offense.

At this time next year if they don't have a Dez replacement on the roster then they have not made much progress.

Honestly, I don’t care if they have one or not. Dak played pretty well with no Dez in 2016 for the three games he was out. And you can find WRs in the top 100s in most drafts. I also don’t buy that our whole WR corps wet the bed at once last season.

WR is just not that big an issue. Address the defense. Shore up OL depth, and we’ll be ok on offense.

Melonfeud

Reaction score

:lmao:,,,:huh:,,,:confused:,,,:lmao2:

:starspin:o_O:starspin:

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
I’m setting myself up for disappointment because I believe he the Cowboys’ top target, but I really, really hope we don’t draft him.

Philosophically, I would have a lot of issues with it. Here’s a post of mine from another thread.

“I don’t want a 24 year old rookie in the 1st round because he’s missing around three years off his physical prime. It would be easier to accept if he were a 6’5”, 215 lb athletic freak, but he isn’t. We’re talking about a 6’0”, 189 lb one-dimensional athlete. A 24 year old rookie is already less than ideal, but a 24 year old rookie who only maxes out as a great #2 WR would be an extremely disappointing pick. I don’t want to spend a 1st round pick on a player who’s already scratching his low ceiling.”

I also have some criticisms regarding his game. He’s a terrible run blocker. On a run first team, that’s a recipe for disaster. He also had 20 drops in three season at Alabama and he body catches far more than I would like. His catch radius isn’t all that great in general, being a shorter guy with very little leaping ability.

It’s getting old having to keep saying it, but D.J. Moore is not only a better receiver, but also a better fit for this team. Both are great route runners, both create separation, but D.J. Moore is bigger, stronger, faster, has better hands, he’s a better run blocker and he’s far better after the catch. I don’t think this team would draft him, but I would take Courtland Sutton over him as well.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me to draft Calvin Ridley, who’s been the top receiver only by default.

Finally, I would despise the pick mainly because there’s a lot of other players I would rather have and I don’t care if we have to trade up to get one of them. Derwin James being the top of that list.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I’m setting myself up for disappointment because I believe he the Cowboys’ top target, but I really, really hope we don’t draft him.

Philosophically, I would have a lot of issues with it. Here’s a post of mine from another thread.

“I don’t want a 24 year old rookie in the 1st round because he’s missing around three years off his physical prime. It would be easier to accept if he were a 6’5”, 215 lb athletic freak, but he isn’t. We’re talking about a 6’0”, 189 lb one-dimensional athlete. A 24 year old rookie is already less than ideal, but a 24 year old rookie who only maxes out as a great #2 WR would be an extremely disappointing pick. I don’t want to spend a 1st round pick on a player who’s already scratching his low ceiling.”

I also have some criticisms regarding his game. He’s a terrible run blocker. On a run first team, that’s a recipe for disaster. He also had 20 drops in three season at Alabama and he body catches far more than I would like. His catch radius isn’t all that great in general, being a shorter guy with very little leaping ability.

It’s getting old having to keep saying it, but D.J. Moore is not only a better receiver, but also a better fit for this team. Both are great route runners, both create separation, but D.J. Moore is bigger, stronger, faster, has better hands, he’s a better run blocker and he’s far better after the catch. I don’t think this team would draft him, but I would take Courtland Sutton over him as well.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me to draft Calvin Ridley, who’s been the top receiver only by default.

Finally, I would despise the pick mainly because there’s a lot of other players I would rather have and I don’t care if we have to trade up to get one of them. Derwin James being the top of that list.
:dance:I can groove to the gist of yer' style all day!

*FOLLOWING* nowo_O

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I think he the WR that could come in and have the fastest impact but I don’t think he is the best long term.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Out of all the WRs in this years class, Ridley has the best chance of having a long successful career but i don't think he will be a #1 receiver on any team (expect maybe the Patriots but they are on a whole nother level compared to the rest of league). He will be a top level #2 at best. I just think that DJ Moore and maybe even Courtland Sutton have the potential to be a teams star WR on the outside for 10+ years. Its either take the potential or the lesser but guaranteed success. I think we will take the safe route if Ridley last to our pick but i would rather roll the dice on Moore who has the potential to be a much better player in the long run. This is of course if we are set on taking a WR at 19.
Dak had the best 3 game run of his career when Dez was out in 2016. Why? Because the team was opening the field up with different routes in different areas. With Dez he is basically going to tie up one side of the field. Which bottles up the offense. How many times did we see Romo and Dak target TW over the middle , and in the background you see Dez trying to get into TW's zone and almost collide with him?

Dez is an amazing athlete but he isnt a great WR. I get frustrated when thinking about how great Dez could've been if only he put in the time that the great WRs did (Rice, Irving, Brown, Largent). And even the WRs in todays game that have put in the work. Dez had 3 great yrs and injury riddled/dissapointing 5 yrs.

If you take out the emotion and judge his career without knowing its him, you would say his career has been wasted for the most part.

DanA

Reaction score
He's 24 and WR's have the highest bust rate of any position in the 1st round. As far as receivers go I actually think he's a low likelihood of busting but I look at guys like Payne, Wynn, and Hernandez and think they're can't miss prospects by comparison.

jday

Reaction score

I honestly don't believe there is enough separation in talent from him to his peers to justify taking a nice-to-have versus a have-to-have (ol, ilb, s). There will be receivers who can contribute as late as the fourth.