Sham: 'A lot of folks' think Alabama's Mark Barron can step in and play for Cowboys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SportsDayDFW.com
SportsDayDFW.com The Dallas Morning News
Published: 10 April 2012 07:59 PM

Related

Cowboys radio voice Brad Sham answered reader questions during a live chat Tuesday. Here are some highlights:

If we need starters with the first three picks, then why would JJ draft Barron? Can he actually beat out Pool? or Senasbaugh?
Brad Sham: If they take Barron, and they might, it will be because they think he can step in and play. And a lot of folks think he can.

why draft Barron when we have young guys like Church and McCray on the team, I thought we were trying to build within the team.
Brad Sham: If they take Barron, it will be because they think he's better. There are plenty of chances for Church and McCray to contribute. Maybe Danny McCray has a career like Bill Bates. That's not impossible. Don't forget the importance of special teams.

Read more: http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...k-barron-can-step-in-and-play-for-cowboys.ece

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If we need starters with the first three picks, then why would JJ draft Barron? Can he actually beat out Pool?

Do people realize that Brodney Pool couldn't start for the Jets, and that the Jets were (and still are) absolutely desperate for safeties?

Everyone upset about the Cowboys signing a proven NFL starter like Livings, but are perfectly fine with Pool starting at safety ... what world are these people living in?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4501793 said:
why draft Barron when we have young guys like Church and McCray on the team, I thought we were trying to build within the team.
Brad Sham: If they take Barron, it will be because they think he's better. There are plenty of chances for Church and McCray to contribute. Maybe Danny McCray has a career like Bill Bates. That's not impossible. Don't forget the importance of special teams.

Really an odd question. Isn't drafting players how you build from within? Why draft a Center when you have Kowalski or a guard when you have Nagy and Arkin?

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501813 said:
Do people realize that Brodney Pool couldn't start for the Jets, and that the Jets were (and still are) absolutely desperate for safeties?

Everyone upset about the Cowboys signing a proven NFL starter like Livings, but are perfectly fine with Pool starting at safety ... what world are these people living in?

Not to mention that he is on a one year deal.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If the Cowboys take Barron, and right now today, this is the guy I believe we are going to end up taking, it is because they see him as the best Safety on the football team from day 1.

I have never understood the loyalty fans show to players who aren't even starting. "What about McCray and Church?" What about them? If you're that invested in them, start them. There's no need to not improve any position if you can.

I still say DeCastro and (not or) Konz put us in the Super Bowl, and that is who we should target.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4501817 said:
Really an odd question. Isn't drafting players how you build from within? Why draft a Center when you have Kowalski or a guard when you have Nagy and Arkin?

Joe Rod, your signature has always had me curious. What is the cat burger that Dez is about to eat supposed to represent??

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Hostile;4501820 said:
I still say DeCastro and (not or) Konz put us in the Super Bowl

While Livings and Costa put us in the Kyle Orton era :laugh2:

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
CATCH17;4501823 said:
Joe Rod, your signature has always had me curious. What is the cat burger that Dez is about to eat supposed to represent??

It was a joke on draft night. When Dez was drafted and that scene came up on ESPN, someone (I believe it was Brainpaint) mentioned it looked like he was holding an invisible sandwich in his hands.

After Hypnotoad produced a pic of that scene where he actually stuck in a sandwich, people kept suggesting different things to add to it.

That was a good time.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I listed the the list of names of the players we've had starting at safety for us since 2003 in another thread. It really is a stunning list of nobodies and fringe NFL players. Keith Davis, Willie Pyle, etc. The fact that there is so little outcry to fix it, show how little the average fan values defense. Everyone is ready to riot in the streets because Phil Costa started one year on the offensive line. We've been starting Phil Costa players in the secondary for 8 years, and people still want to address the offense first.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501832 said:
I listed the the list of names of the players we've had starting at safety for us since 2003 in another thread. It really is a stunning list of nobodies and fringe NFL players. Keith Davis, Willie Pyle, etc. The fact that there is so little outcry to fix it, show how little the average fan values defense. Everyone is ready to riot in the streets because Phil Costa started one year on the offensive line. We've been starting Phil Costa players in the secondary for 8 years, and people still want to address the offense first.

The reason for that is people have probably gave up on the Cowboys fixing the defense.

They've spent pick after pick on defense and in the end we ended up with a bunch of quitters.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Hostile;4501820 said:
If the Cowboys take Barron, and right now today, this is the guy I believe we are going to end up taking, it is because they see him as the best Safety on the football team from day 1.

I have never understood the loyalty fans show to players who aren't even starting. "What about McCray and Church?" What about them? If you're that invested in them, start them. There's no need to not improve any position if you can.

I still say DeCastro and (not or) Konz put us in the Super Bowl, and that is who we should target.

With college football putting out elite potential safeties at a rate of about 1 per year these days, and never knowing where you'll pick in the draft, I say that if we have the opportunity to draft one, we should do it.

As much as I would love to have an immovable wall in front of Romo immediately, I think we're going to have to trust Jason Garrett on this one with the Bernadeau and Livings signings that they're good enough next to our tackles, and that they plan to upgrade the Center position with either Konz or Blake.

That frees us up to take a safety. If he turns out anywhere close to what Eric Berry or Earl Thomas have been, then we've hit on the pick and with Sensabaugh being pretty good and the addition of Carr (and hopefully Jenkins' continued high level of play) we might finally have a secondary with no holes since the Woodson era.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
casmith07;4501854 said:
With college football putting out elite potential safeties at a rate of about 1 per year these days, and never knowing where you'll pick in the draft, I say that if we have the opportunity to draft one, we should do it.

As much as I would love to have an immovable wall in front of Romo immediately, I think we're going to have to trust Jason Garrett on this one with the Bernadeau and Livings signings that they're good enough next to our tackles, and that they plan to upgrade the Center position with either Konz or Blake.

That frees us up to take a safety. If he turns out anywhere close to what Eric Berry or Earl Thomas have been, then we've hit on the pick and with Sensabaugh being pretty good and the addition of Carr (and hopefully Jenkins' continued high level of play) we might finally have a secondary with no holes since the Woodson era.

I just hope Barron isn't a product of the front 7 in front of him.

The guy made a lot of nice plays though and if he is anything like Eric Berry or Earl Thomas than that would help us out bigtime.

I see those 2 guys as great at covering and Barron is just solid at everything.

I don't think we need to spend a 1st rounder on a solid safety. The guy better bring an impact. Hopefully if we get him he's the next Woodson and not the next Hamlin.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501852 said:
The reason for that is people have probably gave up on the Cowboys fixing the defense.

They've spent pick after pick on defense and in the end we ended up with a bunch of quitters.

I disagree that the've spent pick after pick on defense, especially since Parcells left. We've taken #2 WRs and role RBs in the first round, and 2nd TEs in the 2nd. We've probably allocated less to the DL in the last 5-6 years than any team in the NFL by a considerable margin. No other team in the league would put up with 8-9 years of a succession of Willie Pyle, Marcus Coleman, Keith Davis and Alan Ball as starters at a position.

Jerry's been looking for "sizzle" and "Wow factor", and that typically means offensive players, because he's a salesman and that's generally what the customer always wants.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501861 said:
I disagree that the've spent pick after pick on defense, especially since Parcells left. We've taken #2 WRs and role RBs in the first round, and 2nd TEs in the 2nd. We've probably allocated less to the DL in the last 5-6 years than any team in the NFL by a considerable margin. No other team in the league would put up with 8-9 years of a succession of Willie Pyle, Marcus Coleman, Keith Davis and Alan Ball as starters at a position.

Jerry's been looking for "sizzle" and "Wow factor", and that typically means offensive players, because he's a salesman and that's generally what the customer always wants.

How many years did we go defense? It was from like 97-2008.

The Cowboys offensive picks haven't been that bad. I think Dez is a baller and Felix when healthy is a really good back (terrible value for where we picked him though).

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501865 said:
How many years did we go defense? It was from like 97-2008.

The Cowboys offensive picks haven't been that bad. I think Dez is a baller and Felix when healthy is a really good back (terrible value for where we picked him though).

Dez thus far has proven he's an adequate #2 WR. I think 'really good back" might be stretching it in Felix case. He's flashed here and there, but he's got a significant enough sample size now to deem him a backup caliber NFL RB. Drafting blocking TEs in the 2nd round is absolutely unforgivable. Tyron Smith is really the only offensive player that's blew me away.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501868 said:
Dez thus far has proven he's an adequate #2 WR. I think 'really good back" might be stretching it in Felix case. He's flashed here and there, but he's got a significant enough sample size now to deem him a backup caliber NFL RB. Drafting blocking TEs in the 2nd round is absolutely unforgivable. Tyron Smith is really the only offensive player that's blew me away.

I disagree about Felix. He can start for a lot of teams in this league. He's developed into an all around back.

The problem with him is health. So if you can't count on him, then yeah, he probably is a backup only.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4501832 said:
You're damn skippy I do. I think we're 2 players away from being a top 5 Offense. No two players in the world get us to top 5 Defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;4501888 said:
You're damn skippy I do. I think we're 2 players away from being a top 5 Offense. No two players in the world get us to top 5 Defense.

Disagree.

A better pass rush is the best quick fix for a defense.

We already have the best in the league at getting to the QB and we have nothing else around him pass rush wise.

We need better blocking but we're going to have to put pressure on Vick and Eli if we want to win this division or else the game will be over before halftime like it was in 3 of our 4 games against those opponents.