Sham: 'A lot of folks' think Alabama's Mark Barron can step in and play for Cowboys

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4501916 said:
I assume you mean Konz and DeCastro, but if so that won't do it.

The top offenses NE, NO, GB have 4 or 5 pass catchers that can create matchup problems. Dallas still would not have that. We have 3 and some udfa practice squad hope to develop guys.

If you told me DeCastro and Fleener or DeCastro and Stephen Hill/Alshon Jeffrey then maybe.
I disagree, we have 4. Miles, Dez, Jason, and either Felix or Demarco. I will take Ogletree at WR with that OL more than you making me live with a lesser OL and giving me any WR or TE in this Draft. Hell, I'll take Ryan Broyles in the 3rd round over Costa any day.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
casmith07;4502055 said:
I don't think that either one of those guys provides any better play than Spencer.

It's a numbers game. The more pressure players the better (See Giants). Hopefully someone else besides Ware will be on during a game.

If they give effort than they are already on their way to being better than Spencer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;4501919 said:
We don't need to be a top 5 defense. We need to get better at pressuring the QB and causing turnovers.

Guys like Fletcher Cox and Bruce Irvin come to mind. Pressure players.
I like our chances a lot better if one side of the ball we are hard for teams to deal with and we are 2 players away on Offense from being potentially the best Offense in the NFL. Give Romo time to throw and Murray holes to hit and I don't believe we can be beaten long haul.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gaede;4501971 said:
I wanna know why the only way for this team to win is to surround our QB with 1st round picks.

Other teams succeed with less, why can't we?

The real question is:
Who are we covering up for? Romo or the OC?
It isn't the only way. It is the closest way. Being dominant on one side of the football is how teams win.

Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, New York. Each of those teams is dominant on one side and steady on the other. We are closer to being dominant on Offense and steady on Defense than we are being dominant on Defense and steady on Offense.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4502067 said:
I disagree, we have 4. Miles, Dez, Jason, and either Felix or Demarco.

Hostile, let me explain in more detail what I mean.

There are 5 non-quarterbacks that can either attack the defense by going out for a pass on a given play. The Saints and Packers bring in 3 excellent, fast wide receivers on every play and have a fast, seam tight end stressing the defense. The defense often has to go to nickle or dime to attempt to matchup.

For most teams, corner 1 and corner 2 are decent and they may even have a capable 3rd. Nobody has a good 4th corner. The Saints and Packer don't care that you take out their #1 because they are going to attack your #3 and #4 corner or #3 corner and 6 foot safety trying to matchup with an NBA small forward and wr 3 guy that runs 4.35. We saw this last year with Laurent Robinson. He was not a better player than Miles Austin but he got covered by the short, slow kid with no safety over the top.

We don't have that anymore. We have better WR1 and WR2 than the Saints, but our WR 3 and WR 4 are not close. Our tight end serves the same function that their WR1 does on alot of plays, but Witten is not the matchup nightmare that Graham is especially when covered by a linebacker. In fact, there has never been a matchup problem like Graham.

As good as Dez and Miles are they do not have the advantage that the Packers/Saints' 4th wide receiver has over the 4th corner because they are being covered by corners 1 and 2, often with safety help.

Felix and Murray can do some Marshall Faulk lite stuff out of the backfield, but they are not going to cause the bad substitutions that those other teams will. Even if they do it well, they won't be any more of a pain than Sproles.

The Packers don't even pretend to run the ball. They just bring in waves of quick, fast receivers that you can't touch past 5 yards.

Gaede

Reaction score
Hostile;4502081 said:
It isn't the only way. It is the closest way. Being dominant on one side of the football is how teams win.

I don't really agree with that. Green Bay was as dominant as they come on offense, but their D was so bad that they didn't go anywhere.

Balance is still fundamental and the Giants proved as much. Great passing attack + great pass rush + good coaching.

Building up one front and leaving the other exposed can crush weaker opponents but not stronger ones.

ware1manarmy

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4501913 said:
A top 5 offensive can cover up for a bottom ranked defense. Look at NE and GB last year. Heck, I think we are a DeCastro away from being a top 5 offense and a Konz away from being #1 or #2 in this league on offense.
and both teams lost in playoffs to team with better defense

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Barron would be my pick its a need and if he can just play good (it doesn't need to be outstanding just good) and this defense is on its way to being pretty stout

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
ware1manarmy;4502174 said:
and both teams lost in playoffs to team with better defense

Yet GB beat the Steelers who had the #1 ranked defense in the SB one year ago.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This whole discussion is ********.

You need the biggest passing efficiency differential. That differential has a .80 correalation to winning, the highest known correalation other than points differential (.85). Having one good unit doesn't mean you can compensate for garbage on the other side of the ball. That's offensive passer rating - defensive passer rating against.

We had the 4th rated passing offense in the NFL last year. I repeat .. FOURTH!!! And this was with a plague of injuries. WE ALREADY HAVE A TOP 5 OFFENSE!!!

We didn't get into the playoffs because this defense is complete and utter garbage and has been for several years (anyone still think Wade's schemes were to blame for 2010's 31st ranked defense?). The defensive personnel is garbage, and even Stephen Jones has admitted as much. We've had complete and utter garbage at safety for almost 10 years, and Cowboys fans just eat it up because they've gotten accustomed to the taste of garabage or they've convinced themselves that garbage can taste better if you throw a little salt and pepper or hot sauce on it to cover it up.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Honestly I don't buy all this "we are closer on offense" BS. We are there on offense. The bottom line really is that Decastro is the safest pick and I think some are scared to roll the dice given our draft history.

I firmly believe we are 1-2 players away from an elite defense and I firmly believe we have an already elite offense. The numbers are there. They don't lie. We can score with anybody and we can do it any number of ways.

It has to be a pressure player in the first round.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4502219 said:

You might want to look at GB's defensive stats that season too. They were obviously the more well-rounded team. Not the team that was dominant on one side (Pittsburg).

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4502232 said:
This whole discussion is ********.

You need the biggest passing efficiency differential. That's offensive passer rating - defensive passer rating against. That differential has a .80 correalation to winning, the highest known correalation other than points differential (.85).

We had the 4th rated passing offense in the NFL last year. I repeat .. FOURTH!!! This was with a plague of injuries. WE ALREADY HAVE A TOP 5 OFFENSE.

We didn't get into the playoffs because this defense is complete and utter garbage and has been for several years. The personnel is garbage, and even Stephen has admitted as much.

:laugh2::bow:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
texbumthelife;4502244 said:
Honestly I don't buy all this "we are closer on offense" BS. We are there on offense. The bottom line really is that Decastro is the safest pick and I think some are scared to roll the dice given our draft history.

I don't even think it's that. It's just that some people have a pet cat.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gaede;4502125 said:
I don't really agree with that. Green Bay was as dominant as they come on offense, but their D was so bad that they didn't go anywhere.

Balance is still fundamental and the Giants proved as much. Great passing attack + great pass rush + good coaching.

Building up one front and leaving the other exposed can crush weaker opponents but not stronger ones.
They went to the playoffs at 15-1.

blandi60

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4502219 said:

Green Bay had the no1 defensive passer rating when they won and the year before New Orleans had the no3 def passer rating.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
texbumthelife;4502269 said:
*cough* New England Patriots *cough* 16-0 *cough*
Not sure what that has to do with Green Bay, but Nyquil for that cough.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
DCBoysfan;4501811 said:
I just dont see Dallas drafting Barron.

I'd prefer they go in another direction, but imo the writing is on the wall. They may not take him, but it will likely be because someone they thought would be gone falls to 14.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Hostile;4502276 said:
Not sure what that has to do with Green Bay, but Nyquil for that cough.

You mentioned them being 15-1. So I mentioned New England being 16-0. Not only that but having one of the most dominate offenses in history. They trucked through the regular season with ease and then got beat by the Giants in the Super Bowl.