Video: Shannon Sharpe: "Dak Prescott is a better QB now than as a rookie"

HungryLion

Reaction score
If it's so dumb and meaningless to you, why are you bothering to come in here and comment on it? It must bother you to some extent

I was commenting in this thread before the dumb argument was made. Then when it was made I felt it was appropriate to point out it was dumb.

The record factor doesn’t bother me. But dumb arguments do bother me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn't say you but most everyone else does. He has gotten better but he's hit his ceiling and whether you want to admit it to yourself or not he s not going to get any better. Last year was a career year for him (padded with some garbage time stats and a very hot start against 3 horrible teams) i expect he will regress back to what he was in years 2-3 next season. Just my opinion
I don't know how you can say he's hit his ceiling, with any degree of certainty. At the beginning of last season there was a demonstrable improvement in his reads, his willingness to throw to a receiver who wasn't wide open, and his footwork in the pocket. He seemed to lose focus against more aggressive defenses, but even then, not as much as in previous years.

This year he'll be playing under a presumably better and less predictable system and coach, which will hopefully be geared toward his strengths. So another year of experience, better play design, and most likely a better defense to help keep him from having to play from behind, and it seems very possible that he has his best year yet.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I always thought that those other ten guys that walked on the field with him had some type of involvement with the outcome of the game but then I remembered. Their purpose is be there and receive the credit when the Cowboys win. They are that great talented team that Jerry surrounded Dak with.

Of course, when the Cowboys lose, it's Dak's fault.

Dak had more 300 yard games last season than the previous three seasons combined.

Dak had more 400 yard games last season than the previous three seasons combined.

Dak's passinng yardage last season was one yard shy of the Cowboy record held by Romo.

Dak's number of passing TD's last season marked only the 5th time in Cowboy history a QB threw for 30 or more passing TD's.

Doesn't seem like regression to me.

And all those extra yards amounted to what? More personal stat padding. Aside from realizing he hadn't earned a pay increase, Dak was also the one who publicly stated he recognized the fact that much of his stats came from garbage time stat padding. His words, not mine.

People keep wanting to use stats to justify overpaying Dak when he was the first one who stated he hasn't earned it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why is it stupid? break it down anyway you want but in the last 4 years we are winning less games, the trend is going down
Attributing teams stats to one player to fit your agenda is stupid. Pretty simple.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I love Shannon Sharpe, but not when he is on undisputed talking about Dak or the Cowboys. He hates the Cowboys and his position on the Cowboys is the one that makes them look bad. During the season all he does is tell Skip how avg Dak is. Then when Dak needs a new contract, he tells us how he should be paid like top 3.

Cmon Shannon, it cant be both. We can debate this all day long, but 5 year 175 million??? If thats what he was offered, I dont want to hear about anything else. 175 MILLION..... as in DOLLARS. Dont talk to mr about guarantees, because you know whatever it is, it is damn high.

Dont be talking to me about.... well he could be cut....when has a QB been signed to this kind of deal been cut? I will say this over and over and over. There is no way in hell that Dak is worth 28 million more to our cap than Dalton. Id take Dalton at 7 million and walk from Dak and his ridiculous demands.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
40-24 with very good stats and a playoff win.

I know it hurts.
:laugh:

“DURRRR BUT DAT’S CUZ DAK WAS CHEAP!!” - Go look up where Dallas ranked in total payroll the last few years.

Educate yourself so you’re not just spouting nonsense. FACTS are your friend.

Just like most in here do about Jerry... but, he hasnt won jack in 25 years (casually throwing out 3 sb titls in his case)

So how About Daks 27 and 21 record in the past 3 years? No exactly knocking anyones socks off. Missed playoffs in 2 of those 3 years. And this is with the QB that doesn miss any games. 5 years and 175 million isnt enough? Hit rocks, Pal

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah but he also had a clapping problem on the sidelines. Jerry took care of that, and gave him some M&M's. You can't go wrong with M&M's. :D
:muttley:
Strangely, the packers went wrong with M&Ms to the tune of a 21-22 record in his last 2.5 seasons..... with RODGERS at QB. Asstated in a great debate once.... Ive seen Rodgers play, and Dak.... you are not Aaron Rodgers.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like most in here do about Jerry... but, he hasnt won jack in 25 years (casually throwing out 3 sb titls in his case)

So how About Daks 27 and 21 record in the past 3 years? No exactly knocking anyones socks off. Missed playoffs in 2 of those 3 years. And this is with the QB that doesn miss any games. 5 years and 175 million isnt enough? Hit rocks, Pal

How about he has 13 wins the last 4 years against the Dog Giants and Skins?
How bout 14 of his 30 passing TD were against the Giants and Skins last year.
175 million Hit the rocks is correct...or RESCIND!!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak has improved since he was a rookie, he has gone from a top 17-20 QB in the league to a top 14-16 QB in the league...and that only took 4 years!!. We can do better than a 14-16 QB who wants 35-40M per season

If Dak were Mahomes, nobody, and I mean NOBODY in this forum would flinch. We would all be screaming at Jerry to give him 5 years and 200 million..... but alas, we have Dak, and Dak isnt worth no 175 million dollars and his agent trying to say hey, since the cap will be higher in 5 years from now, we want that 5th year to be way more than what it is today. I should have done that with my renters 4 years ago.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Team stat. Not to mention we play our division teams twice.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Thats a great point. The east quickly turned into the AFC east with the Dolphins, Jets and Bills. And with that, we still couldnt get into the playoffs last year.

slick325

Reaction score
The Anti-Dak and Anti-Cowboy media are also very Pro- Pay Dak.

They just like seeing the team lose on and off the field.

That is the most interesting thing about the Dak contract situation. All the people that have been anti-Dallas are almost all in agreement in support of Dak. I don't know what to make of it to he honest.

Maybe they are being objective and able to finally separate their disdain for the Dallas Cowboys and their adoration or respect for players on the team. Even on sports radio in DC, you will hear Skins fans and former Skins as well as radio personalities all pro-Dak. Strange to me but hey...these are strange times.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Strangely, the packers went wrong with M&Ms to the tune of a 21-22 record in his last 2.5 seasons..... with RODGERS at QB. Asstated in a great debate once.... Ive seen Rodgers play, and Dak.... you are not Aaron Rodgers.

And they too had some pretty bad defenses along that path, with no running game and a not so good OL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That is the most interesting thing about the Dak contract situation. All the people that have been anti-Dallas are almost all in agreement in support of Dak. I don't know what to make of it to he honest.

Maybe they are being objective and able to finally separate their disdain for the Dallas Cowboys and their adoration or respect for players on the team. Even on sports radio in DC, you will hear Skins fans and former Skins as well as radio personalities all pro-Dak. Strange to me but hey...these are strange times.

It's about like me hoping that the Commanders sink every penny into Kirk Cousins.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And they too had some pretty bad defenses along that path, with no running game and a not so good OL.
uhm..... and with JG, you place the blame for all that on him, no? But MM is not responsible for the state of the Packers TEAM?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
uhm..... and with JG, you place the blame for all that on him, no? But MM is not responsible for the state of the Packers TEAM?

Jason had a lot of talent he wasted. MM had AR. Give MM the teams Jason had and he would been successful with Tony and Dak.
AR is in his own zip code as to talent, he has proven he can carry a team at times. Not all the time, but more so than Dak. No argument there.

I am talking the entire teams here, not just Dak vs. AR. We know the differences there.
Also when I say MM vs Jason, I mean the entire coaching staff as well.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Of course he's a better QB then he was as a rookie.

His rookie year they designed a scheme for him (will give credit to Linehan here..I know) that played to his strengths (out of the pocket passing, roll outs, reading defenses, read progression, etc..).

He has come sooo far since then as a QB & he's getting better every year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2016 - 13-3
2017 - 9-7
2018 - 10-6
2019 - 8-8

Looks more like he has regressed from his rookie season in my opinion. Oh wait, I keep forgetting we're only putting him on a pedestal for his personal stats, not for anything he has done for the team.
He's a better player now overall. Better in so many ways that QBs need time to grow into.
The team just caught lightning in a bottle in 2016, with the league not being prepared for the wrinkles that Dak brought, that dominant oline, and league-leading rusher Zeke.

I'll leave it up to others to argue if that growth has gotten him to 185 mil over 5 years level....or highest paid player in NFL history.