Video: Shannon Sharpe: "Dak Prescott is a better QB now than as a rookie"

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak slobberers really struggling today with their daily Dak spam. You should have let America’s Cowboy handle it today. He would have scoured Twitter and found a stat saying Dak was the leading passer in night games played with winds in excess of 8MPH...
Do you have a problem with winning football games.

plasticman

Reaction score
And all those extra yards amounted to what? More personal stat padding. Aside from realizing he hadn't earned a pay increase, Dak was also the one who publicly stated he recognized the fact that much of his stats came from garbage time stat padding. His words, not mine.

People keep wanting to use stats to justify overpaying Dak when he was the first one who stated he hasn't earned it.
You're right. Add honesty to his many positive attributes. What a leader! We must pay him!

Reaction score
Moderator Edit: Required quoted source missing/video inserted/view video at 19:51 mark

His words quoted: "His team record might indicate otherwise. THE TEAM. But Dak Prescott is a better player now than he was as a rookie."

I would show the video, but it's 20 minutes long and some people probably don't wanna watch the whole thing. But it was from May 12, 2020..... so only 10 days ago. Seems this dude changes his tune on Dak a lot, but at the very least he seems to value Dak's potential. I guess this answers the question some people here are thinking that Dak is declining or maxing out. A lot better things are yet to come for Dak.

The problem is that the league figured him out in the first offseason and he hasn't been able to get past most good defenses since then. Sure, he's better now, but is it enough? Last 3 years have been horrible.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The problem is that the league figured him out in the first offseason and he hasn't been able to get past most good defenses since then. Sure, he's better now, but is it enough? Last 3 years have been horrible.
No the problem is our defense and special teams have performed below average

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If Dak were Mahomes, nobody, and I mean NOBODY in this forum would flinch. We would all be screaming at Jerry to give him 5 years and 200 million..... but alas, we have Dak, and Dak isnt worth no 175 million dollars and his agent trying to say hey, since the cap will be higher in 5 years from now, we want that 5th year to be way more than what it is today. I should have done that with my renters 4 years ago.

And that would be because Mahomes is 5 times the QB Dak is and can carry a team when needed to

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
2016 - 13-3
2017 - 9-7
2018 - 10-6
2019 - 8-8

Looks more like he has regressed from his rookie season in my opinion. Oh wait, I keep forgetting we're only putting him on a pedestal for his personal stats, not for anything he has done for the team.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Dak as a rookie >>> anything hes done since

He beat good teams

He led GWD

He had several 4QC

He threw way less INTs

If he went in a consistent upward trajectory since then, he would be worth what he is asking for.

He sucked in 2017

Was horrible for half of 2018

and stat padded in 2019

Endzoneview

Reaction score
2016 - 13-3
2017 - 9-7
2018 - 10-6
2019 - 8-8

Looks more like he has regressed from his rookie season in my opinion. Oh wait, I keep forgetting we're only putting him on a pedestal for his personal stats, not for anything he has done for the team.

Yes for sure, those losses were the ones Dak also played safety and corner and got burnt on go routes....yep, he played all 22 positions....child please

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course it is until one of you minions says and i quote "Dak is 40-24 as a starter" then it's a Dak stat....can't have it both ways!
It's you that is trying to have it both ways when you discount Dak's achieving a 40-24 record but then hold last years 8-8 record against him. Sample size matters.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It's you that is trying to have it both ways when you discount Dak's achieving a 40-24 record but then hold last years 8-8 record against him. Sample size matters.

Hmmm sample size matters? Ok then lets throw out the 13-3 season as that seems to be the outlier and look at 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8. Is Dak the one season 13-3 guy or is he more the average guy who goes anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6, which by the way averages out to 9-7, every way you look at Dak he screams average, you guys just don't see it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hmmm sample size matters? Ok then lets throw out the 13-3 season as that seems to be the outlier and look at 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8. Is Dak the one season 13-3 guy or is he more the average guy who goes anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6, which by the way averages out to 9-7, every way you look at Dak he screams average, you guys just don't see it
If you want to throw out outliers then be fair about it. Throw out the high and low...13-3 and 8-8. That leaves us with 9-7 and 10-6. Add those together and divide by 2 to get an average. That leaves us with 9.5 - 6.5. I'm averaging it up to 10-6... which is the average per season of 40-24. It's good enough to make the playoffs most years and now has even better odds of getting us to the playoffs with the new playoff format.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If you want to throw out outliers then be fair about it. Throw out the high and low...13-3 and 8-8. That leaves us with 9-7 and 10-6. Add those together and divide by 2 to get an average. That leaves us with 9.5 - 6.5. I'm averaging it up to 10-6... which is the average per season of 40-24. It's good enough to make the playoffs most years and now has even better odds of getting us to the playoffs with the new playoff format.

Well if you want to play that game then you can also look at the trends 13, 9,10,8 sure seems to be trending down if you ask me, bet you 5 bucks we don't win more than 7 this year

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well if you want to play that game then you can also look at the trends 13, 9,10,8 sure seems to be trending down if you ask me, bet you 5 bucks we don't win more than 7 this year
Our conversation has gone full circle. This is when I jumped in to say, "How many times do you need to hear it? Winning is a team stat."

5 bucks are hardly worth betting over. That's tantamount to just bragging rights and the loser eating crow. If that's all you can afford to lose then I don't want your money. Let's just agree this is over bragging rights. I'll even give you a game by saying the Cowboys will have a winning season.

Cmac

Reaction score
Dak is a better quarterback today then he was when he was a rookie? Is that considered an eloquent, intellectual statement today?

So....when a rookie gains more experience, they become better? Tell me, Shannon, is this connected in any way to the fact that players generally get better contracts after their rookie contract expires?

Does this mean that coaching is a good thing? Quarterbacks actually learn?

They should make some kind of inspirational wall art with a pretty picture and Shannon's genius observations printed on them.

Shannon, are faster receivers a good thing?
…..and there are many that look good rookie year, pre-season, year 2 or 3....and out the league by the 4th year.