Video: Shannon Sharpe: "Dak Prescott is a better QB now than as a rookie"

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You know....I'm getting really tired of pulling up all this information every time I'm being challenged to prove Dak is a great quarterback with the potential for many years of being good enough to win a Super Bowl. It's not that it's difficult, It's actually really easy It's just that it is so time consuming.

There are so many stats that support him so it really takes hours to gather the information. I'm just going to have to put it all in one place so I can just dump it all in a mile long rebuttel to any anti-Dak thread. I hope a 32 GB drive will be big enough to hold the files I have that conclusively demonstrate Dak's future potential.

That is the tremendous advantage of the anti-Daks. They don't have to invest a lot of time collecting their proof and evidence.....they don't have any..

They have the convenient luxury of basing their opinions on the 6 plays they remember from last season, or maybe an opinion they thought they heard from somewhere. Quite often, their opinion is based on an entirely distorted set of expectations or even some wierd, obsessive issue like Dak going to some party.

I think some just blame Dak for four years of humiliation because they were that anti-Dak self appointed expert with post after post warning everyone that this was the Cowboys worst draft pick ever, Dak won't even make it out of trtaining camp. If only the Cowboys had heeded his advice and moved up in the draft to selected Paxton Lynch.

I don't know. I guess it's possible that Dak closely resembles the guy currently banging their ex. That would be rough on Sundays.

They resent Dak's success in his rookie season because it ruined Tony Romo's magical happy ending?

We really don't know because they never tell us. Pretty much all they give us is some crude insulting phrase with no clue as to how they reached their "logical" conclusion.

Still, they are Cowboy fans like me, so no personal animosity, just confusion. I know anti-Daks love their Cowboys and share the annual disappointment of being one of the "other" 31 teams. This is especially true considering some of the ways the Cowboys exit the season.I get that. I would just love a rational, logical, and common sense reason why you wouldn't want to keep the QB with historically top five productivity in the first four seasons of a QB's career. Why wouldn't you want to pay a guy who will have earned the contract if he only repeats what he has already done at this point added to some playoff success.

Considering the perceived upgrades in coaching and teammates as well as another years of experience and training, What has he done to demonstrate that he can't make that happen?
:thumbup:

NotForLong

Reaction score
40-24 with very good stats and a playoff win.

I know it hurts.
:laugh:

“DURRRR BUT DAT’S CUZ DAK WAS CHEAP!!” - Go look up where Dallas ranked in total payroll the last few years.

Educate yourself so you’re not just spouting nonsense. FACTS are your friend.
"DURRR MY NAME IS NAV22 DURRRR"
:laugh::lmao2::lmao:

It feels good doing that. I can see why you do that all the time.

I feel like a 3 year old with a dirty diaper on
:facepalm:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dak slobberers really struggling today with their daily Dak spam. You should have let America’s Cowboy handle it today. He would have scoured Twitter and found a stat saying Dak was the leading passer in night games played with winds in excess of 8MPH...
:thumbup:

Cmac

Reaction score
Not that many.....fractional compared to QB's with good rookie seasons that go on to impressive careers.

Let's take a look at Dak's fellow successful rookies, shall we? First let's set the criteria for successful rookie season.

Their team won 10+ games that season.....because that's what "successful" is, isn't it?

They scored well in their passer rating ,meaning that they were indeed a contributor to their team's success.

They were healthy all season long,meaning that they started every game......you cannot credit another QB for the team's success.

I think we should also look at 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives to further determine their impact on that winning season.

So this is the entire list of QB's since 1990, 30 years, that started all their rookie games, 300+ pass attempts, 10+ wins, ranked by passer rating.

1 Dak Prescott
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Andrew Luck

One thing we might notice is that the list is small. Successful rookie quarterbacks are an extreme rarity. Typically, good ones will have a moderately impressive passer rating but with very little winning. These are the QB's in their rookie season whose team had two digit wins, while they ranked high in QB stats that season without detrimenting their team with an injury and missed playing time.

A 2nd thing you will notice is that Dak isn't just "in" the group, he actually leads it.

A 3rd thing is that we can all recognize these names and quickly conclude that none of them were "unsuccessful" later in their careers. Also, Only Dak And Wilson were not 1st round picks.

A 4th thing, most importantly, 3 of these 5 went on to play in the Super Bowl, a good sign for Dak since these are the QB's most similar to Dak's circumstances.

We can quickly conclude that QB's with the same level of Dak's productivity under the same parameters go on to long and very successful careers.
Analytics sometimes are like outfits.....you can dress them up anyway you want, to look good. Just saying. I'd prefer the eye test any day. Just me.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I get that. I think in my mind I always chalked it up to him being hungry and wanting to keep the job. Once he got it for good, that hunger to succeed on every play seemed to diminish and change into what do I need to do now to get paid. Just my feelings which don’t really matter at all.
It matters to me, because i think you are a 100% right

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is truth.. There are too many whiny arseholes with nothing better to do that sit around and worry and cry about Dak and his contract.. Get a life a say! The guy is going to get signed to a huge contract in the next few months and he deserves it end of story! Is he the best ever? No, but a great QB and even better man.. Dak will get paid, he is very very good, and get over it...

Sigmund Freud would have a field day with the above post.....
200.gif

NotForLong

Reaction score
I will also admit that after it goes on and on it is a bit unsettling that a guy whom has worked as hard as he has for this organizational and carried himself like a true gent gets this kind of hate.

I will agree that I'm getting a bit over protective of a guy that I feel deserves much better. Tv personalities like Cowherd know his tirades work on the hater crowd and gets clicks that is why he does it, but yet so many fall for it.

This is very telling. This is the underlying emotional investment with the Dak Fan Clib.

They feel an underlying need to be over protective and loyal to the Man.

Please if you find yourself sub-consciously over reacting to any and all criticisim of Dak. . . Take a deep breath . . . Take a step back . . . Then realize the Truth you've been denying & rejecting, all because of an irrational need to coddle a grown man

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I would hope every quarterback is better four years later than they were as a rookie.
especially if you think he is worth $50 mil/yr.

Oh, you didn't know?

Dak just emailed me and said his price has gone up becuz he has decided to throw a signing party at his house after the signing. We are all invited. But only if we have been tested and have our temperature tattooed on our foreheads. That guy Prescott, what a leader. Your invite is in your email.

Over to you.

:yourock:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not that many.....fractional compared to QB's with good rookie seasons that go on to impressive careers.

Let's take a look at Dak's fellow successful rookies, shall we? First let's set the criteria for successful rookie season.

Their team won 10+ games that season.....because that's what "successful" is, isn't it?

They scored well in their passer rating ,meaning that they were indeed a contributor to their team's success.

They were healthy all season long,meaning that they started every game......you cannot credit another QB for the team's success.

I think we should also look at 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives to further determine their impact on that winning season.

So this is the entire list of QB's since 1990, 30 years, that started all their rookie games, 300+ pass attempts, 10+ wins, ranked by passer rating.

1 Dak Prescott
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Andrew Luck

One thing we might notice is that the list is small. Successful rookie quarterbacks are an extreme rarity. Typically, good ones will have a moderately impressive passer rating but with very little winning. These are the QB's in their rookie season whose team had two digit wins, while they ranked high in QB stats that season without detrimenting their team with an injury and missed playing time.

A 2nd thing you will notice is that Dak isn't just "in" the group, he actually leads it.

A 3rd thing is that we can all recognize these names and quickly conclude that none of them were "unsuccessful" later in their careers. Also, Only Dak And Wilson were not 1st round picks.

A 4th thing, most importantly, 3 of these 5 went on to play in the Super Bowl, a good sign for Dak since these are the QB's most similar to Dak's circumstances.

We can quickly conclude that QB's with the same level of Dak's productivity under the same parameters go on to long and very successful careers.

If you want to just consider a rookie season as cause to pay him $50 mil/yr..go ahead.

But that stuff means very little going forward concerning Dak.

Since then Dak has made the Pro Bowl once other than this rookie year you are fixated over.

He has only beaten the Commanders and Giants consistently in his whole career.

His winning record against teams over .500?

Plebian.

His playoff record/

one win.

Come on man. We know you graduated from HS and maybe college with more smarts than this post.

Help us out here.

:banghead:

plasticman

Reaction score
If you want to just consider a rookie season as cause to pay him $50 mil/yr..go ahead.

But that stuff means very little going forward concerning Dak.

Since then Dak has made the Pro Bowl once other than this rookie year you are fixated over.

He has only beaten the Commanders and Giants consistently in his whole career.

His winning record against teams over .500?

Plebian.

His playoff record/

one win.

Come on man. We know you graduated from HS and maybe college with more smarts than this post.

Help us out here.

:banghead:
I was responding to a specific statement claiming that successful qb rookie seasons do not translate automatically to a successful career. I created a list of successful rookie rookie seasons over the past 30 years that includes their stats, durability and team success. I went on to show that every qb under that criteria went on to long careers. Therefore, I was not focused on their rookie season. In fact, several times I have used Dak's four combined seasons to point out it has been one of the best first four seasons for a qb in history

Your argument falls under the category of unrealistic expectations.

Contracts aren't a reward for previous seasons, they are based on a player's projected or perceived performance during those contract years. They are simply using their previous performance as a guideline.

Dak had one of the best first four seasons for a qb in history, not an opinion, a documented fact supported by a comparison in stats and results.

Dak hasn't won a Super Bowl yet. However, he has only been in the league 4 seasons. There are QB drafted #1 overall that didn't win a Super Bowl until past their 10th season.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I was responding to a specific statement claiming that successful qb rookie seasons do not translate automatically to a successful career. created a list of successful rookie rookie seasons overwover the past 30 years that includes their stats, durability and team success. I went on to show that every qb under that criteria went on to long careers. Therefore, I was not focused on their rookie season. In fact, several times I have used Dak's four combined seasons to point out it has been one of the best first four seasons for a qb in history

Your argument falls under the category of unrealistic expectations.

Contracts aren't a reward for previous seasons, they are based on a player's projected or perceived performance during those contract years. They are simply using their previous performance as a guideline.

Dak had one of the best first four seasons for a qb in history, not an opinion, a documented fact supported by a comparison in stats and results.

Dak hasn't won a Super Bowl yet. However, he has only been in the league 4 seasons. There are QB drafted #1 overall that didn't win a Super Bowl until past their 10th season.
Otay, Buckwheat.

I see.

But for me and some others, its balanced out with other agendas.

No prob.

Its like this disease we are all trying to avoid. First its masks are not needed..

then you can if you want to..

then its you must wear them to protect others..

then we will be arrested if you don't use them.

Then they say the ones people make do not fit the guidelines and then the paper ones must not be reused.

So pardon me if you get confused now.

Its the same thing with Dak and this contract.

As bystanders we are either Haters or Lovers of Dak and we get branded either way.

I pretty much resent that from other fans. I resent Dak for making us pick sides.

I resent Jerrah for not dealing in good faith from the beginning. When he announced Dak was the greatest thing since toast..

he should have cut a deal and gotten this over. He wrote a check his body does not want to cash now.

Its just sad and drains enjoyment from my fav sport to watch this.

:huh:

plasticman

Reaction score
Otay, Buckwheat.

I see.

But for me and some others, its balanced out with other agendas.

No prob.

Its like this disease we are all trying to avoid. First its masks are not needed..

then you can if you want to..

then its you must wear them to protect others..

then we will be arrested if you don't use them.

Then they say the ones people make do not fit the guidelines and then the paper ones must not be reused.

So pardon me if you get confused now.

Its the same thing with Dak and this contract.

As bystanders we are either Haters or Lovers of Dak and we get branded either way.

I pretty much resent that from other fans. I resent Dak for making us pick sides.

I resent Jerrah for not dealing in good faith from the beginning. When he announced Dak was the greatest thing since toast..

he should have cut a deal and gotten this over. He wrote a check his body does not want to cash now.

Its just sad and drains enjoyment from my fav sport to watch this.

:huh:

It's the extreme viewpoints that I don't understand. Sure, when I'm in favor of a particular option, I'm going to concentrate on the positives of that option. But that doesn't mean I'm 100% in favor of everything Dak does, there is nothing wrong with criticism so long as it is in proper perspective. He's not the reincarnation of the Christ and he's not the spawn of Satan. There are things he can do better but I really beleive that he would be the first to agree.

If I was to rate Dak on a scale of 1 to 10, then I might put him at an 8 or 8.5. He's not a pinpoint, tight spiral, clothesline passer. However, the best, strongest passers aren't necessarily the better quarterback. Dak isn't the prototype, but he does bring other positive attributes that even the best don't have.

For example, Dak is built solid, he is durable and his ability to play every game means that there are occasions where that paid off in victories. If the average NFL starter misses two games a season then you can consider that as two extra games Dak plays instead of a backup the lowers the probability of a win.

Dak adds the extra option of a reliable runner who can fight to get in the endzone.

On the other hand, he has changed his more cautious style, trying to make plays by sometimes forcing the ball. He forgot one of the Parcells QB commandments. Throwing the ball away can be a good thing compared to the alternatives. He also fails to observe open receivers sometimes. These things are correctable and Dak has shown himself to be intelligent and studious.with the ability to improve overall as seasons go by.

I have some skepticism about Dalton under pressure at this point in his career. I think the 2020 version of Andy Dalton is slower, less accurate and more prone to injury. He has less mobility now and execution will suffer becasue he has yet to even practice with the Cowboys. At this point, I would give Dalton a 5 which is great for a backup. However, any idea that he is actually a better choice to start lack the supporting evidence or logic.....my opinion.

As far as the question of money, it really hasn't been about his skill level as opposed to that of others in the NFL. It's totally about leverage and available options. Sometimes it favors the player and sometimes it favors the franchise. Nobody is naive enough to beleive that Jerry wouldn't look at every option he can get and capitalize on opportunities. It's interesting that owners get upset when players try to do the same.

Guys like La'el Collins and Jaylon Smith played for much less than they should have as a result of their own issues and Jerry took advantage of those issues, got a huge discount. Other draftees ended up far exceeding the expectations of their draft status. Dak was grossly underpaid compared to those with similar result. None of the QB's with similar results were drafted later than Dak, the vast majority are high 1st round picks. Jerry never went out and tripled Dak's contract after his rookie season because he played at the level of a high 1st round pick. A record setting rookie and two time Pro Bowler was receivng the salary of a 4th round pick for four seasons.

So you can't blame him for rejecting any type of discount in his contract, he probably feels like the last contract provided millions in a discount. He didn't have the leverage for negotiating his rookie contract so Jerry kept millions as a result. Now it's Dak's turn and he's just playing Jerry's game

Again, it's not about fairness, it has always been about getting what you can, both sides are doing that in every contract negotiations

johneric8

Reaction score
I understand but to come in and complain about guys who are complaing...well c'mon you know what i mean. Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether you agree with them or not

I'm not in this to battle anyone but there comes and time and place where it seems almost necessary to come to the defense of a situation that is getting out of hand. There is no doubt that too many people are obsessing over this contract situation much like everyone did with Zeke, it's the same old song and dance. With Zeke, I honestly almost could understand people getting a bit jaded over the situation and it was easy to make a strong argument for letting him just sit out, but Dak played his butt off with a smile on his face under his rookie deal and probably should of been extended earlier.

All Dak is doing is playing the game, his agent is playing the waiting game because time is on everyone's side at this point. This is what everyone does quite frankly, so what gives? I know some justify it by saying that Dak isn't a great Qb, first it was he couldn't pass over 100 yards, and now after he puts up record numbers it's now that he can't win the big games. Do you guys not realize that the great Russell Wilson hasn't done ***** since the legion of boom was dismantled and he lost marshawn? Dak actually beat Seatle with Russell at QB in playoffs, but somehow Russell is a God and Dak has to have talent around him to win... Don't you see how ridiculous this all is? As Great as Russell is, he needs coaching and a team around him to win! All of this applies to Dak as well! Of course Dak struggled when he had a aging Dez as a #1 and a bunch of #'3 receivers..

johneric8

Reaction score
Posting , discussing daks contract is a waste of energy... but discussing play calling, who we drafted, who the coach is.... all of that is time well spent?

No, it's putting unfair and unjust stipulations on Dak. The guy has worked his tail off for this organization and he is working every angle he can to get the most for him and his family. He deserves this, and those of you whom sit around and can't see the smoke through the trees aren't doing anyone any favors.. It's all formalities! Dak killed it for us under a contract where he was very underpaid and kept his mouth shut unlike Zeke.. He is a good man and great QB.. Discuss all you want, but things need to be put in proper perspective.

johneric8

Reaction score
This is very telling. This is the underlying emotional investment with the Dak Fan Clib.

They feel an underlying need to be over protective and loyal to the Man.

Please if you find yourself sub-consciously over reacting to any and all criticisim of Dak. . . Take a deep breath . . . Take a step back . . . Then realize the Truth you've been denying & rejecting, all because of an irrational need to coddle a grown man
Nope, you guys are blowing it all out of proportion and that is facts, but enjoy your drama.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No, it's putting unfair and unjust stipulations on Dak. The guy has worked his tail off for this organization and he is working every angle he can to get the most for him and his family. He deserves this, and those of you whom sit around and can't see the smoke through the trees aren't doing anyone any favors.. It's all formalities! Dak killed it for us under a contract where he was very underpaid and kept his mouth shut unlike Zeke.. He is a good man and great QB.. Discuss all you want, but things need to be put in proper perspective.
He deserves 175 plus million? You all make it like if Jerry offered him 34 million per season that somehow that is unfair to Dak... you mean the most money ever given out to a player in the history of the league is somehow unfair? give me a break. What exactly does he deserve? He is a good man? so what. You think Brees isnt a good man? Mahomes? Rivers? Carr? How hard you have worked and if you are a good guy or not doesnt mean jack squat. Wins, playoffs and the like are all that matters.

You been watching the last dance? This is pro sports. You dont get extra cash for being nice and working hard in the gym.

Proof

Reaction score
2016 - 13-3
2017 - 9-7
2018 - 10-6
2019 - 8-8

Looks more like he has regressed from his rookie season in my opinion. Oh wait, I keep forgetting we're only putting him on a pedestal for his personal stats, not for anything he has done for the team.
In 2016 they lost their only playoff game, in 2018 they beat the Seahawks in the playoffs. So pretty much anyway you slice it you’re wrong and exposed as a buffoon. Thank you for doing the legwork

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Moderator Edit: Required quoted source missing/video inserted/view video at 19:51 mark

His words quoted: "His team record might indicate otherwise. THE TEAM. But Dak Prescott is a better player now than he was as a rookie."

I would show the video, but it's 20 minutes long and some people probably don't wanna watch the whole thing. But it was from May 12, 2020..... so only 10 days ago. Seems this dude changes his tune on Dak a lot, but at the very least he seems to value Dak's potential. I guess this answers the question some people here are thinking that Dak is declining or maxing out. A lot better things are yet to come for Dak.

As much as I despise Shannon Sharpe, he is 100% correct.

starcity214

Reaction score
2016: Wins are a team stat, Dak sucks because he doesn't have big volume stats.
2020: Losses are Dak's fault and big volume stats actually don't matter.

The problem with Dak last year was that most of his big numbers came in a handful of games and against bad teams.

Against the good teams, he had awful stats specifically during the first halves of games.

It wasn't like Dak went toe to toe with other QBs, his stats (passing yards) came mostly against teams playing it safe and giving him those empty calorie yards late in games.

His TDs? Well he got most of those against the Giants and Commanders in blowout games where it really didn't matter.