Should Cowboys bring in free agent Nick Martin and reunite him with brother Zack Martin?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Houston Texans recently released dependable and pretty good OC/OG Nick Martin to create some salary cap room. With the questionable play Connor Williams continues to have at Left Guard, should the Cowboys bring in Nick Martin and have a looksie?

Nick Martin has experience playing Center and Guard. Tyler Biadasz shared a starting role at Center with Joe Looney. Even though Biadasz did okay, he still didn't perform as well as Looney (who is also a free agent who hopes to stick around in Dallas), and Biadasz was among one of the lowest graded starters in the NFL last season. I say resign Joe Looney on a team friendly 2 year contract and start him at Center, once again, giving Biadasz one more season to split starting snaps with him while gaining more experience for a permanent starters role for the year 2022+. That would solidify the Center position for the present and future, both starting and backup roles.

Connor Williams was fairly good half the time while struggling half of the other time once again at Left Guard. Here is where I believe the Cowboys should bring in Nick Martin, have a workout looksie and see if they can convince Nick to stay for a team friendly deal. Though Nick has experience playing Center, he can also play Left Guard which is where I would start him at over Connor Williams. Nick Martin will be turning 28 in April, and he's right in the middle of his prime playing years. Connor Williams is still fairly young (23 and turning 24 in May) to where he could backup Nick Martin at Left Guard AND Tyron Smith at Left Tackle. Left Tackle was Connor Williams natural position in college at Texas and is where he could possibly play better and be more consistent at.

If the money is agreed upon by everyone, the Cowboys could have one of the best Olines once again (both starting and backups). It could look something like this:

L. T. -- L. G. -- C. -- R. G. -- R. T.

(
STARTING OLINE)
T. Smith - N. Martin - J. Looney - Z. Martin - L. Collins

(BACKUP OLINE)
B. Knight/C. Williams - C. Williams - T. Biadasz - C. McGovern - C. Erving/C. Williams

What say you?

:popcorn:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but doesn't Nick Martin suck? Not being funny I just thought he had that reputation of not living up to his potential.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Houston Texans recently released dependable and pretty good OC/OG Nick Martin to create some salary cap room. With the questionable play Connor Williams continues to have at Left Guard, should the Cowboys bring in Nick Martin and have a looksie?

Nick Martin has experience playing Center and Guard. Tyler Biadasz shared a starting role at Center with Joe Looney. Even though Biadasz did okay, he still didn't perform as well as Looney (who is also a free agent who hopes to stick around in Dallas), and Biadasz was among one of the lowest graded starters in the NFL last season. I say resign Joe Looney on a team friendly 2 year contract and start him at Center, once again, giving Biadasz one more season to split starting snaps with him while gaining more experience for a permanent starters role for the year 2022+. That would solidify the Center position for the present and future, both starting and backup roles.

Connor Williams was fairly good half the time while struggling half of the other time once again at Left Guard. Here is where I believe the Cowboys should bring in Nick Martin, have a workout looksie and see if they can convince Nick to stay for a team friendly deal. Though Nick has experience playing Center, he can also play Left Guard which is where I would start him at over Connor Williams. Nick Martin will be turning 28 in April, and he's right in the middle of his prime playing years. Connor Williams is still fairly young (23 and turning 24 in May) to where he could backup Nick Martin at Left Guard AND Tyron Smith at Left Tackle. Left Tackle was Connor Williams natural position in college at Texas and is where he could possibly play better and be more consistent at.

If the money is agreed upon by everyone, the Cowboys could have one of the best Olines once again (both starting and backups). It could look something like this:

(
STARTING OLINE)

(BACKUP OLINE)
B. Knight/C. Williams - C. Williams - T. Biadasz - C. McGovern - C. Erving/C. Williams

What say you?

Looney won't start over Biadasz,

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but doesn't Nick Martin suck? Not being funny I just thought he had that reputation of not living up to his potential.

I think a lot of his reputation as a poor player comes from his snapping problems at Center.

I haven't heard a ton about him beyond that except that he's supposedly not a great run blocker. He compares very unfavorably to his brother as well, one of those situations where his name creates higher expectations for him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
According to PFF, Nick Martin was very durable, had only 4 penalties called against him and allowed only 1 sack all of last season (playing at Center). In 2020, Nick Martin played in 980 offensive snaps where he had four penalties and allowed one sack. Martin's grade by Pro Football Focus for 2020 was 56.1 (out of 100), and of his 980 snaps played, 291 of those snaps were run block snaps.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/nick-martin/10684

Last edited:

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
According to PFF, Nick Martin was very durable, had only 4 penalties called against him and allowed only 1 sack all of last season (playing at Center). In 2020, Nick Martin played in 980 offensive snaps were he had four penalties and allowed one sack. Martin's grade by Pro Football Focus for 2020 was 56.1 (out of 100), and of his 980 snaps played, 291 of those snaps were run block snaps.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/nick-martin/10684

Probably the most fair assessment I've seen.

Most of what I know about him I've heard from Texans fans, and we all know how reliable a fan bases take on players can be based on our own experiences.

Never bothered to see any of his actual play since watching Houston football is right up there with getting a root canal for me.

Sydla

Reaction score

He has not been good in Houston. I think he had a good season early in his career but has not been good since.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

(
STARTING OLINE)

(BACKUP OLINE)

What say you?

Here's what you forgot to mention when making your big plan. In 2016 Nick Martin missed the season after having an ankle injury and needing surgery. Then in 2017 he reinjured the same ankle and went on IR again. Then in 2019 the teaxans extended his contract and in week 15 he again reinjured that same ankle. So three out four years he had problems with that ankle.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here's what you forgot to mention when making your big plan. In 2016 Nick Martin missed the season after having an ankle injury and needing surgery. Then in 2017 he reinjured the same ankle and went on IR again. Then in 2019 the teaxans extended his contract and in week 15 he again reinjured that same ankle. So three out four years he had problems with that ankle.
Yikes! Thanks for sharing that info.

Turk

Reaction score
I work on the theory of whatever the OP wants is wrong as he is a secret Philthy Fan.

Hardline

Reaction score
Maybe not in your dreams but in real life he will. If the Cowboys resign him it won't be to sit the bench.
Looney won't win back the starting job regardless if the Cowboys resign him, Book it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

(
STARTING OLINE)

(BACKUP OLINE)

What say you?

What is the price tag for Martin the Sequel?

I wonder how the QB carousel affected Biadasz?