Should Cowboys trade for Jamal Adams?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You can acquire talent through draft picks. You can also acquire talent through large contracts. Or you can acquire talent the Cowboys way by giving up draft picks and large contracts at the same time. I can promise you this team is going no where when this business model continues to be thought of as reasonable. Good teams would laugh at this and move on to real business.

ultron

Reaction score
Really? Let's see...

Jamal Adams (Strong Safety): 6'0", 214 lbs, 4.56 40 time.

Xavier McKinney (Strong Safety): 6'1", 200 lbs, 4.63 (cramping on only attempt) 40 time...waiting for Pro Day.

What were you saying? They look very similar to me.

:popcorn:

One is an NFL all-pro, the other has potential- I would go with the guarantee (Adams) in this scenario, but he’ll be the highest paid safety (and possibly highest paid DB) this time next year so we should probably pass.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One is an NFL all-pro, the other has potential- I would go with the guarantee (Adams) in this scenario, but he’ll be the highest paid safety (and possibly highest paid DB) this time next year so we should probably pass.

I'm glad to see somebody actually factor in the costs.
:thumbup:

So many fans are just playing Madden and saying 'go get him' at every name that they see, failing to look at the big picture of all costs involved.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm glad to see somebody actually factor in the costs.
:thumbup:

So many fans are just playing Madden and saying 'go get him' at every name that they see, failing to look at the big picture of all costs involved.
I think if you trade for Adams, you need to take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Why? Because you need to free yourself from paying Gallup in a couple years. If Gallup plays at the same level he did in 2019, you are looking at 16-17 million AAV

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if you trade for Adams, you need to take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Why? Because you need to free yourself from paying Gallup in a couple years. If Gallup plays at the same level he did in 2019, you are looking at 16-17 million AAV

I'll let Gallup and Cooper 'compete' for that contract. Cooper signed a five year deal, but the team can get out in two.

I don't want a receiver that early because the team needs cornerback help badly.

You give up that 1st for Adams and a receiver in the second, you're still screwed at corner.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll let Gallup and Cooper 'compete' for that contract. Cooper signed a five year deal, but the team can get out in two.

I don't want a receiver that early because the team needs cornerback help badly.

You give up that 1st for Adams and a receiver in the second, you're still screwed at corner.
Im not that concerned with CB. We need a guy that can be a #1. We have depth. We actually have less depth at WR than CB. Your 3rd WR plays as many snaps as your 3rd CB. Unfortunately this may not be the draft for a #1 CB, especially if Henderson goes before our pick. An Im not even that high on him. The organization like Awuzie better than the fans do, and I wouldnt be surprised if they extend him before the season starts

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not that concerned with CB. We need a guy that can be a #1. We have depth.

So you're not concerned but concede we don't have a "#1"?

We actually have less depth at WR than CB. Your 3rd WR plays as many snaps as your 3rd CB. Unfortunately this may not be the draft for a #1 CB, especially if Henderson goes before our pick. An Im not even that high on him.

Listen to yourself here. You're talking about depth over a "#1", you admitted that yourself. We certainly have our #1 receiver. We even have our #2 receiver. We can't say the same about cornerback.

The organization like Awuzie better than the fans do, and I wouldnt be surprised if they extend him before the season starts

Is that why they benched him? I would be surprised if they extend him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So you're not concerned but concede we don't have a "#1"?

Listen to yourself here. You're talking about depth over a "#1", you admitted that yourself. We certainly have our #1 receiver. We even have our #2 receiver. We can't say the same about cornerback.

Is that why they benched him? I would be surprised if they extend him.
1) Im not concerned about CB going into the season. Given the nature of position, a draft pick even in the first might not even crack the top 3. I am concerned about a #1 CB, but read closer. I said that player might not be available to us in this draft.

2) A #3 WR isnt depth. Thats a basically a starter. Your #3 WR plays as many snaps as your #3 CB

3)He got bench for a series by the outgoing staff. They arent here anymore.

Big_D

Reaction score
HELL NO! Stop trading first round picks. Those 5 year rookie deals are vital. Specially right now with some huge contracts!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1) Im not concerned about CB going into the season. Given the nature of position, a draft pick even in the first might not even crack the top 3. I am concerned about a #1 CB, but read closer. I said that player might not be available to us in this draft.

Certainly not when you've traded away pick #17 and drafted another receiver in round 2, right? A self-fulfilling prophecy for sure.

2) A #3 WR isnt depth. Thats a basically a starter. Your #3 WR plays as many snaps as your #3 CB

What's a #1 cornerback? Is that "basically a starter" or is that one of the top 5 positions in football? I'll go with everyone else and say the latter.

3)He got bench for a series by the outgoing staff. They arent here anymore.

But it's still on the players resume. Along with being the guy opposing teams picked on when they threw away from Byron Jones. Neither worthy of a contract extension.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not in the business of trading draft capital for a strong safety. I'm not even sure if I want to invest a 1st rounder into one but at least if I do that I have him for 4 or 5 years before I have to give him a big contract.

IN hindsight I'm glad they didn't trade for him. Would've been a mistake.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They could potentially offer next years #1 after the draft.

Not saying to do it, just saying what could happen.

I personally think they want more for him than he is worth, but I'd love to have him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely not. I wouldn't give them anything for him - he's going to be an expensive player at one of the least important positions in football. Hard pass.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
Trade Zeke for some draft picks then trade that for Adams

Or Zeke for Adams in a 3 team trade