Should Cowboys trade for Jamal Adams?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys must maximize the effect of their draft picks. They need help in too many positions to do otherwise. Giving up any more than our #1 pick for Adams would do damage to that goal. Yes, Adams is a great player but that's only worth so much to a team with multiple needs. Overspending to get help from one player would not serve this team well. Let's face it -- at least four more excellent players will be required to turn this team around, imho.

We need some explosive playmakers..

Right now our secondary isn’t looking so good and the offense still looks slow..

We need to increase the offensive speed, get some talent in the secondary, and the more pass rushers the merrier.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adams is a damn good ball hawk / thumper. He brings the wood and plays the ball. After another member here mentioned his name before last season, I did quite a bit of research. This guy was great in collage and is great in the NFL. For anyone that believes having two excellent safeties makes the D far better, this guy fits the bill!
Ball hawk was the wrong term. He's a playmaker and a thumper.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have mixed feeling. Very good player but it will also be a big cap hit considering he will be a FA after 2020 and will be looking at top safety money. Drafting a top safety you get the rookie contract which is less costly but of course you have some risk on how that player will do in the NFL.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If this guy is one of the best in the league and a leader on the field, yes. Get dat man and give him his money.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
well adams desired contract may now be more affordable next year with The Beard gone

Hadenough

Reaction score
I like Adams but its going to cost Dallas probably a 1st and 3rd in the draft plus he will want a big contract. Because of the contract Dallas would probably be better off drafting a quality safety and having him on a rookie contract. You just cant hand out big contracts to half the starters on this team. This gives the team some the ability to keep some talent.

starfan1

Reaction score
We need some explosive playmakers..

Right now our secondary isn’t looking so good and the offense still looks slow..

We need to increase the offensive speed, get some talent in the secondary, and the more pass rushers the merrier.
True and that should be done in draft IMO

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Should we offer 17, 81, and a 2nd in 2021?
Absolutely not.

I would be completely shocked.

If this happens and we take another high priced player..we will completely crash.

If any of these guys get injured and lost..

and their cap hits are just eating available space..

we will only have ourselves to blame.

We have to ensure that our players will step up at lesser contracts.

That is their incentive. They want a chance at big contracts, too.

So it's cool to have top players at every position, you can't pay them all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Exactly.

Jamal your getting a 1 year rental and then either have to let him go or make him the highest paid player at his position.

Would rather keep these top 50 picks and get immediate help now while still being cost effective

It is 2 years. 1st rounders come with a 5th year option.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.

Jamal your getting a 1 year rental and then either have to let him go or make him the highest paid player at his position.

Would rather keep these top 50 picks and get immediate help now while still being cost effective

My thinking is that at a minimum, you would have to have a long term contract agreed to before you completed any trade with the Jets.

Otherwise, it's the Cooper deal all over again, where the player and agent have all negotiating leverage based on the draft compensation you gave up to acquire them.

The Cooper deal was tough enough when the Cowboys gave up that one 1st round pick. Watch and see how back the Texans and Rams get taken to the woodshed in their upcoming deals for Laremy Tunsil and Jalen Ramsey. Those teams gave up two 1st rounders for them, and the players and agents know it. An average tackle like Tunsil is already demanding $20 million a year from the Texans. And thanks to their dumb moves, he'll get it!

The Cowboys can never venture down that road again.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
With the moves they have made, adding Adams (in a reasonable trade) would make us a legit Super Bowl contender.

We'd still need to find a CB and a slot WR later in the draft and/or the next wave of free agency but Adams would have a huge impact for the defense.

vnick

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys offer #17 for Adams. A year later reduces his value and the longer he isn't signed by the Jets reduces what they can get.

If the trade is happening before the draft, I offer a second this year and a third in 2021. After the draft, the price may even be lower.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the moves they have made, adding Adams (in a reasonable trade) would make us a legit Super Bowl contender.

We'd still need to find a CB and a slot WR later in the draft and/or the next wave of free agency but Adams would have a huge impact for the defense.

I'd need to see some solid numbers.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No, Adams could not deliver a SB championship to the Jets so, why assume he will be the difference maker here?
I would be upset if the Cowboys gave up high draft picks for a safety soon to be a FA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should we offer 17, 81, and a 2nd in 2021?

No.

Any year they could sign the top free agent Safety. without giving up any picks.

Let's say the free agent gets the same contract that Adams with end up getting.

For that salary (cap hit) you get the choice of:
Adams minus 17, 81 and 2021 2nd.
OR
Top Free Agent Safety plus keep 17, 81 and 2021 2nd.

Historically teams rarely go to the Super Bowl in the 1st season with a new Head Coach but many team have made it in the 2nd year with a new Head Coach. Whatever they do in regards to big roster decisions should be focused on peaking in 2021. Giving up anything extra to acquire a player because of a 2020 need is misguided.