Should Dallas draft Kyle Trask in 3rd-4th round?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would still do it. I believe in competition and churning the position. I don't think the Cowboys will.

You're assuming drafting Paxton Lynch is automatically a worse thing. Most quarterbacks fail to win championships. At least we wouldn't be investing 10 years in Paxton Lynch. We would just move on.

So you think the Cowboys should invest in a QB in the first round after signing Dak to a big contract? As for "churning the position", the Cowboys have had two good QBs since Aikman, and they fell backwards into both of them. Ask the Bears about "churning the position" - they've been doing it for decades - because apparently it's easy to just go pluck a QB out of the first round every few years. Sounds like a great strategy, especially with the Jones Boys making the calls.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Indeed, there should always be room on this roster for a quality developmental QB, the difference is that we dont develop a young quality talent, we sign aging vets like Dalton.
A sculptor likes to start off with a good quality clay, there is no sense in wasting your time if your base origin of project begins with inferior clay.
So far we are trying to sculpt with common field dirt, maybe the Nooch changes that but I doubt it.
The Hoodie proved a very simple theory, roster spots can be used to create and increase extra futures value.

Dalton should get us a 4th round comp pick, which is about the level of pick we might spend on a QB to develop. Dak and McGee were 4, Mike White 5.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With so much press and speculation about the top 5 rated QBs, a side note will be the "second tier" prospects - Trask, Kellen Mond, David Mills, Ian Book, Sam Ehlinger - when they will be selected and by whom.
yes and every year they go on about the top of round qb's, and for most part they all fail to live up to the hype, and some are just busts.
Trubisky,Mariota, wentz, goff, and many more all had the "experts" glorifying them, and then in nfl they all fail.
The guys the experts say lack arm strength etc, are the guys that usually do good if given a chance.
Many dont get a chance .
I would rather go with one of the second tier prospects that the experts dont approve of because the experts are obviously quite stupid.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dalton should get us a 4th round comp pick, which is about the level of pick we might spend on a QB to develop. Dak and McGee were 4, Mike White 5.
as a general rule that is too low to pick one, dak should have gone higher, the other 2 are what you get in 4th round or lower.
There are good ones with potential, but they are hard to spot.

Dak is a good example of the experts being stupid, and team scouts, gms, not being too bright, as dak should have gone higher than he did.

Trask is under rated by the experts, so in a way that is a good thing lol.
Keep in mind, he threw all the td passes to pitts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
as a general rule that is too low to pick one, dak should have gone higher, the other 2 are what you get in 4th round or lower.
There are good ones with potential, but they are hard to spot.

Dak is a good example of the experts being stupid, and team scouts, gms, not being too bright, as dak should have gone higher than he did.

Tom Brady is another example. And Tony Romo. And Matt Moore.

But maybe they're not stupid. Maybe it's just a hard problem that the best football professionals in the world still aren't that good at. The whole league passed up on each of them until they didn't. Again and again and again they passed up on them.

It would be interesting to run the numbers for QB quality, by whatever metric you like, by draft round, comparing it to the Draft Value Chart. I haven't done so, but I'm guessing there is a lot more value in the later rounds than the chart would indicate. Even if you throw out Brady.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Me too. I'd take him over Lance. Lance is a Tim Tebow reboot.
wrong lance is a Johnny football type reboot maybe better who knows..we can all be wrong but how wilson and lance are leap frogging Fields is why the NFL needs to have the draft much sooner, overthinkers tend to change their mind and then confuse themselves trying to not make mistake, they almost always reach,,ie daniel jones..

Tim's reboot 100% no doubt lock is SamE

im a UT fan and sam is destines to be the next Hill, BTW NO overrated this guy as well..hes not a QB! just because a Running back can throw doesnt make it a great QB prospect..

Flamma

Reaction score
wrong lance is a Johnny football type reboot maybe better who knows..we can all be wrong but how wilson and lance are leap frogging Fields is why the NFL needs to have the draft much sooner, overthinkers tend to change their mind and then confuse themselves trying to not make mistake, they almost always reach,,ie daniel jones..

Tim's reboot 100% no doubt lock is SamE

im a UT fan and sam is destines to be the next Hill, BTW NO overrated this guy as well..hes not a QB! just because a Running back can throw doesnt make it a great QB prospect..

I actually almost used him as the example.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I actually almost used him as the example.
well thanks for allowing me to have my thunder :)) funny thing is and fans wont be honest is we all that about Mahomes another big12 qb especially the air raid TT qb with hype and wont make it in the nfl..we were wrong..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think Ehlinger will be in the league that long. He would be good for practice squad maybe (scout offense QB).

His game is very much like Dak's. He fits the Offense, which means you don't have to change it if you need to bring him in. Now, can he get the mental part, remains to be seen, but it's not smart to try and bring in a backup that you need to change all you do Offensively, in order to win games. Trask is a pocket passer, you won't be running any RPO offense with him. That's not what we do in Dallas. Doesn't make any sense to bring in this guy as your backup or your future guy if he doesn't fit the Offense. That hurts everything more then it helps. Plus, he's going to cost you more. SE, you will be able to get later in the draft so you pay less money, you don't have to give him a guaranteed contract etc. Trask, he will go higher. I don't see any real upside to drafting Trask if you are Dallas.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are going to pick a quarterback, put on the man pants and trade up in the first round to get the one you want.
That makes no sense after the Dak contract. A team can't put all it's resources into one position and expect to field a strong team.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
It’s a deep QB class. If someone is there round 4 (maybe 3 if it’s a good enough prospect) then backup QB is definitely a need. Imo Dalton was a valuable signing last year, we didn’t lose a ton of games bc of him. I think replacing him is somewhat important and what we don’t want is someone completely incompetent playing like Nooch