Should our next OC be an external hire or an internal promotion?

Should our next OC be an external hire or an internal promotion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Give Kellen Moore a chance. He will be to the offense what Vander Esch was to the defense. I promise you. ;)

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Lone wolf @Floatyworm :D

tenor.gif

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie.. If it were Romo, I would be pretty happy about that..

I know it's a pie in the sky thing but a person can dream... Right?

I don’t think it’s a pie in the sky thing at all. It’s unlikely at this time but Romo did hint that coaching is likely in his future, just not right now. All that it would take to change is for a real opportunity/offer to be presented along with enough persuasion and money to make Romo move up the timetable currently floating around in his head. Still unlikely, but would anyone be truely and completely shocked to see Romo sitting at a table next to Jerry and Stephen talking about how much he missed the guys in the lockeroom and competing week to week. I would be surprised but not shocked at all. I expect him to be a coach in the NFL at some time and a very good one at that. So really all that is needed is for someone to persuade him that now is the time.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a pie in the sky thing at all. It’s unlikely at this time but Romo did hint that coaching is likely in his future, just not right now. All that it would take to change is for a real opportunity/offer to be presented along with enough persuasive and money to make Romo move up the timetable currently floating around in his head. Still unlikely, but would anyone be truely and completely shocked to see Romo sitting at a table next to Jerry and Stephen talking about how much he missed the guys in the lockeroom and competing week to week. I would be surprised but not shocked at all. I expect him to be a coach in the NFL at some time and a very good one at that. So really all that is needed is for someone to persuade him that now is the time.
Let's dream together with hopes that it comes true. :flagwave:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Let's dream together with hopes that it comes true. :flagwave:

It does bring up an interesting topic of discussion. What odds would you put on Romo becoming the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys at some point in the future. I think it’s got to be better than 50/50. I just see him wanting to take that path. With the stats he put up mixed with how good he is in the booth, if he were to win a Super Bowl as a head coach, he could very well get into the HOF someday. I think he is going to want to continue chasing a title as a coach. It’s the missing piece to his career and he would have 10 offers for TV the day he retires from coaching so that gig will always be there for him.

visionary

Reaction score
To go along with the poll, do you have anyone in mind that you would really like to see take the reigns as our next OC? Let us know what you're thinking.

Also... If the new OC is an external hire, is Kellen Moore gone?

Leave it to the OC
I think the QB coach should be one that understands the OCs system

visionary

Reaction score
It does bring up an interesting topic of discussion. What odds would you put on Romo becoming the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys at some point in the future. I think it’s got to be better than 50/50. I just see him wanting to take that path. With the stats he put up mixed with how good he is in the booth, if he were to win a Super Bowl as a head coach, he could very well get into the HOF someday. I think he is going to want to continue chasing a title as a coach. It’s the missing piece to his career and he would have 10 offers for TV the day he retires from coaching so that gig will always be there for him.

I hope zero
I dont think Romo has the drive to be a good HC
Romo is an "aw shucks" guy and successful HCs are hard nosed that's not Romo

Romo is not getting into the HOF BTW

MojaveJT

Reaction score
External for sure, shouldn’t even be a question.

We need some new blood and different minds to bring to the offensive side of the table. It’s just bland, stale, and old right now.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
After Romo's comment on time with his young kids, I doubt he's viable for a couple yrs. Pete Carmichael of the Saints is very intriguing, and Campbell has got a pretty decent upside. But where do both stand contractually? I don't see a big name college HC coming here as an OC, and to be honest I'm not to familiar with that many college OCs. Considering today's NFL game it does make sense though

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I hope zero
I dont think Romo has the drive to be a good HC
Romo is an "aw shucks" guy and successful HCs are hard nosed that's not Romo

Romo is not getting into the HOF BTW

You might be right on Romo’s demeanor but I know he has the competitiveness and football knowledge to be a good coach. As it stands now, I agree he isn’t a HOFer. However, if he does TV for another 3-4 years and wins more awards for it and then goes on to be a Super Bowl winning head coach, I think it’s possible for him. That would be an impressive list of accomplishments tied to the NFL for anyone, much less an undrafted free agent. Then add in how likeable he is and I think he’d get a lot of votes and eventually might just get in.

visionary

Reaction score
You might be right on Romo’s demeanor but I know he has the competitiveness and football knowledge to be a good coach. As it stands now, I agree he isn’t a HOFer. However, if he does TV for another 3-4 years and wins more awards for it and then goes on to be a Super Bowl winning head coach, I think it’s possible for him. That would be an impressive list of accomplishments tied to the NFL for anyone, much less an undrafted free agent. Then add in how likeable he is and I think he’d get a lot of votes and eventually might just get in.

With that resume he might but he's not gonna have that resume
Romo is who he is, content to be adequate but not great
That's why he and Jerry and Garrett got along so well

Batman1980

Reaction score
We're to the point where the offense is so far gone, we need changes at every level.

I agree, throw out the baby with the bathwater. Bring in a staff that can maximize our production from Dak, Elliott and Cooper. We also need to develop Gallup and a new TE1, a great OC and offensive staff is critical.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
As much as I would love for that to happen, it's not happening... Your source has been right on stuff in the past. I'll give you that but unfortunately, not this time... I just don't see it.. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to eat so much crow I'll get sick...

My source said "don't repeat this" and I thought that was as fishy as Richard being HC of the fish. Just couldn't help myself. Just to juicy a rumor to pass up and I think you're safe on eating that crow :laugh:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If they truly want "fresh ideas" then they have to go outside.

Promoting from within this staff just begs the question: what were they doing last year when we were floundering?

Just the idea of keeping "continuity" from the offensive mindset from last year is sickening.

Section446

Reaction score
I agree, throw out the baby with the bathwater. Bring in a staff that can maximize our production from Dak, Elliott and Cooper. We also need to develop Gallup and a new TE1, a great OC and offensive staff is critical.
Part of the turnover needs to probably be Dak, he can't put a team on his shoulders.