Should the Cowboys trade for Tony Gonzalez or let the Giants get him?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok a friend of mine said that tony gongalez was on nfl live and said that he wanted to be traded to a champion team and not be on a rebuilding team like chiefs are now.

As you all know, the cowboys have witten & T O as primary receivers and they wanted to run the double TE formation this year, but bennett and tony curtis are coming along slow. I do think that if the cowboys traded for tony gonzalez that it would slow the development of Bennett TE, but at same time, we know how Crayton was open and would drop balls, etc,

If you had T O, Witten, Tony Gonzalez, with Crayton or Austin in the slot, you would have more firepower to run and throw, if Gonzalez has some stuff left.

what do you zoners think?

How much draft choice would you be willing to give up or would you be content to see the Giants trade for Tony Gonzalez, and be more potent on the offense?

Boysboy

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2326077 said:
Ok a friend of mine said that tony gongalez was on nfl live and said that he wanted to be traded to a champion team and not be on a rebuilding team like chiefs are now.

As you all know, the cowboys have witten & T O as primary receivers and they wanted to run the double TE formation this year, but bennett and tony curtis are coming along slow. I do think that if the cowboys traded for tony gonzalez that it would slow the development of Bennett TE, but at same time, we know how Crayton was open and would drop balls, etc,

If you had T O, Witten, Tony Gonzalez, with Crayton or Austin in the slot, you would have more firepower to run and throw, if Gonzalez has some stuff left.

what do you zoners think?

How much draft choice would you be willing to give up or would you be content to see the Giants trade for Tony Gonzalez, and be more potent on the offense?

Is it possible if we can get Michael Strahan out of retirement too? Would we have to pay up the Giants alot for it as well?

We also need another pass rusher or 2, FWIW.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
So we draft a TE in the second round, we groom a all-pro TE. Widley considered to be the best in the league right now

and you want us to trade the Cheifs for another TE?

Just so the Giants don't get him?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Actually if you could get him for a 5th or 6th then I'd do it. We have excess picks next year and he could help now and a lot by learning the playbook in time for Dec and Jan.

Yeah go for it but not to keep him away from the Giants although I don't blame you for thinking it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
34439099.jpg

"Ah... *smack!* err... um... no."

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DallasEast;2326138 said:
34439099.jpg

"Ah... *smack!* err... um... no."

:laugh2: I can see that which either makes it funny or maybe 'funny'. I'm with you.

Not going to happen but it's not a ridiculous idea assuming we can actually use him.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok, I understand some of you guys saying getting another te, but with multiple teams calling to get gonzalez, and giants offering a 6th pick but chiefs wanting a sweeter deal, what if the cowboys can package something like they did for adam jones.

Reason i am saying is this, gonzalez is a fleet wr and he can block too, (i understand about if you get him you slow the development of TE Bennett, but in long run, the formation of T O, Witten, Gonzalez, and Austin or Crayton in the slot would further spread the defense, open up the running lanes.

As i remember the cowboys gave up a 4th and a 6 for jones, what if cowboys can do same thing again for gonzalez, as you also realize, or forgot, most rookies hit the wall about the 10th game or so in december,

Gonzalez maybe what pushes the Cowboys back over the top, open up the offense more, and allow Witten to get some rest for his sore shoulder

so what do you think now?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
well i was thinking this would allow after a couple of weeks gonzalez to break into the offense adn get timing down, that this would allow witten to rest up his sore shoulder more, Bennett could learn some more from Gonzalez too

heck, you might even be able to turn around and trade Tony Curtis for a low round draft pick, to counter what you have to give up for gonzalez

the giants are saying to be willing to give up a 6th for gonzalez, but chiefs want more, maybe a deal like the cowboys worked out for adam jones, say a 4th and a 6th next year, something like that

and then you can run that 2 TE set like the cowboys have seemed to want to run

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2326083 said:
Maybe if Bill Parcells was still here.....we have ZERO need for another TE.

Parcells wouldn't want him on his team, he's not Italian