Should we have gone for points? "Smart Coaching" would have!

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Should we have gone for points at the end of the game? Why not take it down to 1-second and then kick a last-second FG, or go for a pass in the endzone? What if this season comes down to tiebreakers and points are a determing factor? Personally I think "Smart Coaching" would have thought about this and gone for points; the fact that we did not go for points, in my honest opinion, is furhter sign of this team lacking "Smart Coaching".

Discuss! :D

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
It has never come down to points in a tiebreaker.

And we didn't want a blocked FG to lose the game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2425751 said:
Should we have gone for points at the end of the game? Why not take it down to 1-second and then kick a last-second FG, or go for a pass in the endzone? What if this season comes down to tiebreakers and points are a determing factor? Personally I think "Smart Coaching" would have thought about this and gone for points; the fact that we did not go for points, in my honest opinion, is furhter sign of this team lacking "Smart Coaching".

I think given the distance and the way the wind was blowing in that game I think Wade made the right call of going for it. Washington was wearing down and was having a hard time stopping Barber.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dcfanatic;2425757 said:

I think it was in the 80's. Dallas need to beat the Eagles by like 53 points. Dallas won, but it was maybe bu 20 points. Can't remember if it was for a playoff spot, or the division.

And also, my thoughts too, take no chances on a blocked FG attempt.
It was the right call.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No matter if we kicked a FG and made it, they would have still needed a TD. Now that is just to tie or they could have went for 2 and won the game.

However the wind was going pretty bad and according to reports Folk was having trouble with FGs in the pre game warmups due to the wind so his normal range would not have been there.

Also remember the way the skins were doing on returns, and our lack of stopping them in the return game, added into the way folk was not getting touchbacks. Chances are they would have gotten a good run back and had a better chance at scoring, even with the time so short, than if they would have just gotten the ball were we were at on a missed FG or a if we did not pick up the 1st down.

Another thing to consider would be a FG block that could have helped them score.

On last thing to consider. We were in attack mode and it was working with the run. I liked that Wade trusted the offense to get it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2425757 said:

and a face masking penalty.....

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2425791 said:
and a face masking penalty.....

Uggg...thanks for the memories. I thought they were buried down deep.:eek::

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
We were ahead by 4.

Kick field goal, we're ahead by 7.

Think about it.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
running up the score is bad karma. we did the right thing and took the higher road and got the game over.:D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was the right call because it worked. Barber could have been stripped of the ball and it run back for a TD. I can play that game, too. If he'd have been stopped and the Skins have scored it would be time to fire Wade. He looks like a genius because it worked.

That's the way all those kind of calls work. Either way the Skins likely don't score.

Ren

Reaction score

With the way our ST was playing going for it was the smart move even if we hadn't gotten the 1st

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nevermind that Folk was having problems kicking from 40 yards out in that direction before the game, or that our special teams coach sucks, or that the Skins best chance to win would be to block a FG and run it back for a TD, or that we were dominating them in the run game... "Smart Coaching" would have been to kick the FG.

:rolleyes:

I'm so freakin' happy the OP isn't coaching the cowboys.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
We should have gone for the points as the last wild card spot tie-breaker is very likely to come down to a number of factors, points scored being one of them.

Ren

Reaction score
THUMPER;2425814 said:
We should have gone for the points as the last wild card spot tie-breaker is very likely to come down to a number of factors, points scored being one of them.

And then give up a 50 yard plus return on the following kickoff? which with our ST coverage that's a very real possibility

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I think he's talking about trying to score on the final play of the game, not going for it on fourth-and-1.

Either way, though, the answer is no. Adding a few points in case we get down to the SEVENTH tiebreaker isn't worth risking a loss.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

Belichk is that you?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Primetime42;2425823 said:
I wouldn't think of it as karma. I'd have considered it the "kill shot"

The patriots had a kill shot to start this year, after a year of running up the score.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
LowTech;2425802 said:
We were ahead by 4.

Kick field goal, we're ahead by 7.

Think about it.

think about this................We kick......up by 7 now.......now with a minute to go......we let them have a crack at our ST unit...ouch.....then we let them bomb 2 or 3 to S Moss ....how many of these bombs do we stop?....

I like that Wade put it on the players shoulders.....i think it was the manliest thing hes done since hes been here.......THATS how you put a team away ....we say it around here often............PUNCH EM IN THE MOUTH

:dissskin: