CFZ Shout out to Bones and the Special Teams

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As excited as we all are about our defense, we can’t forget to give a salute to Bones Fassel and the performance of the Cowboys STs. Look at these stats:
  • Since the start of the 2021 season, the Cowboys have blocked 4 punts- the most over that period in the entire NFL.
  • Dorance Armstrong alone this year has the blocked punt against the rams Sunday, and two weeks ago had a critical blocked FG against the midgets in a 23-16 win.
  • Most of us probably rolled our eyes when we signed Brett Maher but he is 10-11 on FG attempts so far and his kickoffs have been so deep, only one ko has been returned for 18 yards.
  • Although he hasn’t broken one yet, there’s no question it’s just a matter of time before Kevantah Turpin takes a punt or KO to the house. He’s the best returner we’ve had since Dwayne Harris. It’s so much better than the days of watching guys like Ryan Switzer let the ball hit the ground and lose 10-20 yards of field position.
  • Brian Anger is a punting/field position weapon.
Special teams are 1/3 of the game. For far too long we had below average STs. This year’s STs are bringing something special to each game.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like the fact that some of our best players (like Dorance Armstrong) are excited to be playing STs.

Yep, Jimmy would put a couple of starting dbs like Woody on specials if I remember correctly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's gotta stop fair catching everything. There was a time or two he shoulda gave it a shot.
Most of the time he’s making a fair catch, it’s called by the sidelines. Sometimes a specific call has been made for a punt block, or some other situations like wind and weather situations ore receiving inside the 20 where it may be safer to have a FC.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
As excited as we all are about our defense, we can’t forget to give a salute to Bones Fassel and the performance of the Cowboys STs. Look at these stats:
  • Since the start of the 2021 season, the Cowboys have blocked 4 punts- the most over that period in the entire NFL.
  • Dorance Armstrong alone this year has the blocked punt against the rams Sunday, and two weeks ago had a critical blocked FG against the midgets in a 23-16 win.
  • Most of us probably rolled our eyes when we signed Brett Maher but he is 10-11 on FG attempts so far and his kickoffs have been so deep, only one ko has been returned for 18 yards.
  • Although he hasn’t broken one yet, there’s no question it’s just a matter of time before Kevantah Turpin takes a punt or KO to the house. He’s the best returner we’ve had since Dwayne Harris. It’s so much better than the days of watching guys like Ryan Switzer let the ball hit the ground and lose 10-20 yards of field position.
Special teams are 1/3 of the game. For far too long we had below average STs. This year’s STs are bringing something special to each game.

I hold my hands up to often viewing ST like a side show versus O or D but you make good points Bob.

Not sure I go with the 1/3 as the D and O spend more meaningful snaps (I don't count kicks offs that clear the end zone as snaps)........definitely a contributer though and Bones seems like a giddy schoolboy whenever a play is made.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Most of the time he’s making a fair catch, it’s called by the sidelines. Sometimes a specific call has been made for a punt block, or some other situations like wind and weather situations ore receiving inside the 20 where it may be safer to have a FC.

I know but dude sometimes you gotta take your shot. I can put a slow, sure handed guy back there if all we are going to do is catch them.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love on the other team Must punt. I love the kick returner. It’s nice not to start every drive Inside our,20

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Couple of complaints
Anger has shanked a couple recently.
I hope this is not a trend.
We have botched a couple of xp attempts.
One of those was a block the other we have a new long snapper.
Hope we can get all the above cleaned up.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hold my hands up to often viewing ST like a side show versus O or D but you make good points Bob.

Not sure I go with the 1/3 as the D and O spend more meaningful snaps (I don't count kicks offs that clear the end zone as snaps)........definitely a contributer though and Bones seems like a giddy schoolboy whenever a play is made.
Well think about all that STs does. Extra points, FGs, field position…listen to every NFL HC. They always talk about the importance of special teams.

Imagine in a close game if you have a breakdown on blocking for a FG to win the game and it gets blocked. Or imagine leading by 10 with 4 min to go and your punt team allows a TD. Suddenly your opponent is back in the game. STs are indeed 1/3 of the game. Without good STs, you can lose games you shouldn’t.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Shout shout, let it all out.
1/3 of the game that we talk about.
Come on, this thread is for you.
Come on.
No doubt next week will be a tough matchup, but I think our special teams will prove to be the difference. Our punting, kickoffs and field goals have been consistent. We are a threat to return one, we are a threat to block one. Bones definitely deserves a tip of the cap. Instead of this unit costing us a game, it can now win us one.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

It's more like 1/7 than 1/3. At least, that's what Football Outsiders has estimated: 3 parts offense, 3 parts defense, 1 part special teams. But that ain't nothing!

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Well think about all that STs does. Extra points, FGs, field position…listen to every NFL HC. They always talk about the importance of special teams.

Imagine in a close game if you have a breakdown on blocking for a FG to win the game and it gets blocked. Or imagine leading by 10 with 4 min to go and your punt team allows a TD. Suddenly your opponent is back in the game. STs are indeed 1/3 of the game. Without good STs, you can lose games you shouldn’t.

I hear you Bob, just not the 1/3 angle. If that was true, kickers, punters, returners would be taken earlier in the draft (agreed)?

If a team dominates 4 TD to 1, runs all over you etc, no ST in the world can do a thing and that's why I'm not with the 1/3 thing.

Genuinely like what Bones is doing but it's gravy, not the meat or potatoes.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As excited as we all are about our defense, we can’t forget to give a salute to Bones Fassel and the performance of the Cowboys STs.
:bow: Great post!

Side note: I need to get me one of this hats.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

It's more like 1/7 than 1/3. At least, that's what Football Outsiders has estimated: 3 parts offense, 3 parts defense, 1 part special teams. But that ain't nothing!
Players take the field on offense, defense, and special teams. That's why some say it's a third of the game.

It's not about how much time or how many plays, a single unit gets on the field. Specials teams is still one of the three phases of the game. Offense, defense, and specials teams.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you Bob, just not the 1/3 angle. If that was true, kickers, punters, returners would be taken earlier in the draft (agreed)?

If a team dominates 4 TD to 1, runs all over you etc, no ST in the world can do a thing and that's why I'm not with the 1/3 thing.

Genuinely like what Bones is doing but it's gravy, not the meat or potatoes.
Can’t remember the year but either 2020 or 2021, a majority of NFL games were decided by 3 points or less. The K and STs can be those 3 points. And the difference between being 11-7 and 7-11.