Show me, don’t tell me

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Calling people cynical and cowardly for having an opinion you don’t agree with says a lot more about you because you were the one who wrote it. You’re welcome to call an opinion like “show me, don’t tell me” as cynical- I call it pragmatic. Whatever. But when you introduce terms like cowardice be prepared to be called out on it.

I don’t know anything about you Jumbo other than I appreciate you as a Cowboys fan and some of your opinions. I’m going to keep it that way. Sorry you got so worked up about an opinion.

I'm not worked up. It is a general opinion I have about those who are perpetually negative in their outlook on life. It's easy to be negative, and it's also emotionally safe. It's emotionally risky to remain positive when others disappoint you, because you can be disappointed again. And in my opinion, it takes courage to DECIDE to remain positive when there is always plenty of reasons to be cynical. Certainly, I'm not always successful in remaining positive. But it makes it easier to remain positive when you give up the idea that other people "owe" you success.

The reason I can remain positive about the leadership of the Cowboys is I truly believe they want to win, and are doing everything they know to bring another championship football team to the fans. I reset every year. I don't require they do it the way I think they should. And I can point to many, many cases when their judgment was better than mine. For example, I wanted Shawne Merriman over DeMarcus Ware, and I didn't like the trade up for DeMarcus Lawrence. I could get all self-righteous and point to how RIGHT I was about the poor decision to trade up for Morris Claiborne. But that is just cherry picking my own opinions to make myself look better than I really am.

I CHOOSE to believe in the Cowboys players, coaches and management, rather than be perpetually negative. I can also say that this is a much happier way to live your life as a fan.

Finally, it's not "faith" if you have to be shown before you believe. I CHOOSE to have faith in the players and staff. If that makes me look foolish, then so be it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You must have forgotten that the Cowboys playoff record in the 1980s was actually a pretty salty 5-4, including 3 divisional playoff wins and 3 straight NFC Championship games 1980-82. That’s 3 divisional playoff wins and 3 NFC championship games we haven’t seen around here in 23 years. As I’m sure you know we are 2-8 in the last 23 years in the playoffs.

So it was nothing like you described because it was a 10 year drought between NFC Championship games plus we had a HOF HC and a HOF GM running the show. It was much more hopeful than you speculate.

Now lets fill in the rest of what you forgot like the SALARY CAP that Landry and Schramm never had to go through. That didn't start until after Jones bought the team and had 3 rings before being put in cap he11 until hopefully next year. All of the haters and those spewing their negative comments always seem to forget that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not worked up. It is a general opinion I have about those who are perpetually negative in their outlook on life. It's easy to be negative, and it's also emotionally safe. It's emotionally risky to remain positive when others disappoint you, because you can be disappointed again. And in my opinion, it takes courage to DECIDE to remain positive when there is always plenty of reasons to be cynical. Certainly, I'm not always successful in remaining positive. But it makes it easier to remain positive when you give up the idea that other people "owe" you success.

The reason I can remain positive about the leadership of the Cowboys is I truly believe they want to win, and are doing everything they know to bring another championship football team to the fans. I reset every year. I don't require they do it the way I think they should. And I can point to many, many cases when their judgment was better than mine. For example, I wanted Shawne Merriman over DeMarcus Ware, and I didn't like the trade up for DeMarcus Lawrence. I could get all self-righteous and point to how RIGHT I was about the poor decision to trade up for Morris Claiborne. But that is just cherry picking my own opinions to make myself look better than I really am.

I CHOOSE to believe in the Cowboys players, coaches and management, rather than be perpetually negative. I can also say that this is a much happier way to live your life as a fan.

Finally, it's not "faith" if you have to be shown before you believe. I CHOOSE to have faith in the players and staff. If that makes me look foolish, then so be it.
I agree, it's much simpler to be negative.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree, it's much simpler to be negative.

So true but what just amazes me are the ones that spew their negativity and then say they are actually better fans for doing it. That they are real fans yet they should look up what the word fan actually means. No place in the definition of fan does it say bad mouthing, spewing negativity, constantly complaining is what a fan is. By definition doing those things are the complete opposite of being a fan.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So true but what just amazes me are the ones that spew their negativity and then say they are actually better fans for doing it. That they are real fans yet they should look up what the word fan actually means. No place in the definition of fan does it say bad mouthing, spewing negativity, constantly complaining is what a fan is. By definition doing those things are the complete opposite of being a fan.
Yeah, that's a good point.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I love the Dallas Cowboys. Since my dad took me to my first game in 1964, the Cowboys remain the first sports team I think of as a sports fan. Winning another Super Bowl is what I can’t wait to see again. Seeing the Cowboys win a 6th Lombardi is my current dream.

My evolution as a Cowboys fan reached a simple yet straightforward new place about 10 years ago regarding this team’s spokespeople: Show me, don’t tell me. Talk is cheap. Results are all that matter in the end. Jerry Jones is a great salesman. But the only way he can sell me anything now is to show me he can win a championship again after two decades plus of on field mediocrity.

Do I believe the Cowboys CAN win it all this year? Yes I do. Do I believe this is a team that improved itself through the draft and FA this offseason? Yes I do. Do I believe this team WILL qualify for and win in the playoffs? I don’t know.

But here’s what I do believe- it’s time for this HC and the GM who hired him 8 years ago to show us that they can bring a championship back to Dallas after 23 years. Show us that the “investment” in Jason Garrett’s growth as an NFL head coach was worth it by winning something beyond a division. If he can’t cook now, after “buying all the groceries”, it’s time to find someone else who will.

As the new season approaches, I’m excited about the possibilities. BUT...Show us, don’t tell us.

Well said, Bob. I am right there with you.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you are positive and have faith in the Cowboys leadership, I have no problem with that. That’s a point of view and you stated it well. I don’t share that point of view regarding this team’s leadership, so we just have a difference in opinion. No cynicism or cowardice took place in this exchange of opinions, lol.

We certainly agree that we both love the Cowboys and want to see them win. I see a lot of potential improvement with this team. I’m just choosing to expect some results before I “buy in” to the leadership’s version of all things Cowboys. Again, all we have is a difference of opinion. I don’t fault your view of believing in Jerry and his style of leadership and I would think you could understand that those of us who don’t believe in Jerry’s style are not being cynical cowards. Again, it’s just a difference of opinion.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
looking at that group running the cowboys makes you know its been a long time and its going to be a long time before there is a deep playoff run in dallas and sustained success
I don't mean to make fun but a deep playoff run is winning 2 games and then the SB. That's if your not a wild card. Then its three, right? Or do I have my numbers wrong?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
If you are positive and have faith in the Cowboys leadership, I have no problem with that. That’s a point of view and you stated it well. I don’t share that point of view regarding this team’s leadership, so we just have a difference in opinion. No cynicism or cowardice took place in this exchange of opinions, lol.

We certainly agree that we both love the Cowboys and want to see them win. I see a lot of potential improvement with this team. I’m just choosing to expect some results before I “buy in” to the leadership’s version of all things Cowboys. Again, all we have is a difference of opinion. I don’t fault your view of believing in Jerry and his style of leadership and I would think you could understand that those of us who don’t believe in Jerry’s style are not being cynical cowards. Again, it’s just a difference of opinion.

You certainly have many, many reasons to doubt.

kskboys

Reaction score
All I can say is that it costs less to be a cynic than it does to be an optimist. Cynicism is the easy way out. And advertising cynicism as some form of "virtue" is not something I'm willing to acknowledge.

Of course we optimists see all the faults of the team, in all its various forms. Of course we know nothing is guaranteed. This is news? But in my estimation, being a good fan is kind of like being a good parent. You must encourage them to become what they can be, and fulfill their potential. Yes, it means you open yourself to disappointment, over and over and over and over again.

But where is the courage in hiding behind being critical, or being cynical? That's not virtue. It's not "realism." It's cowardice, plain and simple. You're afraid of being hurt again. Let me break some news to you: The Cowboys are going to disappoint you, again and again and again and again. But you have a choice. Man up and be an optimistic fan, or hide behind your fears.

Forgive me for being blunt.
Very poor analyses of your definition of fanhood along w/ an extremely narrow viewpoint. And calling people names who don't agree with you? Very weak. I'm highly disappointed in you for this post. Hopefully, you can find your way out of your narrow viewpoint and understand that fans are different and feel things in different ways. Yes, there are few who are negative no matter what, but that group is so small they are not even worth mentioning.

What you are advocating is plainly and simply lying to yourself and others only so you can feel good about yourself and so no one will think negatively of you.

This is one of the saddest, most arrogant, narrowest, and most hypocritical post I've ever seen on these boards. Your judging of fans just because they don't see and react to things the way you do is the very definition of cowardice, deathly afraid of stepping outside your own little numnum world and attempting to see things from someone's else viewpoint w/ different feelings and thoughts.

You should first apologize to everyone for calling them cowards, as it was completely uncalled for, and then you should look deep w/i yourself and correct this malfeasance you call optimism.

Apologies to everyone in advance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate all the Cowboys fans who commented here. Even the ones I disagreed with their opinions. Whatever you believe about our favorite team as a fan is your right to believe and say. If I disagree with that, it doesn’t make you or anyone else a “bad fan”.

When fans start telling other fans what “the real definition” of a fan is, we are all in trouble. As a Cowboys fan, the first real enemies I think of reside in the City of Brotherly Shove. I’m sure we can all agree on that.