SI: Dez Bryant pitching himself as Cowboys Tight-End (taking over Witten's role)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Burned bridges? Garrett is gone.

He's never come after Jerry. I'd reconvert him to TE tomorrow.
He burned bridges with Witten, Lee and Garrett. Fortunately those three are gone or going away.
The only fool with whom Despicable did not burn bridges was Jerry.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it hurting him?
I doubt Bryant feels any negative outcome will come from asking for employment by tweeting. Tweeting to land a job in the NFL does not likely provides expected outcomes. He is his own man, so he can keep doing what he has always done.

Tommy

Reaction score
I can see it happening. Jerry loved dez. I cant say for sure but my gut says getting rid of dez was strictly a garrett decision.
What is your gut feeling as to what he doesn’t have a job in the NFL?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
He's an aging player that hasn't played in years and is coming off of a very serious injury that directly further affects his level of play and he has never been a studious technician of the game to take advantage of the finer points of winning routes and points of attack so that his game ages more gracefully.

But... he does have passion.

Skillit

Reaction score
Weird......makes me go hmmmmmmm.....

I like athletes at the TE position.

I don’t like drama on the field, in the locker room. Or on Social media
I don’t like drops
I don’t like TEs that can’t block (I’m assuming he’d have to grade out poorly as a blocker)

1 yes- 3 no

So no.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I doubt Bryant feels any negative outcome will come from asking for employment by tweeting. Tweeting to land a job in the NFL does not likely provides expected outcomes. He is his own man, so he can keep doing what he has always done.

I don't see any negative outcome from doing it either. I think sometimes people go on autopilot "Outrage! Who's with me in decrying this debauchery?" that ordinary, harmless actions get included. Did he light up a blunt after making his pleas? That hasn't been reported.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well he doesn't have a job, or a hint of getting one...
But I'm sure a vet min is going to be dangled at some point by someone... somewhere.

I mean, I doubt tweeting is the reason he doesn't have a job. I don't exactly know how posting videos of you still working and keeping yourself in game shape (as much as you can away from the game) is going to turn teams away.

There are players that have absolutely crap optics on Twitter and still have a job in the NFL. Teams are looking away due to age and his most recent injury.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see any negative outcome from doing it either. I think sometimes people go on autopilot "Outrage! Who's with me in decrying this debauchery?" that ordinary, harmless actions get included. Did he light up a blunt after making his pleas? That hasn't been reported.
7dSzsgH.gif

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Hes an aging receiver that seemed to be in serious decline the last year in Dallas. I would imagine he can still have a role on an NFL team, but A) is he really the person who is OK being a role player and B) can he give you enough production to outweigh the drama? I don't have a great answer to either of those questions. For that reason i probably wouldnt touch him if i were another NFL team, but Jerry knows Dez pretty well if anyone were going to take that gamble it would be him.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
An Anquan Boldin type of role.

A motivated Dez Bryant who is healthy is dangerous.

He's only 31 years old too.

I'd love to have him back. He's one of our all time greats and just wants to play for the love of the game.

People act like he is Antonio Brown or something.

Just tells me those people don’t follow him. Dude seems pretty honest and level headed, also seems to enjoy playing fans at Madden, I can think of worse things a player can do. His training clips look good. I’d roll the dice at a 4/ST/RZ type player.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I mean, I doubt tweeting is the reason he doesn't have a job. I don't exactly know how posting videos of you still working and keeping yourself in game shape (as much as you can away from the game) is going to turn teams away.

There are players that have absolutely crap optics on Twitter and still have a job in the NFL. Teams are looking away due to age and his most recent injury.
I savvy what you're saying.
I'm not being clear:
I'm more saying his agent isn't doing him any favors so he feels like he has to advertise himself. No matter how right, or wrong that may be.
Teams are not calling his agent.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's not coming back, not to Dallas. I doubt very seriously Mike McCarthy wants him, and if Jerry tries to force him on our new coach, McCarthy's tenure is over before it starts.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Pros:

*Dez is very strong and tough for a WR.
*He has always blocked well for a WR.
*Even with his diminished athleticism, he would be among the most athletic TE’s in the game.
*He plays with heart and loves the Cowboys.
*He would likely play for a relatively low amount of money.

Cons:

*His passion (sideline antics) is more often than not, a distraction.
*Ive heard that TE is the second most difficult position on the team to learn, and Dez isn’t the quickest to pick stuff up, mentally.
*It would likely be a huge distraction on a team trying to incorporate a new coaching staff and new systems on both sides of the ball.
*His “passion” would probably bubble to the surface when the team is losing and he’s not getting any passes.

Honestly, I’ve always liked the idea of taking a big WR and converting him to an athletic, smaller TE, so the thought of Dez at TE is an intriguing one for me. Back in the day I was telling anyone who would listen that Dallas should draft Shannon Sharpe out of Georgia State and convert him to TE... so I like the idea.

However, I just can’t see Dez in that role in Dallas because of his history here, his personality, and the relentless media onslaught that surely would follow his signing. Mainly though, I question his ability to adequately mentally grasp the position and all it requires.

I’d rather just draft a big WR and convert him if that’s what they want to do. I’d be fine with that. Bringing in Dez just seems too much like going backwards somehow.

That’s just my opinion though.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not coming back, not to Dallas. I doubt very seriously Mike McCarthy wants him, and if Jerry tries to force him on our new coach, McCarthy's tenure is over before it starts.
agree. If Jerry is dumb enough to push this, its all she wrote.