News: SI: Hasselbeck thinks the offense could take a step backward under MM

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys Offense to 'Take a Step Backward!' Under Mike McCarthy Says Ex NFL QB​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So this is my thing…hypothetically the offense struggled to start the season…..can’t they just go back to the offense they ran last year since not much will be changed?

Carson

Reaction score
Open calorie yards. Tons of sizzle not much steak.

Call it what you want. But at any point did you feel this offense was going to control a game? Dominate? I just go back to Green Bay and Jacksonville. Super predictable game plans like against SF.

We don’t need flashy stats. We need consistency, ball control, long sustained drives leading to touchdowns

Play in front of the chains. No more run Zeke for 2, holding, run Zeke for 2 and be stuck in 3rd and longs.

Carson

Reaction score
So this is my thing…hypothetically the offense struggled to start the season…..can’t they just go back to the offense they ran last year since not much will be changed?
The team lost : Zeke, McGovern, Brown, Schultz. McGovern only looks like a loss because they did not sign a LG

The team added : Schoonmaker, Cooks, Jones. Gallup is back healthy and Pollard is the #1 guy.

There is no reason to think this team regresses or doesn’t put up similar numbers

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It should.

We need to play ball control and time of possession.

It’s a proven fact we can’t count on this group to score 20 point’s against a team like the 49ers, so we have to have the 01 Ravens defense and try and with games 17-14.

It won’t happen though, but that’s the plan.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In reality two of the Offenses poorest performances came in the last three games.
Hypothetically the first game of the season also came in with a shout.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys had some real good, high scoring offenses under Kellen Moore. The only reason he’s not here is because of Dak’s inconsistent play and INT‘s last season. It’s going to be hard to improve over what we’ve had. Everyone loved Kellen Moore when he first arrived but fans are fickle. It’s not going to take fans long to hate on McCarthy and Schottenheimer if the offense starts to sputter and we don’t see the scoring we’ve seen.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.
i tend to agree here. new system and running the ball more. we are not going to have to top offense in the league. so yes it will take a step backwards if we are not top 2 in offense. but wining games will go up in the big games i believe and that is what matters. not that you are number 2 in offense. if your offense is too 10 and defense is top 10. this team can be lethal in the playoffs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think MM's thing is to build your game around each opponent's weakness and that may differ from game to game. For example, why are passing for over 300 yards against a defense ranked 27th against the run? So yea, the offense could take a step back but we could also be a better team, especially post-season.

BTW........remember the Pats tried to jack their offense with Randy Moss? Lead the league in darn near every offensive stat but missed the SB.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They never said they were going to run more. McCarthy doesn't even have that reputation. He wants to be more consistent and more effective. They have Lamb, Cooks & a healthy Gallup. This passing game is going to be way better than last year where Brown was the #2 WR.

JBS

Reaction score
I heard that McCarthy really doesn’t care about stats and offensive rankings.

I feel like we’re going to lean towards ball control.
We won’t. That’s never been MMs style

baltcowboy

Reaction score

With our defense all the offense has to do is cut down on the turnovers. The Cowboys appear to have upgraded the offense because of a trade and the fact that Gallup, Steele and Pollard should be healthy. The difference will be when the Cowboys are winning by double digits they will not come out in 4/5 wideouts and the elimination of the option routes. I think the offense will actually have bigger plays.

NotForLong

Reaction score

It could happen. What will happen under Mike is an unknown. How Dark will perform and adjust is an unknown.

In Theory everyone seems to believe Muke taking over play Calling will be a plus for Dak. Hopefully this is the case . . . but if not there is no going back yo what made Dak successful (Moore's Play calling)

My hope is Mike makes Dak into a winner but if for whatever reason Dak struggles I believe Mike will find another way to win without Prescott. It will be an interesting season

Carson

Reaction score
The Cowboys had some real good, high scoring offenses under Kellen Moore. The only reason he’s not here is because of Dak’s inconsistent play and INT‘s last season. It’s going to be hard to improve over what we’ve had. Everyone loved Kellen Moore when he first arrived but fans are fickle. It’s not going to take fans long to hate on McCarthy and Schottenheimer if the offense starts to sputter and we don’t see the scoring we’ve seen.
I disagree.

Multiple times in the past teams like SF, Philly, Tampa talked about how simple our offenses were.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I disagree.

Multiple times in the past teams like SF, Philly, Tampa talked about how simple our offenses were.
It certainly wasn’t preventing our offenses from scoring a lot of points. We put up 50+ twice in 2021. When Dak returned from injury last season we became the highest scoring offense in the league. Until last season Dak was very productive under Moore. Go look at all the 400 yard games he had. It’s not going to be easy for our offense to get better than it was. We have uncertainty at RB and if we can’t run the ball efficiently there’s going to be issues.