SI high on Cowboys and Giants to make the playoffs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Six losing teams in 2020 that will make the playoffs in 2021 - Sports Illustrated

I know, time for some to express their love and hate for Sports Illustrated but nobody doesn't love the Swimsuit Issue.
Giants could be most improved team in division. If Jones continues developing and stays healthy with Barkley’s return , Garrett’s offense could begin paying dividends.

And they already have a formidable defense. If we don’t win the division, I like NY.

ghst187

Reaction score
They gave TB a good game..... so? They are still a sub 500 team. One game playing above their heads doesnt change that. Fitzpatrick being an erratic QB is the worst fit for them. He single handedly loses more games than he wins. They need a game manger to not turn the ball over and give opponents field position. That isnt Fitzpatrick. They have 1 legitimate weapon on offense. Gibson is a decent back, but he isnt dictating what a defense should do. McLaurin is their only real threat, and he is probably more of a #2. They were a 7-9 team last year with 6 games against the most broken division in the NFL. With all our and NY's injuries they could close the division until the last week of the season lol

i think it was more than just playing above their heads one game…A) their defense was good enough to keep them in games, their defense was coming on end of last season which considering they didn’t have an off-season and their new coach’s defensive scheme was just starting to take effect B) the difference between the good teams and bad is smaller than what people want to admit C) the skins had injuries too
I think they are going to be tough. Rivera is a hard-nosed coach and has a defense to match it.
Hope I’m wrong but I still view them as the team to beat in the division.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But only 4 of the 7 had losing records in 2019. And 1 of the 4 made it in due to the expanded playoff teams from 12 to 14 teams.

6 teams going from losing records to the playoffs seem like a lot. If there are going to be teams going from losing records to the playoffs, It will undoubtedly be in the NFC East where everyone had a losing record.

True, but whatever the reason, there were still 7 teams in the 2020 playoffs that weren't there in 2019. That's all I was saying, that it's certainly possible, maybe even likely, that there will be 6 "new" teams in the playoffs this year.

Not a SI fan except for the aforementioned one issue, but in this case they have a good reason for saying what they did...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think six losing teams of 2020 make the playoffs the following year. The good teams in the league remain fairly consistent from year to year. Maybe three or four teams make the playoffs that didn't make it last year, but not six. I do believe the Cowboys will be one of those teams.

I think there can easily be 6 different teams, but not all with losing records. A few with winning records could make it.
Dolphins were 10-6, Raiders 8-8, though not technically winning or losing season. Chargers were playing better and ended up at 7-9, not a winning record but close.
Cardinals at 8-8, Vikings pushing at 7-9.

So 3 teams at .500 or better can be 3 of the 6 teams.

I do believe if the entire offense and defense, were healthy we would have won the division. Yes the defense sucked but they were finally getting it in the last 4 to 6 games. So if a healthy offense they would have won some of those games toward the end to take the division.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas should very much make the playoffs.
You look at the actual talent on the team and it is playoff worthy.
DAL has the best QB pretty easily and offense in general should be top 3.
Defense has TONS of question marks but playoffs is a low bar for a team that should average over 30 PPG. .

Giants are interesting but they have to get better OL/QB play to do anything.
Of all 4 teams they might be the weakest in the trenches AND at QB which is tough to overcome.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh..I forgot....some one will be getting fired at SI over this. They usually do the suck article thing and hate on Dallas. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants could be most improved team in division. If Jones continues developing and stays healthy with Barkley’s return , Garrett’s offense could begin paying dividends.

And they already have a formidable defense. If we don’t win the division, I like NY.

I agree. They had a solid defense last season that was playing better as the season went along. It wasn't great, but was solid. With Barkley back that could help Jones a lot. Not sure if they addressed the OL or not. They won't be a force, but they can compete.

I am more concerned with them then I am that Football Team in DC. They appeared to have this great defense, but only against weak offensive teams. such as us with 3rd and 4th teamers playing at OL & QB. But they gave up points and lost to good offensive teams. Though they will still compete.
Most of Dallas fans probably only seen them play against us and thought..wow, this defense is awesome...but did not see them against other teams when they were not so awesome.
They did not fix their QB issue. They added another band-aid that may or may not hold.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I still see Dallas as a 8-9 win team... I have to see how the o-line and defense holds up.

Techsass

Reaction score
I still see Dallas as a 8-9 win team... I have to see how the o-line and defense holds up.
Wait a second. So let's just say the defense doesn't get any better, which I'm hoping isn't the case. We get Dak, Tyron, La'el & Jarwin back, but only manage 2 more wins?

Flamma

Reaction score
7 teams made it in 2020 that weren't there in 2019.

6 more making it this year is no stretch...

Right. Except that's not the criteria. It's 6 losing teams from last season. There were only 4 from 2019 to 2020.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't think six losing teams of 2020 make the playoffs the following year. The good teams in the league remain fairly consistent from year to year. Maybe three or four teams make the playoffs that didn't make it last year, but not six. I do believe the Cowboys will be one of those teams.

You're most likely right. I think it happened once in the last 6 years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what to expect from the team, at this juncture, in their struggles to become a winner. o_O

Let's hope, for all we're worth, for this team's success! It may take all they've got to overcome last season. ;)

Last edited: