CFZ Signing Hopkins doesn't really make a lot of sense

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. It would certainly be fun to have Hopkins in the lineup. However, firstly, let's be careful this doesn't turn into a Earl Thomas situation. Also, let's look at what I predict will be our receiving /te group to start the season on the 30, and then see where we need help.

WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Moreno-Cropper, and Turpin

TE: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, and Bell.

I suppose I could see him making a nice 4 WR option, but I'm also keen to see Tolbert in camp. Remember, he was at a small school, so it can take a bit for a small school player to become accustomed to NFL speed. I think we at least should have 3 top WRs, and a nice TE group. Let's look at areas needing help:

Kicker: this is an area that is scary atm.
RB: probably could use a bit more competition.
Oline: could use more depth

I think it'd be fun if we were to get Hopkins, but i think we have at least 3 positions that need help beyond WR. I am concerned that Hopkins could be another Earl Thomas situation.

817Gill

Reaction score
The league knows he’s not the same guy, that’s why nobody will pay him.

Can he make a play or two, sure. Is that worth 13-16M? No way.

And we are looking for a playoff playmaker, dude will be broken down by week 10. Multiple league execs have relayed through media that they believe he’s about done.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, it doesn't make sense to replace a UDFA WR with a guy who had a 16-game pace of 114 catches and 1,275 yards catching passes from Colt McCoy and David Blough lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, it doesn't make sense to replace a UDFA WR with a guy who had a 16-game pace of 114 catches and 1,275 yards catching passes from Colt McCoy and David Blough lol
It doesn’t make sense after trading for Cooks. I’ve heard reports he’s looking for around $15M, the same amount OBJ got. We would have to pay him and the Cowboys would likely have to give up on Jalen Tolbert a third round pick after only one season.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense after trading for Cooks. I’ve heard reports he’s looking for around $15M, the same amount OBJ got. We would have to pay him and the Cowboys would likely have to give up on Jalen Tolbert a third round pick after only one season.
Last week you told me he wasn't going to get OBJ money ;)

Obviously, the money is a question as to whether they can do it. But Hopkins makes sense as far as roster construction.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but is that our only option? To grab a receiver? We can’t grab a RB? Or linebacker? Or guard?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get me wrong. It would certainly be fun to have Hopkins in the lineup. However, firstly, let's be careful this doesn't turn into a Earl Thomas situation. Also, let's look at what I predict will be our receiving /te group to start the season on the 30, and then see where we need help.

WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Moreno-Cropper, and Turpin

TE: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, and Bell.

I suppose I could see him making a nice 4 WR option, but I'm also keen to see Tolbert in camp. Remember, he was at a small school, so it can take a bit for a small school player to become accustomed to NFL speed. I think we at least should have 3 top WRs, and a nice TE group. Let's look at areas needing help:

Kicker: this is an area that is scary atm.
RB: probably could use a bit more competition.
Oline: could use more depth

I think it'd be fun if we were to get Hopkins, but i think we have at least 3 positions that need help beyond WR. I am concerned that Hopkins could be another Earl Thomas situation.
You’re absolutely right. To say nothing of the impact his salary demands would have on our current and future cap situation.

But that’s a reality some would rather not see.