Signing Stephon Gilmore could have been our Charles Haley moment!

rambo2

Reaction score
This team, this year, has the talent and the coaching to compete for a Super Bowl title!

I would have taken the risk( financial, is he recovered from his injury, etc. ) and signed Gilmore. Gilmore was a top 3 corner when healthy. Pairing Gilmore and Diggs at the corners would have given Quinn, SO many options. Our pass D and run D would have immediately improved!!!

The Gilmore move would have made our major weakness, our 2nd corner, a STRENGTH!!

I am not saying we can’t win a Super Bowl without Gilmore, I think we can, but Brown needs to improve a lot, or 1 of our young corners, need to step up their game and take the job from Brown.

Charles Haley put Dallas on top in the 90’s. Would Gilmore have done the same thing for the 2021 team?

I wish Jerry would have made the move for Gilmore. Do you?
Lol, no. They have 2 rookie corners that they are developing. You have no idea if Gilmore will be good or even play.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
If you say no at least say no because of the financial aspect...don’t give me the draft pick line. It’s a 6th round pick lol. To beat that it would cost us a 5th. That’s not the reason we passed. We passed for cap reasons not draft pick reasons

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Or maybe not. Sometimes your best deals are the ones you don’t make.

So many fans (myself included) wanted Jamal Adams in a Cowboys uniform in the worst way. He’s been awful for Seattle this year.

And never forget Nnamdi Asomugha spurning Dallas for Philly.

We dodged a bullet with both Adams and Asomugha. Fans here in Seattle are turning on Adams and it’s all I heard about on sports radio the past couple days is how bad he’s looked.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
In the turnover department, yes. The general D, no. This D depends almost entirely on turnovers and that's a recipe for disaster. Eventually that luck will run out.
They are starting to get after the QB too. Just give it a little time, this D is coming.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lol, no. They have 2 rookie corners that they are developing. You have no idea if Gilmore will be good or even play.
I do have an idea.

I think Gilmore will play and play well. We have no idea how well our rookie corners will play. Gilmore is a proven top corner our rookie corners are not. Brown is a proven below average NFL corner.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
For a 5th or 6th round pick, what did Dallas have to lose? Is Gilmore better than Brown? I will admit Brown is stepping up his game. Probably inspired by Diggs. But is Gilmore better? Dallas doesn't have to extend him.

The Adams trade. I understood the logic. You get a top player for two late first round picks. It could work out better. But if the D is so bad that the top player has no noticeable impact, then what you needed were picks, not the player.
Gilmore is one of the top corners in the NFL when healthy, while Brown is a below average NFL corner. Vs Carolina Brown got burnt bad for a long completion. Brown needs to improve or we need one of the rookie corners to step up.

DanA

Reaction score
To sign Gilmore we’d have to have about 10m in cap space to cover his contract. If we thought Gilmore could be healthy after the bye and we had an opportunity to create cap space it would have been a nice move. I would then have let him walk at the end of the season and take the compo pick in 2023.

The draft pick is almost irrelevant considering you’d get a 3rd or 4th round compo pick when he leaves, but remember that 10m of cap space means we likely can’t sign Gregory next year or someone else we want to keep.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No one that plays that far from the line of scrimmage is going to be your "Charles Haley" moment. Especially not a declining CB. Don't get me wrong. I would have outbid what the Panthers gave up (even if I had no intention of signing him to a long term deal), but Gilmore's best days are behind him.
I agree in general a DE like Charles Haley is more of a difference maker than a top corner, but Brown is so inconsistent, I think a healthy Gilmore would have made a huge difference for this D. Regarding Gilmore’s age. He’s a hard worker with pride. I think he has a couple good years left.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
We don't have anything close to the defense to win a champtionship, yet. Our D is basically either get a turnover, or allow an easy TD. There are going to be games eventually where we don't get 2-3 turnovers.

This. It's true we are creating turnovers, and that's great. But we routinely give up big yardage plays, especially 3rd and forever plays as easy as it comes.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Bellichek (spelling wrong) wanted him in Brady's division, maybe a better draft pick than Panthers 6th might have gotten it done but we don't know
Gilmore probably wanted more than we were willing to pay.

Would be interesting to know if we put an offer in for him.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Haley was younger and more impactful than Gilmore will be. This dude is still injured and might not play for 3 weeks. He had a rough 2020 as well. Wasn't great. This was a bit risky by them. He may pan out but may not do much. He's on the pup list btw.
With our situation at the #2 corner, I wish we could have gotten him, even if we had to over pay a little bit.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
gimore of 3 years ago, before injury...too bad we can't project the past to present...he is a known name, thus fans fall for the name...he is still on IR and not sure if he will fully recover....

at this point Gilmore is like Deion who signed with washington and sucked over there.....

no fantasy football. just real football. and if he was that good, then NE would have held on, or not let him go for a 6th....you noticed, nobody offered a 5th, otherwise NE would have taken it.
It was about money not draft picks.

If healthy Gilmore is a huge upgrade at our 2nd corner.

How come NE didn’t find a way to hang onto Brady? Does Brady still have game? Maybe Gilmore was tired of the Belicheat way, just like Brady!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I’m excited about the youthful talent developing on this team on defense. Adding a 31 year old CB coming a major injury and looking to get a bigger deal next year would not pair well with the future of this team. Glad we didn’t give up a draft pick for him.

Charles Haley was 28 when we acquired him in ‘92 and no recent major injury to overcome and acquiring him was pre-salary cap era move. Not really an apt comparison IMO.
I’m excited about this team too, but I also realize right now we have a real weakness at our 2nd corner. If healthy( Gilmore is a hard worker with pride. He will do everything he can to get healthy and back to top form) Gilmore, even at 31, would be a huge upgrade over Brown. One of our rookie corners may be the answer for Brown, but the coaches have not given them an opportunity to prove it. Gilmore at a reasonable rental for just this year would have been a good move to me.

The comparison between Haley and Gilmore was just that after signing Haley, a huge missing piece to our D in the 90’s, we went on to win the Superbowl the season after signing Haley( actually multiple Superbowls ). I was hoping Gilmore’s signing could do the same thing this year.

rambo2

Reaction score
I do have an idea.

I think Gilmore will play and play well. We have no idea how well our rookie corners will play. Gilmore is a proven top corner our rookie corners are not. Brown is a proven below average NFL corner.
Really? You have an idea that a 31 year old player is going to play well coming off an injury and would spend a bundle to find out and cut a younger player with a future? That isn't a good idea.