Signing Stephon Gilmore could have been our Charles Haley moment!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Really? You have an idea that a 31 year old player is going to play well coming off an injury and would spend a bundle to find out and cut a younger player with a future? That isn't a good idea.
We don’t need to cut anyone. We just released Jaylon.

At a reasonable cost for a rental this year, I think Gilmore would have made our D much better!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
There's a dam good young team developing here. We don't need Gilmore.
We don’t need Gilmore for what? To lose in the playoffs.

We need Gilmore or much better play at our 2nd corner. Maybe it will come from one of our rookies, but I don’t think it will come from Brown. I hope Brown improves a lot, but I just don’t see it. The long completion in the 4th quarter vs Carolina was typical Brown. He gets burnt and misses the tackle, but has the speed to chase the guy down after a 60 yard gain.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This team, this year, has the talent and the coaching to compete for a Super Bowl title!

I would have taken the risk( financial, is he recovered from his injury, etc. ) and signed Gilmore. Gilmore was a top 3 corner when healthy. Pairing Gilmore and Diggs at the corners would have given Quinn, SO many options. Our pass D and run D would have immediately improved!!!

The Gilmore move would have made our major weakness, our 2nd corner, a STRENGTH!!

I am not saying we can’t win a Super Bowl without Gilmore, I think we can, but Brown needs to improve a lot, or 1 of our young corners, need to step up their game and take the job from Brown.

Charles Haley put Dallas on top in the 90’s. Would Gilmore have done the same thing for the 2021 team?

I wish Jerry would have made the move for Gilmore. Do you?
Diggs is a shut down CB opposing QB’s will avoid. End of story.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Or maybe not. Sometimes your best deals are the ones you don’t make.

So many fans (myself included) wanted Jamal Adams in a Cowboys uniform in the worst way. He’s been awful for Seattle this year.

And never forget Nnamdi Asomugha spurning Dallas for Philly.
Selective memory!

How did Charles Haley workout?

How did Amari Cooper workout?

How did Deon Sanders workout?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We don't have anything close to the defense to win a champtionship, yet. Our D is basically either get a turnover, or allow an easy TD. There are going to be games eventually where we don't get 2-3 turnovers.
I disagree.

jnday

Reaction score
Respectively disagree. The better option would be Gotsis. He's only 29, is a six-year NFL veteran & is an upcoming FA. He missed Week 1, but has two sacks in the last three weeks. Don't be surprised if Dallas doesn't pull the trigger on this kid.

Besides, the Jags are spiraling as they are winless through four weeks & Meyers (who many Zone members wanted a Dallas's HC) is currently mired in scandal. There goes Urban's resume. :laugh:
Do you remember the pictures of drunk Jerry and the young lady that he was dancing with that went public a few years ago? Jerry has a few scandals of his own. There is not much difference between Jimmy and Meyer. Cowboy fans have no room to judge others when their closet is full of skeletons. In what way does Meyer’s first NFL season differ from Jimmy’s first year in the pros? Both of them took a HC job with teams that had no talent. It seems like Cowboy fans have a short memory. Meyer is a very good coach and I would still rather have him and his scandals instead of MM.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I do NOT. It was about the costs for me. The draft pick was minimal, but the salary would have further screwed up a bad salary cap situation.
I was just hoping to rent him for this year, if we could get him at a reasonable price. Maybe over pay a little bit because he would take over for our weak link on D, Brown.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Trevon Diggs is developing into a great corner. A corner isn’t going to impact a team like a great pass rusher. You can’t compare Gilmore with Charles Haley.
If Gilmore joined our team and helped us win a Super Bowl this year, I could!

jnday

Reaction score
If you say no at least say no because of the financial aspect...don’t give me the draft pick line. It’s a 6th round pick lol. To beat that it would cost us a 5th. That’s not the reason we passed. We passed for cap reasons not draft pick reasons
That’s impossible. There are a lot of fans that are always saying that cap hell is a myth and the salary cap can easily be manipulated so that the team can sign any player that they want.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Please make this silliness stop, this isn't madden and Gilmore is a 31 year old injured cb with issues...why disrupt the chemistry this young team has and strap the team financially
To rent him for this season only, and put our weak link on D, Brown on the bench.

Disrupt the chemistry? Are you joking? They just released Jaylon( which I agreed with). Don’t you think that would effect the chemistry more than bringing in a top CB( if healthy )?

rambo2

Reaction score
We don’t need to cut anyone. We just released Jaylon.

At a reasonable cost for a rental this year, I think Gilmore would have made our D much better!
They have a full roster and then some. They certainly would have to let a player go if they added a player. It is simple math. They have several players coming back in the near future.