Signing Stephon Gilmore could have been our Charles Haley moment!

jnday

Reaction score
Selective memory!

How did Charles Haley workout?

How did Amari Cooper workout?

How did Deon Sanders workout?
How did Galloway work out? How did WR Roy Williams work out? How did Brandon Carr work out?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This team, this year, has the talent and the coaching to compete for a Super Bowl title!

I would have taken the risk( financial, is he recovered from his injury, etc. ) and signed Gilmore. Gilmore was a top 3 corner when healthy. Pairing Gilmore and Diggs at the corners would have given Quinn, SO many options. Our pass D and run D would have immediately improved!!!

The Gilmore move would have made our major weakness, our 2nd corner, a STRENGTH!!

I am not saying we can’t win a Super Bowl without Gilmore, I think we can, but Brown needs to improve a lot, or 1 of our young corners, need to step up their game and take the job from Brown.

Charles Haley put Dallas on top in the 90’s. Would Gilmore have done the same thing for the 2021 team?

I wish Jerry would have made the move for Gilmore. Do you?

No. Haley stepped in on day 1 and was ready to go and made immediate impact. We also had no salary cap when Haley came.

Gilmore is 31, isn't even healthy right now, and wants a big contract, which was his problem in Billy land. We will not have the money to give him next year. We are much better signing a young stud pass rusher like Gregory than a cb that will be 32 and want a massive contract.

Jipper

Reaction score
To rent him for this season only, and put our weak link on D, Brown on the bench.

Disrupt the chemistry? Are you joking? They just released Jaylon( which I agreed with). Don’t you think that would effect the chemistry more than bringing in a top CB( if healthy )?

Letting one of your own players that is unperforming sends a message to the locker room that can pull players together

Bringing in a 31 year disgruntled player that feels he's vastly underpaid and throwing him in with a young defense has potential to disrupt the chemistry.

I agree he would be an upgrade over brown but I want to see the players continue to come together and devlop...and none of this matters bc we couldn't afford him anyways.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Parsons a lot, but not even close to Charles Haley right now!

Maybe in the future, but not now.

Does not matter if he is as good yet ......... he ignited this defense like Charles Haley did in the 90's ........

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. Haley stepped in on day 1 and was ready to go and made immediate impact. We also had no salary cap when Haley came.

Gilmore is 31, isn't even healthy right now, and wants a big contract, which was his problem in Billy land. We will not have the money to give him next year. We are much better signing a young stud pass rusher like Gregory than a cb that will be 32 and want a massive contract.

Absolutely correct.
And add that Joseph will be able to come in and actually play after the bye week. A much cheaper younger guy who can come in and at worst replace Canaday or at best become the #2 guy this year and into the future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just hoping to rent him for this year, if we could get him at a reasonable price. Maybe over pay a little bit because he would take over for our weak link on D, Brown.

I can definitely appreciate that position from those like you that did. A ‘kick the door in’ move for a potential championship.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Not even close in comparison. Gilmore was good last year not great. He would have been a nice addition but no where close to the impact Haley had.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is not hard you want the players BB WANTS TO KEEP not the ones he is done with....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How did Galloway work out? How did WR Roy Williams work out? How did Brandon Carr work out?

How did Jaylon Smith work out?

How did Marion Barber work out?

In Tampa how has Brady, Gronk, Antonio Brown, ect worked out.

Teams buy championships or over the hump all of the time by buying players.

Heck Belichick bought Gilmore from Buffalo and he came the best defender in football.

Stop being so scared to get good football players outside of the draft.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How did Jaylon Smith work out?

How did Marion Barber work out?

In Tampa how has Brady, Gronk, Antonio Brown, ect worked out.

Teams buy championships or over the hump all of the time by buying players.

Heck Belichick bought Gilmore from Buffalo and he came the best defender in football.

Stop being so scared to get good football players outside of the draft.
Great point.
Also, they have shown what they are capable of at the NFL level, unlike draft picks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is not hard you want the players BB WANTS TO KEEP not the ones he is done with....

He wanted to keep Gilmore. They couldn’t get a deal done. Gilmore pretty much was done with them.

Why would an elite aging vet want to play for Belichick on a losing team? Why would you put yourself through that?

You want to go to a franchise that has a good team, pays a lot, and doesn’t work you like you’re in the military. Kinda like Dallas.