Signing Stephon Gilmore could have been our Charles Haley moment!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Great point.
Also, they have shown what they are capable of at the NFL level, unlike draft picks.

Broncos bought a Super Bowl, Rams bought a team that got to the Super Bowl, Chiefs bought a defense, and we know what the Bucs did.

Sometimes you have to take a chance to get over the top. How many times has Belichick paid for elite defenders?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like our young D, but right now it is no where near the Defense Haley played on.

I was hoping Gilmore could be a piece added to help it get to that level.

We’ll never have a great defense. We can be really good but NFL has designed a league where everyone plays bad defense.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Broncos bought a Super Bowl, Rams bought a team that got to the Super Bowl, Chiefs bought a defense, and we know what the Bucs did.

Sometimes you have to take a chance to get over the top. How many times has Belichick paid for elite defenders?
Agree 100%!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Absolutely correct.
And add that Joseph will be able to come in and actually play after the bye week. A much cheaper younger guy who can come in and at worst replace Canaday or at best become the #2 guy this year and into the future.
Joseph hasn’t shown much. We know Brown is below average. These are reasons I wanted to rent Gilmore for this year at a reasonable price or even over pay a little.

rambo2

Reaction score
Joseph hasn’t shown much. We know Brown is below average. These are reasons I wanted to rent Gilmore for this year at a reasonable price or even over pay a little.
Joseph is 21 and he has elite speed. He certainly is good enough to play for the Cowboys soon, like in a few weeks.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Joseph is 21 and he has elite speed. He certainly is good enough to play for the Cowboys soon, like in a few weeks.
Joseph has elite speed. So what. Brown has elite speed to.

Did you see the way Brown ran down the Carolina receiver for a 60 yard gain, after not being able to cover him, and not being able to tackle him.

Speed is important for a CB, but elite speed does not make you an NFL CB!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
Joseph has elite speed. So what. Brown has elite speed to.

Did you see the way Brown ran down the Carolina receiver for a 60 yard gain, after not being able to cover him, and not being able to tackle him.

Speed is important for a CB, but elite speed does not make you an NFL CB!!!!
You have no clue about how good Joseph can be and how an acquisition of Gilmore would affect the roster.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Pats covet lock down DB's. Seems fishy that they just cast him out. Start dealing with the Pats on trades and u will get burned.

The Pats have a new stable of good CBs, they are among the best in passer rating against. Even so, the Gilmore release was still about the salary and his unwillingness to renegotiate. And hoodie prefers to get rid of players too early that too late. I wanted them to get Gilmore just as a rental and make a play for this year. The good CBs will kill us with Brown at CB. Hopefully one of the other guys really steps up. Diggs won't see another pass against the top teams until the other side proves capable.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Reasonable price? He wants a big contract, who says he's willing to risk injury unless the team who gets him is willing to give him what he wants? Joseph hasn't played yet but was a 2nd day pick for a reason so don't give up on him yet. Brown is atleast average. He has as many pass breakups as Byron Jones, heyward I think is his name that held out for more money. He may not be shut down but certainly playing at or above his pay.

kskboys

Reaction score
This team, this year, has the talent and the coaching to compete for a Super Bowl title!

I would have taken the risk( financial, is he recovered from his injury, etc. ) and signed Gilmore. Gilmore was a top 3 corner when healthy. Pairing Gilmore and Diggs at the corners would have given Quinn, SO many options. Our pass D and run D would have immediately improved!!!

The Gilmore move would have made our major weakness, our 2nd corner, a STRENGTH!!

I am not saying we can’t win a Super Bowl without Gilmore, I think we can, but Brown needs to improve a lot, or 1 of our young corners, need to step up their game and take the job from Brown.

Charles Haley put Dallas on top in the 90’s. Would Gilmore have done the same thing for the 2021 team?

I wish Jerry would have made the move for Gilmore. Do you?
Haley was old and overpriced?

kskboys

Reaction score
Pats covet lock down DB's. Seems fishy that they just cast him out. Start dealing with the Pats on trades and u will get burned.
He's not lockdown at 31 coming off an injury.

Why do you guys not pay attention to this stuff? Most CB's are done around 31.

jnday

Reaction score
Letting one of your own players that is unperforming sends a message to the locker room that can pull players together

Bringing in a 31 year disgruntled player that feels he's vastly underpaid and throwing him in with a young defense has potential to disrupt the chemistry.

I agree he would be an upgrade over brown but I want to see the players continue to come together and devlop...and none of this matters bc we couldn't afford him anyways.
You haven’t paid attention to the salary cap experts on this board. The Cowboys can sign any free agent that they want. Dak’s contract , or any of the other overpaid players with big contracts , does not limit the team in any way if they choose to sign Gilmore. Gilmore could step in and impact the team totally opposite of the way you are predicting. A strong veteran presence from a player like Gilmore could have a big impact on the younger players that could see Gilmore as a mentor. I hope that Jerry doesn’t waste his time signing Gilmore though.

Last edited: