Signing Stephon Gilmore could have been our Charles Haley moment!

Big_D

Reaction score
You’re still looking at a young team that needs time with development and evaluation. If a Haley type of moment does happen, I’ll expect that possibly next season and that guy will be younger than Gilmore.. and not necessarily a corner. Could be a number of things. But as the team improves and the cap situation improves, I expect them to turn the FA and trade activity up a notch. Plus I want to see Joseph healthy and getting legit reps.

Jipper

Reaction score
You haven’t paid attention to the salary cap experts on this board. The Cowboys can sign any free agent that they want. Dak’s contract , or any of the other overpaid players with big contracts , does not limit the team in any way if they choose to sign Gilmore. Gilmore could step in and impact the team totally opposite of the way you are predicting. A strong veteran presence from a player like Gilmore could have a big impact on the younger players that could see Gilmore as a mentor. I hope that Jerry never wastes his time signing Gilmore. I just wanted you to see the other side of the argument.

First I appreciate you and what you are trying to do in challenging me to view the other side of the equation; which I have.

I have read what they said but the Cowboys currently have 4.5 mil in cap space and if I remember correctly Gilmore’s salary is 7 mil….so I can do the math

And what makes you think the younger players are just going to see him as a “mentor”? He’s trying to take their jobs…..maybe we see it that way but I don’t think they do.

bottom line is he’s a 32 yo injured very good player that wants to be paid double what he is currently….at the end of the day a bad idea to bring into the locker room

kskboys

Reaction score
First I appreciate you and what you are trying to do in challenging me to view the other side of the equation; which I have.

I have read what they said but the Cowboys currently have 4.5 mil in cap space and if I remember correctly Gilmore’s salary is 7 mil….so I can do the math

And what makes you think the younger players are just going to see him as a “mentor”? He’s trying to take their jobs…..maybe we see it that way but I don’t think they do.

bottom line is he’s a 32 yo injured very good player that wants to be paid double what he is currently….at the end of the day a bad idea to bring into the locker room
And it's highly questionable if he's still very good.

jnday

Reaction score
Broncos bought a Super Bowl, Rams bought a team that got to the Super Bowl, Chiefs bought a defense, and we know what the Bucs did.

Sometimes you have to take a chance to get over the top. How many times has Belichick paid for elite defenders?
Somebody needs to teach Jerry the hows and wheres of buying a Super Bowl. He shops at Walmart , while these other teams are shopping at Macy’s.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish I would have accepted a ride home from my super hot, fresh out of the Air Force 12th grade government studies blonde haired teacher my high school senior year...many, many, many moons ago...:confused::mad:o_O

Oh well.:(

Oh, uhhh, what were we talking about? :D

Someone accepted the ride and probably is now searching for an exit strategy that he doesn't have to give her half his stuff.

jnday

Reaction score

I have no desire to see him in a Cowboy’s uniform. I don’t see it as a stretch that some of these kids could look up to him and even idolize him to a certain point. I think there is a zero chance of him coming to Dallas. I want you and the other posters that reads this post remember it. Within the last month, there was a thread about the salary cap and how it does not limit Dallas from signing big money free agents. There are several experts here that insulted other posters for even mentioning that the cap limits the team’s ability to sign free agents and even the team’s own players. I think the salary cap would not exist if it didn’t limit teams from hoarding talent and buying championships.

Jipper

Reaction score
I have no desire to see him in a Cowboy’s uniform. I don’t see it as a stretch that some of these kids could look up to him and even idolize him to a certain point. I think there is a zero chance of him coming to Dallas. I want you and the other posters that reads this post remember it. Within the last month, there was a thread about the salary cap and how it does not limit Dallas from signing big money free agents. There are several experts here that insulted other posters for even mentioning that the cap limits the team’s ability to sign free agents and even the team’s own players. I think the salary cap would not exist if it didn’t limit teams from hoarding talent and buying championships.

I get it dude and I'm a numbers guy which is why I referenced the salary implications in my post...it's not monopoly money but many still view it like franchise mode in madden.

We're on the same page buddy

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I agree in general a DE like Charles Haley is more of a difference maker than a top corner, but Brown is so inconsistent, I think a healthy Gilmore would have made a huge difference for this D. Regarding Gilmore’s age. He’s a hard worker with pride. I think he has a couple good years left.
Fair enough. I still don't think Brown is as bad as a lot of people on here say he is. But, that's o.k. we all don't have to agree. What I also don't know is if Gilmore TRULY any better at this point in his career and coming off of an injury. CB is one position where when it starts to go downhill, it happens fast and there's no return. See Revis, Norman, etc.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wish Jerry would have made the move for Gilmore. Do you?

No.

We invested 2 2nds and 1 3rd in the last 2 drafts on CBs. We also have two vets signed to mid range contracts.

If we wanted to improve the team with a splash signing, it should have been at DT, where there is a real need. We hit on all cheapo S signings. Diggs looks like an All Pro and we have investments at CB. LB is looking good and is a declining position. DE is good. DT was and still is our relative weakness.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Somebody needs to teach Jerry the hows and wheres of buying a Super Bowl. He shops at Walmart , while these other teams are shopping at Macy’s.

The free agent shopping and the drafting went well this year. When we have gobs of money after signing our own quality players, then I'll start thinking about burning cash at the top end of the general free agent market.

I think the bigger problem is paying too much for some of our own. Even a revitalized Zeke this year isn't worth the money he's getting. That production could have been replaced much more cheaply.

There's a relationship between the two. Too many overpriced return players mean we don't have the cap to make a splash with players from other teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
Last thing we need is some overpriced over the hill vet whining and moaning about his contract. Especially after agreeing to a 5 year, 65 mil contract. What a loser.

NotForLong

Reaction score
This. It's true we are creating turnovers, and that's great. But we routinely give up big yardage plays, especially 3rd and forever plays as easy as it comes.
Cowboys are giving up the most 20+ yd completions in the NFL

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think Gilmore wanted to go home. He grew up like 30 minutes from the Carolina Stadium
Granted, on the South Carolina side. He'll have to pay double state income taxes since he is a resident of SC and plays in NC. Haha.

Granted, Aaron Rodgers is a resident of California (13.3% income tax at his tax bracket, taxable for his entire income) and plays home games in Wisconsin (7.7% income tax at his tax bracket, taxable for home games in WI only), so he indeed pays a LOT of taxes on top of his IRS federal tax. But he's rich ** so it doesn't matter I guess lol.

jnday

Reaction score
I get it dude and I'm a numbers guy which is why I referenced the salary implications in my post...it's not monopoly money but many still view it like franchise mode in madden.

We're on the same page buddy
Yes we are and it’s fun to toss around the different views that comes with these situations.