Signs this team is a contender

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Oct 24, 2021.

1. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

27,274 Messages
    33,237 Likes Received
    for me its 3 things.
    •the way this offense can dominate a game thru the air if you want...or on the ground.
    •the way this defense is generating turn-overs.
    and you just never know when...but you know at some point it's gonna happen.
    •this team just finds a way to navigate thru the trash...figure it out...and find a way to win.
    more than anything...that is the trait thats different with this team.
    they are finding a way to win.

2. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

6,345 Messages
    6,541 Likes Received
    .. I think MM has the team right where they need to be. Post game locker room hightlight was him saying, "These are the type of games you need to win". Dont know if JG ever said that.

817Gill, Bobhaze and fivetwos like this.
  3. johneric8

johneric8 Well-Known Member

1,919 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    He wasn't good in 2020, but one would have imagine that being a new head coach and dealing with a new team and pandemic
    would be difficult for any coach. It seems to me that the kind of coach Big Mike is, he likes to get every player involved in helping the
    team and I can imagine that would of been very hard last year. The injuries we had last year we're also uncanny, and I don't think
    anyone could of done much better considering the circumstances.

I'm sure you remember that anytime you watched a Green Bay game when he was the coach they always seemed ready and many times
    played well outside of their talent pool. he always seemed to find ways to compete and win most seasons, I always hated playing him
    because he always out coached us... I know he had Arod, and that helps, but he has a great history of helping average Qb's play well.

4. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

11,341 Messages
    13,717 Likes Received
    Ha....Garrett said the same handful of things no matter what happened. There's gotta be a string sticking out of his back. After a while it falls on deaf ears or dismissed an disingenuous.

Heckuvan effort.

Keep working hard.

I've managed to forget the others.

5. johneric8

johneric8 Well-Known Member

1,919 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    I watch every game and study the outcomes and in no way shape or form did Garret ever have a team playing together like this. What Mike does is put others in positions to succeed which is huge! With Garrett it was the opposite, he would micro manage coaches and yield his influence on them. Just look at how much he interfered with Kellen Moore, it was obvious.

One of the job's of a head coach is creating a culture of winning, and the players have to buy in. This is something that Mike is doing around here and it's glaringly obvious.

6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

60,238 Messages
    67,338 Likes Received

I mean this year isn’t a lot different that 2014 and 2016.

If being hands off with the coordinators is something that you think speaks to his greatness than by all means think that but I think it’s just more proof how less McCarthy is better for Dallas.

If Jerry has to pick between Kellen Moore and McCarthy this off-season I don’t see how he doesn’t send McCarthy straight back to Wisconsin. GB hasn’t missed a beat since he left and I doubt we would either.

7. CowboyFrog

CowboyFrog Well-Known Member

3,507 Messages
    3,292 Likes Received

I mean we are getting pressure and they have been able to lock down leads this year....not great but certainly not complete garbage.

8. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

14,098 Messages
    10,581 Likes Received
    If we could just clean some basics up like bonehead 4th down calls we could do even better!

9. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

11,839 Messages
    10,061 Likes Received
    Absolutely! Some teams become totally different as the season wears on.

One thing to think about as far as Super Bowl is concerned. Just over 50% of the SBs featured at least one team that didn't make the playoffs the year prior. In fact, five of the last ten SBs had a team in there that didn't make the playoffs the year before. Hopefully Dallas is that team this year.

10. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    30,659 Messages
    30,359 Likes Received
    Bobby breaking it down. Great post.

Bobhaze likes this.
  11. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    30,659 Messages
    30,359 Likes Received
    One think he said over and over again which made my stomach turn every time he said it; “We’ll look at what we did wrong and fix it.” After 5 years of that I just wanted to smack him.

Bobhaze and fivetwos like this.
  12. Batman1980

Batman1980 Well-Known Member

7,132 Messages
    10,443 Likes Received
    It's a process.

Bobhaze likes this.
  13. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod "We Are Penn State"

30,213 Messages
    74,768 Likes Received
    [​IMG]
    :omg:

Bobhaze likes this.
  14. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

40,383 Messages
    23,862 Likes Received
    Love all of this Super Bowl talk in October. What could go wrong. Lol

Bobhaze likes this.
  15. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    9,884 Messages
    32,347 Likes Received
    Right. It’s a long season, no doubt. But Greggo you have to admit that this team so far- just 35% into the season looks different. Doesn’t mean anything yet of course. But fans here have a good reason to be excited.

16. Diehardblues

40,383 Messages
    23,862 Likes Received
    Of course but it’s not experienced like the Rams or the Packers /Rodgers and Tampa/ Brady in the playoffs.

Running it up on losing record teams we’ve done before. So far we’ve had two test. First one Bucs turnovers kept us in the game. And Chargers mistakes cost them.

We may only face 2 or 3 more playoff teams this year. That might give us a better barometer on how it could go in playoffs. But last couple times we rolled in regular season on the way to disappointing divisional round playoff losses was when we had easier schedule following a 2nd or 3rd place finish from previous season.

Our fanbase is so desperate. And yes it looks different . But doesn’t mean we’re better than Tampa, GB, LA or even AZ who I’m not totally sold on either yet.

We’re setting ourselves up for a bitter disappointment with a team that’s missed the playoffs 3 out of last 4 years. The good news is we appear headed in a better direction. We’ll see how in unfolds in late January.

17. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    9,884 Messages
    32,347 Likes Received
    Maybe. Maybe not. None of us know Greggo. That’s part of the fun. We all know so much less than we think because it’s the NFL.

18. willia451

willia451 Well-Known Member

2,912 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    We won't "contend" for anything unless we beat Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Until that happens, the Cowboys will always be considered second tier.

Diehardblues and Bobhaze like this.
  19. Diehardblues

40,383 Messages
    23,862 Likes Received
    I base my thoughts on recent history and trends. Which is usually a more proven course than the unknown .

Until this team establishes that next level of history I’ll be more inclined to favor those with stronger history.

We can enjoy the ride without extending those expectations which set us up for disappointment. Right now our only expectation should be making the playoffs. Anything beyond that is merely hopeful thinking we could better than the others with more proven history.

In our glory years had much confidence because we had been there and proven to be a serious contender. We haven’t proven that yet. Not when it counts the most.

20. Diehardblues

40,383 Messages
    23,862 Likes Received
    Right. You have to beat the proven contenders to become more serious contenders.