Since it is Halloween, list your fave Horror movies

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Throw out your fave Horror movies.

I hope I read some that I've never seen, or heard of before!!!

Me? Here's a few:
Phantasm
The Color Out of Space
Night of the Demon
The Thing (the 1st 2 iterations)
Suspiria
Evil Dead
Fright Night
In the Mouth of Madness
Ghoulies
House
Near Dark
Possession
Repulsion
The Abominable Dr Phibes
The Gate
The Tingler
Troll Hunter
The Whisperer In Darkness
Videodrome
Nosferatu the Vampyre
Cat O' Nine Tails
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
The Keep

And that's not digging into the true classics like Omen, Exorcist. Shining, Rosemary's Baby, etc...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been watching horror films since the late 60's... Had a terrific beta collection of movies, then a terrific collection of VHS movies and now a big collection of DVD's. On top of that I subscribe to Shudder and would rather watch a horror film over any other genre.

Here's my best of the best:

"Dawn of the Dead" the 1978 version. Flat-out the best zombie film of all-time IMO. The level of gore for 1978 was stunning. It moved the bar as far as what and how much gore was being shown in movies. But the movie was more than gore it had a great story combined with interesting characters topped with George Romero's bent towards making a social statement. The placement of most of the movie in a mall was brilliant. Today we may not realize how powerful that was, being that malls are dying out, but in 1978... Malls were at the height of their impact on society. Did I mention how great the gore was? Finally... the first 15 minutes of the movie isn't just a great horror movie beginning, it's a great movie beginning period.

"Halloween" again the 1978 version. Absolutely love this film. It doesn't have the biggest body count or the most gore– As a matter of fact most of the kills are rather tame by today's (or even the original "Dawn of the Dead's" standard). But the story is so incredibly simple and powerful. It affected me so powerfully because it reminded me of our "trick or treat" nights in the 70's. The characters were great and I became smitten with Jamie Lee Curtis ever since. :) On top of all that the soundtrack was brilliant– John Carpenter is brilliant in so many ways.. The theme became an instant classic.

"The Thing". Another John Carpenter created classic. The special affects even today are amazing. The desolate setting helped make the film. Kurt Russell was great, as were many of the actors. Loved the story about a shape-shifting alien. The "tour" by McCready and Doc through the destroyed and abandon Norwegian camp had brilliant atmosphere. While "Dawn of the Dead" and "Halloween" were recognized as terrific films when they were released, "The Thing" was treated by critics and movie goers as a "red-headed step child". I was one of the few that ventured to the theater to see it. Today, "The Thing" is recognized as a classic and deservedly so.

"The Shining". My gosh I've watched this film so many times, and I'm still left in awe on how great this film is. There are so many interesting tidbits to this film... Of which folks are still debating to this day. It's one of the few Stephen King books where the movie adaption was better, which seems funny because Stephen King dislikes Kubrick's version. The actors? Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance is of the all-time great acting jobs no matter the genre. The "Overlook" hotel location was brilliant and served as another strong "character" in the movie. The ending of the movie is one of the all-time best.

"Godzilla King of the Monsters". While Godzilla turned into a comic-book style hero in the late 60's & 70's, the first movie, made in 1954 is mind-blowing. And to think where Japan was after WWII to come up with the story of Godzilla and pull off a movie like this– Can't give them enough credit. If someone had to watch one kaiju movie this one should be it. The Japanese version with subtitles is a tighter production than the Americanized version with Raymond Burr. What makes this Godzilla movie stand out is that it truly is scary.

There you go... My all-time top 5.

Hardline

Reaction score
I just recently watched Susperia.
Great movie and I love the soundtrack.

GMO415

Reaction score
1-10.gif

tumblr_n3flkkxtR61qedb29o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

latest

84774630.gif

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
•Frankenstein...Karlof's classic.
•Dracula...Lagosi's genius.
•Dracula...spanish version...filmed on same set as the Lagosi film...on the same day,except at night which added something special.
•Wolfman
•The Mummy...Karlof.
•Bride of Frankenstein
•Body Snatchers...Karlof and Lagosi.
•Day The Earth Stood Still...50s classic.
•Earth vs The Flying Saucers
•The Thing from another world
•Creature From The Black Lagoon

rynochop

Reaction score
The Shining creeps me out to this day, just because the thought of living in a vacant hotel is creepy to me, haunted or not.
As for recent, the insidious movies are pretty good

RodeoJake

Reaction score
•Frankenstein...Karlof's classic.
•Dracula...Lagosi's genius.
•Dracula...spanish version...filmed on same set as the Lagosi film...on the same day,except at night which added something special.
•Wolfman
•The Mummy...Karlof.
•Bride of Frankenstein
•Body Snatchers...Karlof and Lagosi.
•Day The Earth Stood Still...50s classic.
•Earth vs The Flying Saucers
•The Thing from another world
•Creature From The Black Lagoon

Add Dracula's Daughter and Son of Frankenstein

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
MV5BZDA4MzIxY2EtYzQxMy00MmJkLWI1ODktNzFjMDM0Yzg4YjhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I actually really liked it when it came out as a kid lol

Real Horror Movies:

The Conjuring 1/2
Babadook
Child's Play
Scream series
The Ring
Children of the Corn
The Cell (movie is messed up in a good way)
Texas Chainsaw (remake with R. Lee Ermey)
The Wolfman (1940s on beta)

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way back’s
Dracula
Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Thing
Creature from the Black Lagoon
House of Wax

Later
Halloween
Scream
Nightmare on Elm Street
Jeeper Creepers
The Thing
The Conjuring
The Reaping
The Relic
The Exorcist
It

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way back’s
Dracula
Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Thing
Creature from the Black Lagoon
House of Wax

Later
Halloween
Scream
Nightmare on Elm Street
Jeeper Creepers
The Thing
The Conjuring
The Reaping
The Relic
The Exorcist
It

"The Relic" is a very good movie. Don't hear a lot about it today, but combined a good story with some decent frights and very good special affects.

Have posted about "Jeepers Creepers" before... Maybe the best first 45-minutes of any horror film. The last half of the film robs it from being a classic, but still a very good film.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MV5BZDA4MzIxY2EtYzQxMy00MmJkLWI1ODktNzFjMDM0Yzg4YjhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I actually really liked it when it came out as a kid lol

Real Horror Movies:

The Conjuring 1/2
Babadook
Child's Play
Scream series
The Ring
Children of the Corn
The Cell (movie is messed up in a good way)
Texas Chainsaw (remake with R. Lee Ermey)
The Wolfman (1940s on beta)

Both of the "Texas Chainsaw" entries with R. Lee Ermey are excellent. He makes those movies.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Both of the "Texas Chainsaw" entries with R. Lee Ermey are excellent. He makes those movies.
Oh, I didn't realize he did two of them but agree that he adds even more of an element than Tommy in the basement even as dark as that is. The way he can go from a 1 to a 10 and uses every curse/profanity with such precision. Remember we joked that JG didn't know how to cuss, just likes to use f bombs. Ermey could cuss you up for 10 minutes straight and you wouldn't feel one wasted word.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I didn't realize he did two of them but agree that he adds even more of an element than Tommy in the basement even as dark as that is. The way he can go from a 1 to a 10 and uses every curse/profanity with such precision. Remember we joked that JG didn't know how to cuss, just likes to use f bombs. Ermey could cuss you up for 10 minutes straight and you wouldn't feel one wasted word.

Yeah, they did a prequel the version of "TCM" that he was in. In the prequel they showed how Leatherface became leatherface and how he became the sheriff.

R. Lee used profanity like an artist... I could have watched him hand out parking tickets for two-hours and have enjoyed every moment.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Not a movie but will be watching American Horror Story tonight...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Relic" is a very good movie. Don't hear a lot about it today, but combined a good story with some decent frights and very good special affects.

Have posted about "Jeepers Creepers" before... Maybe the best first 45-minutes of any horror film. The last half of the film robs it from being a classic, but still a very good film.
“The Relic” is a top 5 for me and a must watch at least every 3 months. Almost perfect and the score was dead on. The book was very good as well and even more graphic.

The only thing that kept “Jeepers Creepers” out of my top 10 was the easy way out in not explaining the origin and lore of the Creeper. Part of the magic of horror to me is the back story, what made the monster the monster. I want to believe and am an easy sale but they gotta at least try to sell me.

nobody

Reaction score
There are just way too many to list. It depends on the mood really. There have been a ton of greats listed already. Anything Lovecraft inspired is usually entertaining. The classic monsters are entertaining. Event Horizon wasn't listed yet, but I like it.

As cheesy as it was, as a kid the TV version of Salem's Lot freaked me out...especially the younger brother scratching at the window....so that one holds a fond place in my heart. I'm not sure I have an absolute favorite.