Since the score was 34-24 with time running out, kicking a FG was weird

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Highly doubtful.
The key point I made here is "too much".
As in too much simulation makes one lose touch with reality.

Take another sip, Hen... lol
Its all percentages. Onside kick is already a low percentage. Scoring a td in 1:30 with no timeouts is also a low % from around midfield. We were at the redzone and it was 4th and 5. Go for TD its already a stretch even if you make the FG

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Which...I thought they should have kicked the FG before the 2 minute warning...and still kicked off. You had the 1 time out and the 2 minute warning to work with. Still...your counting on your kicker to make a FG...which we all know now...he can't kick...So I guess it doesn't matter now. But that's how I thought we should have played it out. Leave it to the NFL to kill the onside kick. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. It was imperative to score before the 2 minute warning unless we wanted to count on an inside kick.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Packers went up 31-3 and coasted after that. The game wasn't as close as the score indicates. A FG is the least of our problems.

Final score looks pretty respectable right? Thats what Garret does best. He is the ultimate garbage time coach. Did the same thing in the playoff game against the packers in 2016 as we spotted GB a 21-0 lead. Its what he did at the end of the 2017 season when we won a meaningless game in philly to finish at that all important 9 win mark rather than a 4th 8-8 season on his resume. Great for him but it screwed the team out of 6 draft slots playing our starters against philly's scrubs. He made a terrible season look respectable.

It is how he landed this job in 2010. He took a lost season and ended it 5-3. Thus earning the job and screwing us out of a much needed premium draft pick. This is what Jason is best at doing. His teams pad stats, rack up meaningless yards, and points when it matters the least. ..........and it fools jerry every time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well that's my point, since there was a likely chance of needing a onside kick I dont know why a FG was even a option.

It didn't matter whether we scored a FG or a TD. We still needed the onside kick recovery. There was no time for a defensive stand.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach

Because you need 10 points to tie. 3 points should have been easy part. Hard part is getting the ball back an onside kick recovery attempt coming up.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Its all percentages. Onside kick is already a low percentage. Scoring a td in 1:30 with no timeouts is also a low % from around midfield. We were at the redzone and it was 4th and 5. Go for TD its already a stretch even if you make the FG

Unless the offense scores a TD on 4th and 5, the clock gets eaten up.
It's likely that, if they get the first, the clock will still be running. Unless,
they call the perfect play against the right defense to get the 1st AND
stop the clock.

Odds are, even if you score, you'll only have time for one hail mary play.

Or, you MAKE the FG and have time for a few plays to get the TD.

Either way, you need the onside kick. Which, now more than ever, is low percentage anyway.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Final score looks pretty respectable right? Thats what Garret does best. He is the ultimate garbage time coach. Did the same thing in the playoff game against the packers in 2016 as we spotted GB a 21-0 lead. Its what he did at the end of the 2017 season when we won a meaningless game in philly to finish at that all important 9 win mark rather than a 4th 8-8 season on his resume. Great for him but it screwed the team out of 6 draft slots playing our starters against philly's scrubs. He made a terrible season look respectable.

It is how he landed this job in 2010. He took a lost season and ended it 5-3. Thus earning the job and screwing us out of a much needed premium draft pick. This is what Jason is best at doing. His teams pad stats, rack up meaningless yards, and points when it matters the least. ..........and it fools jerry every time.

Garrett is just another puppet and Jerry is the puppet master. Garrett will eventually be the the next scapegoat as well. Jerry isn't fooled one bit.

Some of ya'll need to look higher up the food chain to see who's really in charge. Or you can just keep rambling on with your agendas with Garrett. Carry on. :thumbup:

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnfNA6OmZvpC1FboLev8OhmT7zo9s-QsD-6eMW7Zepk9i41NKs

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
It's the right call there IMO.

You need the 3 anyway so take the easy three points (well not for Maher, LOL) and then try the onsides. I won't fault Garrett there, as almost every coach would do the same thing needing 10 points to tie.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Maher missing 2 FGs indoors at home is as bad as Daks pick in the endzone and Cooper's drop for a pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach
We should've kicked a 42 yard FG w/ 2 1/2 minutes left and a TO. JG played this as if we were going for a tie score.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

I truly hate this coach

Two scores needed.

Is math really this hard?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

I truly hate this coach
Kicking the field goal on 4th down was absolutely the right call. We needed two scores. If we went for it on 4th down and didn’t make it, the game was over. Unfortunately we had a penalty and then missed a chip shot field goal kick. You can’t plan for that. LOL. The entire game was a cluster.

JayFord

Reaction score
You kick a fg in that situation to make it 27-34 and you hope for the onsides kick

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I hate that call. IMO, the only time it makes sense is if your 4th down play isn't a manageable distance.

I like my odds of converting a 4th and 5, getting an o/s kick, and making a FG a lot more than going for a FG first, getting the O/S, then having to go 60 yards instead of 20.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
You kick a fg in that situation to make it 27-34 and you hope for the onsides kick

You think it's easier to drive an extra 35 or 40 yards for the TD on the 2nd score than converting 4th and short?

It's almost always a terrible call to go for the FG in a scenario like today.