Single Wing Suggestion

JFlgn

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you saw what Jimmy Johnson had to write about the single wing. He said the Cowboys could run it with our two excellent runningbacks, but that Romo and TO's ego wouldn't let it happen.

First off, Romo doesn't have an ego, and I don't think he'd mind at all sitting for a few plays of a game. TO would be fine with it if Romo got him a TD or two elsewhere in the game.

My question is, what if we ran the single win with Stanback or Crayton. I know Stanback was inactive last week, but he'd be my first option because he's played QB more recently, is more athletic and faster. Stanback as the Ronnie Brown option which would keep the passing option a little bit more open.

Just wondering ya'll's thoughts?

juck

Reaction score
I dont know how this has worked so well but it does.If u think about it with Vick the Falcons ran it everyplay.lol.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Isn't this the reason we drafted converted QB's? Let's get it done!

Romo, Felix, Barber, Witten, TO, and Stanback in the huddle. Break the huddle and Romo splits out wide (decoy). Everyone's payng attention to TO, Felix, and Barber while Stanback hits wide open Witten for a TD.

Sub out Romo for Crayton and now put Crayton and Stanback in the backfield and now the defense isn't even sure where the snap is going.

I love our normal offense and we can score with anyone but this kind of occasional trickery would scare the crap out of teams.

btcutter

Reaction score
Miami runs this gadget play because it's QB isn't very good.

You got a Pro-bowl QB and you want someone else to handle the snap and make decision on run/option/pass? If you want to direct snap to Jones or Barber...ok, I'll buy that.

Did JJ ever run Single wing offense when he had Aikman in his prime? Brady or Manning?? NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Idiots!:bang2: :bang2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't mind a trick play every now and then. If they were to run it in the same fashion as the Dolphins that means that either Marion or Felix would get the direct snap, not Crayton or Stanback.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that Kentucky Fried Chicken would be good for Dinner tonight.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
One thing that maks Tim Tebow so tough to play against is this:

When Tebow gets the ball out of the shotgun and runs north and south, he gets on top of you so fast. His power gets on you quick. There is no handoff.

You could definately snap the ball to Marion Barber out of the shotgun and let him hit it up in their fast. He would get on the defense even faster. Felix could run those great sweeps out of this formation that he ran at Arkansas and be a threat to take the ball on a pitch or handoff to the edge.

I would love it.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we should run some strange formation at least once per game so that it gives the defensive coordinater for the other team something else for him to have to game plan against.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Sorry but Garrett doesn't believe in 'jap plays'. No flea flickers or single wing hogwild mess on this team.

links18

Reaction score
Kilyin;2319355 said:
Sorry but Garrett doesn't believe in 'jap plays'. No flea flickers or single wing hogwild mess on this team.

What about reverse options to Crayton?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kilyin;2319355 said:

I don't know about that. He has run the Crayton reverse, pass. He has lined TO up in the backfield and run him on reverses.

superpunk

Reaction score
In general you run plays like that when you think your team needs a boost or is not good enough (particularly at QB) to beat the opponent straight up pro-style. We might see it once or twice, but I sincerely doubt it becomes an offensive staple.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A lot of football is game planning and getting the other guys to guess. Hopefully they are guessing wrong. I am by no means saying we should run a ton of these plays but we have the players to occasionally throw something out there to scare defenses.

If we come out of a time out and show the defense something they've never seen before than we have the advantage. I have a hard time believing Jason Garrett is unwilling to throw in a surprise or trick play.

Romo is a pretty good athlete and I'd bet he'd be willing to run a pass pattern just for the heck of it. Crayton and Stanback both have strong arms. TO, Felix, and Stanback all have blazing speed and off-the-charts athleticism. Witten and Barber are pure football-types. If we aren't trying to utilize every bit of these talents than what the hell are we doing out there. One or two plays a game. Don't forget who our owner is and how much he enjoys seeing himself and the Cowboys on TV. I'd be surprised if we don't see something soon.

MONT17

Reaction score
Romo thinks motivation is for players under the age of 18 cahnces r he thinks the same about an offense they run in highschool! Forget it

Temo

Reaction score
Are we having trouble running the football now or something? The reason we don't run the wildcat (it's not technically the single wing that pop warner is famous for inventing) is because there's only so much you can install in the offense.

Plus, that offense requires perfect blocking assignments by the O-Line, and you'd have to teach it to them first... the Dolphins have 2 guys on their coaching staffs who've run the offense before (David Lee and this other guy, forgot his name). The Cowboys don't have anyone.