SI's Round two and three Cowboys picks after Round 1

blueblood70

Reaction score
i sure hope for this place's sake we dont take another reach project at 2..i might not visit for a week or two,

John813

Reaction score
Dallas took Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round years before Witten retired. What else do the current Cowboys have besides Schultz?

If they do go TE let's hope it turns out better than Escobar. :facepalm:

True, but wasn't the team still running a 12 personnel package at a higher clip then?
Going off memory we took Gavin 1 year after Bennett left in free agency. It was Witten Hanna and Phillips in 12.
Hanna was an excellent blocker.
While it's still in the playbook they seem to run the 11 heavily under Moore.

The Cowboys play their best football in 12 personnel. They need two tight ends.
Honestly, I'm forgetting most of last season already and too lazy too look up splits.
I do recall some stat referencing that, but curious on the amount of snaps/games where we actually had a healthy Jarwin/Schultz pairing.

Not saying I don't want to draft a TE, just think if the team is high on keeping Schultz I wonder if they wait till day 3/UDFA.
I don't expect much out of McKeon till he shows something but it seems like when they have a set starter they just use day 3/ UDFA to find a diamond in the rough for the #2TE. At least since the Escobar flop.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see Williams lasting until the 3rd, but if he is your guy, you take him. And I think he is Dallas's guy

I don’t see him getting to pick 88. Like you said, if he’s your guy, take him. Don’t get cute and risk losing him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think they had much if any contact with Dulcich. They guys they did, Ruckert, Woods, Otton, all seem like 3rd rounders. Ive seen Ruckert in the 2nd and Otton 4th, but typically they all go round 3

I would risk Woods being there in round 3 before I would Williams. If they miss out, I like other options better at TE than I do EDGE.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t see him getting to pick 88. Like you said, if he’s your guy, take him. Don’t get cute and risk losing him.
He is a wreck as a run defender, but he is lethal as a pass rusher. But they have enough rotational DE's that he doesnt need to be on the field on run downs

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would risk Woods being there in round 3 before I would Williams. If they miss out, I like other options better at TE than I do EDGE.
Same here. I like Woods the most because we arent going to be reliant on a rookie TE in 2023. I dont think we can punt on the position, but Shultz was a day 3 pick and there will still be good TE's to develop on day 3 if we cant get one on day 2

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a wreck as a run defender, but he is lethal as a pass rusher. But they have enough rotational DE's that he doesnt need to be on the field on run downs

Exactly. They can rotate guys based on down and distance. Quinn does that by design anyway.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly. They can rotate guys based on down and distance. Quinn does that by design anyway.
Probably our best DL play since 2009 was in 2018 when Crawford was a nominal starter at RDE with Gregory playing exclusively on passing downs. That type of rotation can work

Gaede

Reaction score
Could they land Cameron Jurgens?

I would feel a lot better about passing on Linderbaum if we picked up Jurgens in 3 or 4. That said, we have so many other priorities, can't really justify it, unless we somehow land another 2 or 3

baltcowboy

Reaction score
True, but wasn't the team still running a 12 personnel package at a higher clip then?
Going off memory we took Gavin 1 year after Bennett left in free agency. It was Witten Hanna and Phillips in 12.
Hanna was an excellent blocker.
While it's still in the playbook they seem to run the 11 heavily under Moore.

Honestly, I'm forgetting most of last season already and too lazy too look up splits.
I do recall some stat referencing that, but curious on the amount of snaps/games where we actually had a healthy Jarwin/Schultz pairing.

Not saying I don't want to draft a TE, just think if the team is high on keeping Schultz I wonder if they wait till day 3/UDFA.
I don't expect much out of McKeon till he shows something but it seems like when they have a set starter they just use day 3/ UDFA to find a diamond in the rough for the #2TE. At least since the Escobar flop.
The 12 personnel hides the Cowboys tendencies. Teams had problems figuring out if the Cowboys would run or pass. Five games stood out me. Tampa, Chargers,Carolina, Giants, and the Patriots had no answers for our offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would feel a lot better about passing on Linderbaum if we picked up Jurgens in 3 or 4. That said, we have so many other priorities, can't really justify it, unless we somehow land another 2 or 3

I expect Jurgens to be drafted in round 2.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
All I know is like every year a guy will fall to Dallas who Dallas will simply not choose no matter how many rounds he falls to Dallas and people will be up in arms.
Happens every year.
I think last year it was Trevon Moehrig. Although the Raiders grabbed him one spot ahead of us in a trade up, many posters wanted us to go up and get him. Chazz Surratt was another one.
In 2020, it was Marvin Wilson.
In 2019, it was Juan Thornhill.