Skip: "I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’ve always respected people more for being open about their true feelings, especially when it’s something that they know other people may perceive as a weakness. Depression is real and is a disease for some people like alcoholism and drug addiction.

All that macho crap is exactly that, it’s either people who have never experienced tragedy, are in denial or are too afraid to admit it publicly for fear of what other people will think or say.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to act despite it.” Desmond Tutu

Kudos to Dak, he acted knowing there would be criticism by the jo’s in this world. That is a leader in my book.

You and I may bicker and go back and forth over a certain RB, but I respect you a lot for your stance and words here brother.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Appalling. That's what is wrong with society. They put too much faith and empowerment into these athletes. They are just humans....nothing more. They are flawed like the rest of us.

What are you talking about, my greatest asset is my humility!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah looks like Skip flubbed the wording on that, he seems to have been trying to say it would be better to bottle that up in light of the position he is in. Now even that is a sentiment that would get a lot of flak too but that wouldnt have sounded as nasty. If he was writing that instead of speaking on tv he would have said it better
One thing for sure, the AMA and APA are going to have him crawfishing because he just tried to set them back in their toughest challenge, getting people to admit they have depression and need to address it. The theory that real men don't suffer from that, the strong silent type always prevails is nothing more than pretending.

I don't think Bayless sees the big picture here. In fact, he's myopic. If you are a player on that team and you see him stepping up to lead the team and you are aware of his struggle with depression, are you more likely to respond to his leadership or less likely? True leaders do not try to present a flawless front.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I hate this thread! F.....! I hate it!!

I came back from Vietnam after the 1968 Tet Offensive. I left being a young athlete in NM, I came back a broken 20 year old man.

I was depressed...I was scared, pissed off at everything...not a nice guy at all, fight anyone that wanted to...drugs, sleepless nights, wanting to go back to the war...I was depressed, way bad. Then I got help...

Just as what I read about what Dak is saying...taking about it to some that will listen, helps. I'm rooting for Dak to come out and tell what depression can do to the mind...respect.

Cowboys on three...COWBOYS...1....2...3

Thank you for your service, and hearing these things goes to show how far we still have to go to get over the stigma of depression in this country. Our Military is the backbone of this country, and we need to do more to battle this, I am so thankful to read you were able to find the help you needed. You got support here anytime you need it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My daughter has manic depression and has battled it hard for nearly two decades. For obvious reasons, I don’t care to go into the personal details of her struggles but I have enormous respect for the courage she has displayed by admitting she has a problem and the work she has done to manage it through medication and therapy. It’s is a lifelong challenge that requires courage, honesty and commitment to live a so called normal life.

The ignorance and heartlessness of so many in our society who misunderstand that clinical depression is not a choice or something a person can just decide to turn off like a faucet. It involves brain chemistry and genetics. For some who have depression, it can be life threatening.

Few if any in our society would mock or scoff at someone with a physical disability that was visible that requires assistance like needing a wheelchair. But too many in our society fail to recognize that Clinical diagnosed depression is a disability that must be treated. We need to stop acting like it’s a cold or that it’s about a “weakness“ someone has. It’s a medical challenge and we need to support and encourage all who face this difficulty.

aria

Reaction score
You and I may bicker and go back and forth over a certain RB, but I respect you a lot for your stance and words here brother.
The feeling is mutual bud, I bicker with a lot of people over a certain RB but putting that aside we have a lot in common, it’s especially true in the “off topic” forums.

Just because we disagree about a certain player doesn’t mean I don’t like a lot of you and I would never prevent that disagreement from liking someone I otherwise have a lot in common with. Feel free to bicker with me in the future, that’s what fans do, no hard feelings. Ask @Corso or @Ranching lol.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The feeling is mutual bud, I bicker with a lot of people over a certain RB but putting that aside we have a lot in common, it’s especially true in the “off topic” forums.

Just because we disagree about a certain player doesn’t mean I don’t like a lot of you and I would never prevent that disagreement from liking someone I otherwise have a lot in common with. Feel free to bicker with me in the future, that’s what fans do, no hard feelings. Ask @Corso or @Ranching lol.

Solid people here @aria @Ranching (Coach!) and @Corso.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I came back from Vietnam after the 1968 Tet Offensive. I left being a young athlete in NM, I came back a broken 20 year old man.

I was depressed...I was scared, pissed off at everything...not a nice guy at all, fight anyone that wanted to...drugs, sleepless nights, wanting to go back to the war...I was depressed, way bad. Then I got help...

Just as what I read about what Dak is saying...taking about it to some that will listen, helps. I'm rooting for Dak to come out and tell what depression can do to the mind...respect.

Glad you were able to find the help you needed and that part I bolded, that's the real troubling part of depression. They can run tests for physical problems and address that but depression is still a real challenge and the best they can do for the seriously clinically depressed is throw drugs at it and when those stop working, try something else. And the drugs treating depression can be as bad as depression. There's nothing as scary as "what's wrong with me" with no real answer. And even when people are diagnosed, the treatment is still hit and miss and too often those doing the treating don't know for sure which it is.

The wiring of the brain and treatments are still so experimental that we herald Prozac as the first line until they discover it can spark homicidal and suicidal thoughts in young people. A drug designed to treat clinical depression that has the side effect of suicidal thoughts is a sign they've got a lot of work to do.

Swagger

Reaction score
People deal with their issues in different ways. Personally I find that going for a run helps. Releases endorphins and assists with my mental well being.

People will have different mechanisms to deal with it and what works for some won't work for everyone.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lol woo boy, what a piece of crap.

"I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

this a-hole has lived off of cowboys for decades now. where there is no news he creates it. and instead of being a human being, instead he takes the low road, to scream and create another controversy. that's why he was fired before and probably he will get fired again. he brings nothing to the table in sports except a national enquirer approach to creating news that doesn't exist

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Skip is a TV character. Period. He's willing to say ridiculous things, be the villain and/or buffoon for the sake of clicks/views. However, today's take is extremely dangerous due to the potential impact it may have on those who watched the show and struggle with depression. Im not sure he will apologize tomorrow but I do believe he'll try to clean up the mess tomorrow. Probably will be forced to do so....
correction. skip is trying to be a TV characer. he fails at that too

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

thank you for your service. sorry to hear what you had to go through.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
He is kinda the strongest QB around if you think about it. Doesn't miss games at all. I imagine he could kick any starting pro QB's anus in a fight, for example of comparison. Who is really going to think of Dak as weak because of what he said?

Skip, on the other hand: "Troy is ___ ", "Dak is weak" ... there's a pattern here. $$

Status
Not open for further replies.