Slot WR vs Passing Receiving "3rd Down" RB

GMO415

Reaction score
If we’re gonna pay Zeke, wed damn sure better not take him off the field, especially on important third downs.
Didn't understand why he wasn't getting the ball in the red zone last season.....

Number1

Reaction score
First of all I don't think Elliot it's the best running back in the league. I think the Giants have the guy Barkley.

Barkley - another reason to draft a ply making DT

as for a slot guy who can play RB ... they mean to play Austin more than is realistic to me ... but he's PR and will play WR, may line at at RB once in a a awhile
probably not a great pass blocker but he can making blitzing a bad idea - yeah like Dunbar

I'd be looking at every player that fits either description of a true back up to Zeke, like with size and power, or a true weapon like Austin, but more stout
draft the best athlete that fits either description, the same in FA ... just be sure they can make plays

do not under estimate the value of a guy like Austin, just 14 touches last year, he averaged 14 yards, including 17.5 per catch

get him 5 touches on 15 or 20 snaps and that's 50 yards ... works out like 800 total O and several TDs on the season. And return yards ... Not that hard to work into a game plan. I really think they want Austin to be that guy.

the problem Austin creates is not obvious, yeah it takes fast people to cover him,
but he's so quick with time to work he still can't be covered, like Beasley, or :) like Cooper
also guys with deep speed and hands like Cooper and Austin and Gallup on team present a major problem
any 2 of the 3 on the field at the same means you have to get to Dak fast
compared to them Wilson is slow, but notice he's faster than Dez or Williams, with better hands, and brains

this is a Dak friendly system and that takes play action deep speed which they went out and got it
get Dak clean through his 2nd read or out of the pocket, and they'll make big plays - speed kills

notice with time to throw it may be best to have your top WR as the 2nd option - may sound crazy but I think Cooper will be used much like Beasley was
IMO, that's a TD machine, just imagine Beasley with Cooper / Austin's s speed over the last 3 seasons

JG and KM intend to play fast and score

Cebrin

Reaction score
He's not really good at anything but reverses and punt returns.

I don't understand how Tavon Austin is such a jag and someone like Tyreek Hill is an elite WR with basically the same skill set.
1 stays on the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question about Zeke being a 3-down back and a damn good one. My point was if we're planning to give him a long-term deal, he can't have over 400+ touches ( similar to DeMarco Murray's final year). Otherwise, you risk wearing him down before his potential $14-15M long-term deal ends. I'm guessing the FO is on the same page coz this first they seem determined to find good quality back-up and not just a body.

BTW..agree 100%, the division is our for the taking.

Yes, people can't grasp the concept that he should not play 100% of the snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course Zeke won’t play 100% of the snaps.

But who would you rather have in a critical 3rd-down situation; the best RB in the league who’s also a very good receiver, OR a designated “3rd Down” RB, whose very presence on the field signals to the opposing D that we’re absolutely gonna pass the ball?

Who do you choose as the backup RB if these are the choices:

Prime Darren Sproles

Prime Rod Smith

jrumann59

Reaction score
Austin is a slot WR, not a RB. With Beasley gone, I'm pretty sure the team sees him in an expanded role.
Austin is not a slot wr. He is gadget back that is too small to play RB, not polished enough to play WR, not durable enough to play here and there. He is jack of all trades a master of none, if he did not have speed he probably would not still be in the NFL.