SNF- What’s the Al Michaels “Over/Under”?

madcow74

Reaction score
you could make a drinking game out of this...

take a drink whenever collinsworth drools over obj

take a drink if collinsworth is still orgasming about Rogers from last week

drink when collinsworth calls barkley a special young talent

drink when either of them mention dallas missing dez, witten or frederick

MarcusRock

Reaction score
OP you mean the Junior catch where he clearly pushed off?

I know we hate it because it happened against us (we did win the game) but let's not revise history. Carr grabbed his jersey and OBJ did a swim move to free himself to grab the ball. Carr was looking back and didn't even see where the ball was so OBJ would have caught it one way or the other. Look at the Carr grab here at :36.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this is mainly a jokey thread but the OBJ catch is not overrated. You can't overrate quite possibly the greatest catch in the history of the game, which it was by my count. You've watched football longer than I have in my nearly 40 years. Have you seen better?
Yes, it is a great catch. The reason I think it’s overrated is what it meant to the game. The giants lost that game.

I can think of lots of great catches in clutch moments that really meant something. Like in a playoff game. Drew Pearson’s “Hail Mary” catch led to a playoff win. Franco Harris’ “Immaculate Reception”- playoff win. Dwight Clark’s “The Catch” won an NFC Championship game. Or how about Santonio Holmes catch to win a SB? Lynn Swan in SB X? And many more.

Yeah, OBJ made a “great” catch. But is it the greatest? Not even top ten IMO.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, it is a great catch. The reason I think it’s overrated is what it meant to the game. The giants lost that game.

I can think of lots of great catches in clutch moments that really meant something. Like in a playoff game. Drew Pearson’s “Hail Mary” catch led to a playoff win. Franco Harris’ “Immaculate Reception”- playoff win. Dwight Clark’s “The Catch” won an NFC Championship game. Or how about Santonio Holmes catch to win a SB? Lynn Swan in SB X? And many more.

Yeah, OBJ made a “great” catch. But is it the greatest? Not even top ten IMO.

I'm talking pure catch irrespective of the situation/setting, etc., not just "important" catches. OBJ's was better than all those playoff catches you mention, none of which came close to this one. Cris Carter made good one-handers in his day but still doesn't compare to this one either.

rynochop

Reaction score
He used to talk about the betting over/under line, I think they put an end to that years ago

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm talking pure catch irrespective of the situation/setting, etc. OBJ's was better than all those playoff catches you mention, none of which came close to this one. Cris Carter made good one-handers in his day but still doesn't compare to this one either.
Yes, “circus catches” are cool. But I’m just not that impressed if it doesn’t lead to winning anything more than personal accolades. Just my opinion.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, “circus catches” are cool. But I’m just not that impressed if it doesn’t lead to winning anything more than personal accolades. Just my opinion.

Got it. So you mean overrated in terms of importance, not pure catch merit. By merit it's clearly one of the best ever.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got it. So you mean overrated in terms of importance, not pure catch merit. By merit it's clearly one of the best ever.
I guess so. I’m just not that impressed with stats or individual “wows” if they don’t lead to winning as a TEAM. In a team sport, what helps the team win matters most is TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT. That’s what makes the OBJ catch a “meh” for me.

I look at it like dunking in basketball. Dunks are very exciting, wow plays. But in the end, if it doesn’t help your team win, I’m not that impressed.

mrmojo

Reaction score
While were on catches, when the he** was the Hail Mary taken away from the Cowboys and given to Aaron Rogers?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
How about showing/mentioning the stadium art pieces and how Gene Jones was behind it. That a guaranteed bet

:cool:

TheHerd

Reaction score
Michaels was AWESOME during the Miracle on ice. To me, he's been going downhill ever since. But for that 2 week period, he was the very best.

WTtoolman

Reaction score
Al and Chris are smooching Barkely's taint the likes which have never been seen!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I know this is mainly a jokey thread but the OBJ catch is not overrated. You can't overrate quite possibly the greatest catch in the history of the game, which it was by my count. You've watched football longer than I have in my nearly 40 years. Have you seen better?

It's hardly the greatest catch in history - I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. There have been numerous catches that were athletic in playoffs/super bowls that are far better in more pressure situation.

Actually, you're giving an example as to why it's considered overrated. Jesus.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It's hardly the greatest catch in history - I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. There have been numerous catches that were athletic in playoffs/super bowls that are far better in more pressure situation.

Actually, you're giving an example as to why it's considered overrated. Jesus.

There were none "far better" in terms of catch merit as far back as I can remember. What you are describing, like Bob in this thread, are more "important" catches not better catches. Name the "far better" catches on the basis of the catch itself, not what time of the year it happened to be.