So I soaked my contacts in Visine overnight

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
because I was out of regular solution. Big mistake. I put them in yesterday morning and my eyes become inflamed. This is my last pair of contacts and my glasses are broken (the left bar extending from the lens is missing. They're wearable, but look goofy). I take a gamble that my tears will clear everything out and go to work. Wrong. I end up having to leave work in less than an hour and have to pull over 3 times because of the pain and blurriness. The pain was so bad yesterday I wanted to vomit several times. I have never experienced pain like that. Long story short I wake up this morning and they haven't healed. I go to the doctor and he gives me eye drops, a cortisone shot, and some Darvoset. They're still hurting and blurry now and I can barely see to type. Moral of the story: Don't do what I did.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Ouch man. I've put lenses in water overnight before and that works alright. Not sure why Visine was so bad.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Wearing contacts seems like a pain in the *** without doing that. I couldn't imagine sticking a finger in my eye. I hear enough people with similar complaints about solutions and gummed up eyes.

My brother in law would sleep with his in for weeks and they ended up damn near fusing to his corneas.

If my sight starts failing, I'll just wear glasses.
Feel better man.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Jon88;2909057 said:
because I was out of regular solution. Big mistake.

Not sure how long you've worn contacts, but the EMPHATIC warning never to use any "regular" eye drops, or any product NOT specifically labeled as safe for contacts, was beaten into my medulla by my Optometrist from the get go.

Hope you get better.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Ozzu;2909063 said:
Ouch man. I've put lenses in water overnight before and that works alright.

That's what I do too. If I'm out, w/o solution, a coffee cup and h2o works like a champ.

I wear gas perm lenses though, so those are a lot more forgiving than the softies I understand.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Soon as I saw the title I knew that was a mistake. There is a reason Visine doesn't sell that solution haha

FloridaRob

Reaction score
should have used toothpaste to clean them. just be sure you rinse them extremenly well.

kmp77

Reaction score
I used to have gas perms from like 9th grade to like 31. At one point I slept in them constantly and screwed up my eyes a bit. They were killing me. Opening my eyes was a pain. Think they just got infected. I think my eyes are still a bit oversensitive to light now because of that and that was YEARS ago :( I've since switched to extended wear. Way more comfortable than gas perms but more expensive. About $50 every 3 months for a new supply.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yeah water works good when your out of solution.
I use 2 week contacts and use them for about 1-1.5 months, sleep in them every night almost.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I love not wearing glasses any more contacts also made sports easier

I did not wear glasses until I was 21 so my vision is not as bad as some in fact I can almost legal drive with out them still not quite but close

I always worn soft since I went to contact I sleep in mine no issues and replace them about every 2 weeks

I changed about a year and a halg ago I switched to the Night & Days because they have a higher % of silicone which allows more oxygen to your eyes

Then Acuvue about two years ago released Oasys which have more silicone than the night and days and allow your eye to breathe better.

My Doctor I used for years specialized in contacts any ways I swear by either bran Night and Days or the Oasys why i say either some people are more comfortable in one over the other.

So my contact life is easier than you think and as much of a pain as contacts can be still better than glasses. The whole I can not stick things in my eye gets easy after you do it a few times. Trust me I was the same way when I first got glasses and wore them for 6 years then i broke down to soft contacts and I broke that barrier in one day and it got easier from there.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ajk23az;2909318 said:
Yeah water works good when your out of solution.
I use 2 week contacts and use them for about 1-1.5 months, sleep in them every night almost.

burn in hell you twins piece of ****!

kmp77

Reaction score
Zaxor;2909344 said:
I usually keep my contacts in outlook

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
best money i ever spent was the eye surgery to not wear glasses
and this was prior to laser surgery...radial keratotomy . 20 years ago

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'd say you are well on your way to recovery if you can read these lines.

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y188/thehoofbite/eyechart.png

adamc91115

Reaction score
To all those sleeping in your soft contacts, let me tell you from experience - Don't do it!

I ended up having to wear glasses for 2 months because my eyes got so swollen and I didn't even know it.

Then a few months down the road I started having trouble even only wearing the contacts for 4-8 hours a day... The swelling apparently never went away completely and changed the size of my eyes. I was wearing contacts that were way too small and ended up depriving my eyes of oxygen. Another 2 months of wearing glasses and 1 small white spot on my cornea, I'm finally wearing the right size contacts again. Luckily, the white spot is on the edge of the cornea and not in my line of vision.

Trust me, its not worth the trouble down the road. Just take your contacts out every night. You can sleep in them every now and then, but if you wear them constantly you're asking for trouble. I was very lucky not to have permanent vision trouble because of it.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
poke;2909350 said:
best money i ever spent was the eye surgery to not wear glasses
and this was prior to laser surgery...radial keratotomy . 20 years ago

I'm thinking about that but it's $4,000.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2909392 said:
I'd say you are well on your way to recovery if you can read these lines.

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y188/thehoofbite/eyechart.png

Pretty funny