So which is the better approach...media shield or publicly outted?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Protect the players publicly, at all costs, ala Wade?

-or-

Straight toss them under the bus, ala Childress?

CHILDRESS THROWS KLUWE UNDER THE BUS
Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2008, 7:40 a.m.

After a night in which Saints running back Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns in a losing effort to the Vikings, Minnesota coach Brad Childress played the “don’t blame me” game . . . by blaming his punter.

“Both of those kicks are supposed to be out of bounds,” Childress said of the two punts that Bush returned for scores, “and when you say to somebody kick the ball out of bounds, that’s what you expect to happen. That’s what I expect to happen with a professional football kicker.”

Bush’s second punt return for a touchdown could have come on the kick sandwiched between his two six-pointers, but once he broke free he tripped and fell.

Asked whether the strong-legged Kluwe can control his punts in that fashion, Childress was blunt. “You know what? If he can’t do that, I’ll find someone that can kick the ball out of bounds.”

Though Kluwe is only the punter, we’re troubled by the coach’s decision to make his displeasure with Kluwe publicly known. The message to the rest of the locker room is clear: “If you screw up, I’m gonna call you out to the press so they won’t call for me to be fired.”

Really, why else would Childress throw Kluwe under the bus for all to see? The words are so stunning because it’s so rare to see a coach lambast a player through the media.

And so as Childress tries not to lose his job, he needs to be careful or he might lose his team.
Granted, it's only the kicker in this case, but what do you want to see from coaches when addressing the media?

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
I like wade's . . . all players are professional adults not high school students, if they make mistakes they know they are to blame regardless of Wade taking the blame.

yentl911

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think due to the sensitivety of some players on our team it may be better to shield them from the media.

Boysboy

Reaction score
The better coaches in this league do NOT publicly out their players.

Really-I haven't seen many of them to begin with. The ones that do often fail.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Typical media.

If you call players out, you're stupid.

If you refuse to call players out, you're stupid.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I like the say nothing through talking alot approach. parcells excelled at that. He just changed the subject and dictated the conversation everyday.

Bellichick does the same, only he says nothing through saying little.

None of it matters. This whole season is on the players. They have been through two entirely different coaching staffs, they have lost playoff games, they have won the toughest division in the league, they have lost divisional games at home and on the road and they have won them in both scenarios also.

There is only one thing left for this team to do. And I for one am not panicked at all. I dont like the play of a few players, but that doesnt matter to me right now. This whole season for the nfc east is what happens from november on. So as long as we dont trip up one of the next three we can get to the important part of the season in good shape.

and I dont think the media or the coaches style is going to matter this year. IF we miss the playoffs or lose in a wild card game then a change should be a considered. But for now it is all on the players.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I wish the players would just play like they are supposed to and not be affected by the media one way or another. Is that too much to ask?