So you want a new QB?

Western

Reaction score
Aikman (Jimmy) & Romo (Parcells/Sean Payton) were non-Jerry decisions.

Take a look at Jerry's evaluation/decisions regarding the QB position over the years:

Jason Garrett, Wade Wilson, Mike Quinn, Anthony Wright, an old Randall Cunningham, Tony Banks, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Matt Moore, Brad Johnson, Richard Bartel, Matt Baker, Rudy Carpenter, Jon Kitna, Stephen McGee, Matt Nicols, Tom Brandstater, Kyle Orton, Alex Tanney, Nick Stephens, Dustin Vaughan, Caleb Hanie, Brandon Weeden, Jameill Showers, Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore, Cooper Rush, Luke McCown and Dak Prescott.

About the only way the team acquires a decent QB (based on Jerry's history) -- absent Jerry removing himself as GM -- is hiring a quality head coach who knows QB development/talent, and keeps Jerry away from player personal decisions.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I ask this..

If not DAK..

then who?

Are you really going to trust this team to find your next QB and actually develop him?

They were unable to get Romo there after nearly 10+ years.

They then failed to have a replacement ready in Weeden who they had for 2 years.

Then the parade of QB in 2015..

NOTHING.

And remember..

we tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch before Denver took him.

We all know what happened to Lynch.

We do not know what we are doing.

Before we solve the QB thing..

we have to redo the consortium of failed QBs masquerading as qualified experts.

Keller Moore has to go as does Linehan and Sanjay.

Since we do not have a #1 draft pick in 2019..

that means 2020 before we hae the pick to use on a QB.replacement.

FA could be an answer.

But again..

I highly doubt we have the staff in place to make that work.

And that means more delays while our OL is rebuilt.

Time will slip away.

Comments?
there are no easy answers as even top 5 QBs fail and fail a lot.. sometimes LUCK is as important as doing your homework..some if the best QBs were just dumb luck ala Brady a 6th round pick, Kurt Warner UDFA, Romo was the best we've had since Troy owns all our records as an UDFA,and do you really think Mahomes when drafted they KNEW hed be like this , heck NO they didnt and still lest see him in 5 yrs.. the start of the season all the talk was about all the rookies playing well, how about now? not so much they all regressed, how about back the first two years with Winston and Mariota talk., wheres that now? even now San Fran has had 3 Qbs this year one overpaid but solid starter is HURT, Beathard played well not great but as good as dak and now Mullins is the talk of the town and might be trade bait but buyer beware of the one year wonders who flop very soon after the big contracts..

NFL QBs are are to hit on when you are talking true franchise generational guys, sometimes you have to settle on a Bortles and Dak type and build around them until you hit on one which IMO is sometimes just luck.

thats why most here may be done with Dak but reality says Dak will at least be here for 2019 and maybe abridge for the next guy by 2021..thats why Jerry is saying he'll get an extension but for how much and how long?

short term is new HC/OC and create a scheme and new direction for Dak, Gallup, and cooper , oline will be fine, Get a blue chip TE and Safety and lest see..

how many College super stars QB were shoe in HOF in the NFL? a lot were flops or average or gone in 5 yrs..Herbert and Tua are NOT guarantees and all this Talk about other FA options are they better then Dak because they simply walk in here? Teddy Bridgewater, really maybe hes a good option to push Dak and MAYBE he offers something better but I saw a solid player who got hurt and missed nearly two seasons and now backup being passed around? come on those are NOT guarantees, none are..

Best hope new OC and HC new schemes and they can use our current talent and turn this around..

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The reality is we're going to have Dak next season, regardless of whether JG is here or not. Unless Jerry trades himself into the first round this year, but I don't see a ton of sexy QB talent available this year to warrant that drastic of a move.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Teddy Bridgewater may be the best option the Cowboys might be able to get.
We might have talked about it before. If I was Jerry, I would trade Dak for Jaimis Winston in the offseason. It would be a PR nightmare but hey it sells tickets.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We might have talked about it before. If I was Jerry, I would trade Dak for Jaimis Winston in the offseason. It would be a PR nightmare but hey it sells tickets.
I would take Winston, too. I just think the price may be too high for him.

Jipper

Reaction score
The reality is we're going to have Dak next season, regardless of whether JG is here or not. Unless Jerry trades himself into the first round this year, but I don't see a ton of sexy QB talent available this year to warrant that drastic of a move.

there are always a couple of qb's that rise to the top, its inevitable....but i dont think were doing anything at qb this year coming up....probably going to pick up a few FA's (overpay) and then grab another defensive player in the 2nd round....we need a safety and will likely need another LB with Sean lee retiring (assuming since he cant stay healthly).

I dont see us spending any picks above the 5th round on offense at all unless we grab a TE....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ask this..

If not DAK..

then who?

Are you really going to trust this team to find your next QB and actually develop him?

They then failed to have a replacement ready in Weeden who they had for 2 years.

NOTHING.

And remember..

FA could be an answer.

But again..

Time will slip away.

Comments?

The thing you are missing is that the Cowboys haven't drafted top prospects at QB. They haven't used a 1st round pick on a QB in the last 29 years - not since Aikman and Walsh in 1989.

Dak was a 4th rounder that was drafted with the hope of being a quality back up, with only an outside chance, at best, to be more than that. Romo was an undrafted free agent, and it can easily be argued that he was capable of winning a Super Bowl had the overall team been good enough. Weeden? Vaughan? Surely nobody expected them to be developed into anything in Dallas. McGee was a project from the outset. The only thing close to a top pick the Cowboys have used on a QB is Quincy, who was a second rounder, and Jerry's folly.

It all starts with talent.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think Teddy would be similar in this system. He does not throw the football down field and he is fragile. Look at his build.
Comparing their first 2 years (since Teddy has only played 2 years and Dak is on his 3rd), Teddy throws it deep (over 20 yards) on 10.2% of his pass attempts compared to Dak at 8.9%. If we included Dak's 2018 numbers he would be at 8.8% of pass attempts over 20 yards.

As a comparison, Romo threw 10.7% of his passes over 20 yards.

Teddy is more accurate than Dak in the 21-30 yard range, but his completion % falls off the map at anything over 30 yards.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would take Winston, too. I just think the price may be too high for him.
I would love to know what they are thinking in Tampa. I believe they picked up his 5th year option. Winston just needs a change of scenery.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I ask this..

If not DAK..

then who?

NOTHING.

And remember..

FA could be an answer.

But again..

Time will slip away.

Comments?
2020 draft will be the way to go!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Comparing their first 2 years (since Teddy has only played 2 years and Dak is on his 3rd), Teddy throws it deep (over 20 yards) on 10.2% of his pass attempts compared to Dak at (8.9%). If we included Dak's 2018 numbers he would be at 8.9% of pass attempts over 20 yards. I hear you but want a big upgrade. Someone that would clearly beat out Dak.

Teddy is more accurate than Dak in the 21-30 yard range, but his completion % falls off the map at anything over 30 yards.
I hear you. I just want someone who would clearly beat out Dak. I think Winston would.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
This logic just escapes me.

Yeah, the QB sucks, but they might have a hard time finding someone else, so why not stick with the suck you know?

Let's keep failing because trying something else might lead to failure...smh.

And the nonsense about Romo is just that, nonsense.

This exactly. It's like trying to fix up a car and replacing everything but the engine and wondering why it still won't run. We know we have a lemon, try to find a better one even if we have to go through a few more lemons, no point in sticking with the same guy just because he might be better than guys we bring in.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Comparing their first 2 years (since Teddy has only played 2 years and Dak is on his 3rd), Teddy throws it deep (over 20 yards) on 10.2% of his pass attempts compared to Dak at (8.9%). If we included Dak's 2018 numbers he would be at 8.9% of pass attempts over 20 yards.

Teddy only threw for 3200 yds (200 yds/gm) and only had 14 TDs in his only and last full season. He hasn't played in 3 seasons either. How is any of that better, just because you recognize his name?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Teddy only threw for 3200 yds (200 yds/gm) and only had 14 TDs in his only and last full season. He hasn't played in 3 seasons either. How is any of that better, just because you recognize his name?
It may not be, but it's not like there are a lot of good options out on the table, especially since we traded our #1 draft pick.

I was comparing those stats because it was said Teddy didn't throw deep. I do the same thing when people say Dak doesn't throw deep. The difference is negligible.

irishline

Reaction score
I would love to know what they are thinking in Tampa. I believe they picked up his 5th year option. Winston just needs a change of scenery.

Agree with you. Tampa did pick up the option, but it at this point is only guaranteed in case of injury.

Not saying they are not playing him because of that, but it kind of reminds me of RG3's 4th year in Washington. At the time there was talk that the Commanders weren't playing him in order to protect him from getting injured and guarantee that 5th year after they picked it up that off-season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...fter-team-said-he-was-cleared-rg3-still-isnt/

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It may not be, but it's not like there are a lot of good options out on the table, especially since we traded our #1 draft pick.

You weren't kidding about Bridgewater completion percent dropping off the table at anything over 30 yds. In his career, he has only completed 4 of 35 passes of 30+yds, that's like 11%. That's bonafide Noodle Arm territory, even our QB Coach, Kellen Moore would consider that bad. :omg: