CFZ Some fundamental sports truths I wish JJ would grasp

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.
Bob, I wish I could lock you and Jerry in the same room for several hours and let you tell him all the above in detail.
These truths are all so obvious, and that just adds to the frustration level of being a Cowboys fan.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
The Jones' won't even hire a football GM, even if it was just a title in name only. Until they actually start surrounding themselves with real football people, it won't get much better. Zeke, Dak, Dlaw, Crawford, Jaylon Smith are all recent examples of bad contracts. Because Dallas doesn't have a real GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Well done Bob. But just a couple corrections which I know you know but how it was presented could be misconstrued. We only went to 5 Super Bowls before Jethro arrived . And yes, the success we had prior was our most magical era which built the iconic brand.

The 3 SB’s since is a big part of why he’s still here. Arguably without that early success with teams Jimmy built he wouldn’t have survived and probably ran out of town if it was more of what we’ve seen last 25 + years .

But because of that early success many fans still provide him a pass for life . And will defend his record because of that success. Fans forget the Cowboys most legendary face didn’t receive a pass for life as he was fired after a HOF 29 year career mainly because of 3 consecutive losing seasons .

It’s still amazes me when I see otherwise knowledgeable and faithful fans go to bat for our owner as they see it as some sort of loyalty to our brand while he is the one constant throughout this era which has prevented our franchise from more success on the field . I’ll just never understand such ignorance.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A lot of truth here.
However, nothing will change (from a fans perspective). Until they hit lightening in a bottle as many teams do, and things go right and the win.

For however many fans stop attending games, there will be others that will. Fans with PSL's just can't stop buying the tickets. They will resale them, and as Dallas fans stop going, but doubtful. This is where opposing team fans may buy them as we have seen many times.

Fans stop buying merchandise, no way, they will keep buying.
Myself, I have not bought anything but a hat and a few coffee mugs in the past 10 years. But I have received many items as gifts.

However I did not stop buying Cowboys items because of trying to hit Jerry's pocket book. I stopped because there is nothing I need or want. Especially the way prices have sky rocketed.
If I see something I really like, if a new cool hat, or a really cool coffee mug. Then yes, I will buy it, if the price is not outrageous. Otherwise, I pass. I don't buy jersey's I don't buy t-shirts. Maybe a polo shirt, but don't need any of those either. I still have like 5 in really great condition from over 10 years ago. Actually 2 they gave me as a season ticket holder (before I sold them) plus a hoodie I never worn.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Jones' won't even hire a football GM, even if it was just a title in name only. Until they actually start surrounding themselves with real football people, it won't get much better. Zeke, Dak, Dlaw, Crawford, Jaylon Smith are all recent examples of bad contracts. Because Dallas doesn't have a real GM.
Yep, having Amatuers running the front office puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bob, I wish I could lock you and Jerry in the same room for several hours and let you tell him all the above in detail.
These truths are all so obvious, and that just adds to the frustration level of being a Cowboys fan.
It won’t matter as long as the seats are filled and the registers are ringing. This is our destiny with an owner like Jethro .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well done Bob. But just a couple corrections which I know you know but how it was presented could be misconstrued. We only went to 5 Super Bowls before Jethro arrived . And yes, the success we had prior was our most magical era which built the iconic brand.

The 3 SB’s since is a big part of why he’s still here. Arguably without that early success with teams Jimmy built he wouldn’t have survived and probably ran out of town if it was more of what we’ve seen last 25 + years .

But because of that early success many fans still provide him a pass for life . And will defend his record because of that success. Fans forget the Cowboys most legendary face didn’t receive a pass for life as he was fired after a HOF 29 year career mainly because of 3 consecutive losing seasons .

It’s still amazes me when I see otherwise knowledgeable and faithful fans go to bat for our owner as they see it as some sort of loyalty to our brand while he is the one constant throughout this era which has prevented our franchise from more success on the field . I’ll just never understand such ignorance.
That is one thing I want to make clear:
I do give Jerry credit for those 3 SBs because he did hire Jimmy.
I also think he has done an overall great job as owner and contributor to the NFL.
It's just that he does not have the skillset to be a competent GM and it's keeping the Cowboys from success,
and that what's so frustrating to me.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It won’t matter as long as the seats are filled and the registers are ringing. This is our destiny with an owner like Jethro .
Well, that's just really sad if true.
I do think this: The Cowboys will not stay this popular unless they start having some real success.
As us faithful oldtimers start passing on the younger generations are not going to continue to embrace a perennial loser.
That may have worked for the Cubs , it's not gonna work for the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is one thing I want to make clear:
I do give Jerry credit for those 3 SBs because he did hire Jimmy.
I also think he has done an overall great job as owner and contributor to the NFL.
It's just that he does not have the skillset to be a competent GM and it's keeping the Cowboys from success,
and that what's so frustrating to me.
Unfortunately the job he suks at is one most fans care about.

And I’d argue the most important job of an owner is hiring a good front office and coaching staff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger hangs his hat on the ratings and takes credit for the popularity of the team when the label “America’s Team” was coined before he ever had the chance to buy the team.

Success is measured by ratings, relevancy and revenue and he has little respect for the fans.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know if most fans feel this way, but for me- when I hear Jerry bragging about how much the team is worth in the middle of a 26 year and counting drought, it really stings.

It almost feels insulting to fans because the only thing we get to share in is the team’s success. We won’t see a nickel of the team’s monetary value benefit us. Have ticket prices gone down during Jerry’s cascade of profits?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, that's just really sad if true.
I do think this: The Cowboys will not stay this popular unless they start having some real success.
As us faithful oldtimers start passing on the younger generations are not going to continue to embrace a perennial loser.
That may have worked for the Cubs , it's not gonna work for the Cowboys.
25+ years obviously would support that it is true . The brand continues to break revenue records without more success on the field .

And why he continues being the face of the franchise because it is working regardless the success on the field . Remaining interesting and relative is all that is apparently required .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Booger hangs his hat on the ratings and takes credit for the popularity of the team when the label “America’s Team” was coined before he ever had the chance to buy the team.

Success is measured by ratings, relevancy and revenue and he has little respect for the fans.
Why should he have any respect for the fans . They haven’t forced his hand to change .

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yep, having Amatuers running the front office puts us at a competitive disadvantage.
amateurs???:lmao2:,

so they bought the team in 1989 and ran it since then, had many FOOTBALL guys in the mix...

titles mean nothing but hey i guess you know more than they do given 32 years as owning and running a professional sports team..they also played college ball, watch a lot of football with their children and grandchildren who are playing. So just amateurs since 1989 and learned nothing at all?

BTW WM is the GM regardless of tiles they have a staff of at least 100 under then coaches and FO types,

you say Mcclay isn't a Football guy, none of the others staffers are football people, all the coaches know nothing about pro ball??

many aspects of the GM responsibilities are split up amongst these employees..the Jonses do not do it all..they have cap people, personal people ,analytics department, lawyers, CPAS, huge scouting department( i guess those scouts were home depot employees hired to do pro scouting with no experience?) and many others who make up that role.

yet somehow hiring a GM that been a GM is the answer even though WM is that guy already and other teams int he same time period have let go and rehired new GMs at least a dozen times including coaches and overhauling teams and i don't see that as an key to winning or they would do it..

show me a brand new GM hires his own coach and owner gave him full power and they win the SB that season maybe 2 years 3 years i mean show me the blueprint for sucess by simply hiring and firing GMs even though all owners and FO people above them still have final say??

the Jonses like being the title holders for the public to see , its their team, i have zero issues with that but they are not sitting up on some giant pulpit making decisions without serious input and consideration from a gigantic football staff.

calling them amateurs is a joke in itself. They have 32 years of Pro experience had many football minds under their employment.. 1000s of hours of meetings with football people.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes at 80 years of age Jerry will change and control that massive EGO of his..........GL with that!:rolleyes:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And here come a big part of our dysfunctional ownership body of support which continues enabling him. I’m not sure anymore how we reach them ? And why I’ve given up hope for change.