Some observations about the Cards...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
The gloom and doomers in here have noted that the Arizona Cardinals are featuring a rather effective offense this year, in particular an effective pass offense...

This is true enough, the Cards are throwing the ball around well enough to currently rank 3rd in the NFL in passing, one spot ahead of the Boys... they're also throwing the ball 37.2 times per game, 4th most in the league... this would seem to suggest that they'll pose the Boys some difficulty on pass defense...

This is true, but at the same time, what they do just might be tailor made for the Cowboys... you see, they don't throw the ball short much, they look downfield, and Kurt Warner isn't exactly what you'd call a mobile quarterback... counting sacks as pass plays, he's been dropped once in every 16.5 times he drops back... and this week, he'll be facing the team that ranks 6th in the league in sacks...

The Cards are also pretty turnover prone, even more so than the Boys, having thrown 4 ints and lost 7 fumbles (3 by Warner) already this season... if the Boys are indeed successful at putting pressure on Warner, we can expect them to turn the ball over some...

Even so, I expect that they'll be able to put some points on the board against the Boys... but at the same time, it's reasonable to expect that the Boys will be able to move the ball pretty much at will on the Cards through the air themselves-- the Cards are allowing 68.1 per cent completions on the season, and allowing an average quarterback rating of 103.9... and this week, they'll be facing the 4th best passing offense in the NFL...

Thus, my expectations are that the Boys will get a fair number of sacks, and probably a couple-three turnovers, while having considerable success passing the ball... so if they can hold on to the ball themselves, I look for a W in a somewhat high-scoring game, but one of about 10 points... I'm looking for a score along the lines of 38-28, or 37-27, something like that...

With the Boys winning, of course... :D

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
silverbear;2318025 said:
The gloom and doomers in here have noted that the Arizona Cardinals are featuring a rather effective offense this year, in particular an effective pass offense...

This is true enough, the Cards are throwing the ball around well enough to currently rank 3rd in the NFL in passing, one spot ahead of the Boys... they're also throwing the ball 37.2 times per game, 4th most in the league... this would seem to suggest that they'll pose the Boys some difficulty on pass defense...

This is true, but at the same time, what they do just might be tailor made for the Cowboys... you see, they don't throw the ball short much, they look downfield, and Kurt Warner isn't exactly what you'd call a mobile quarterback... counting sacks as pass plays, he's been dropped once in every 16.5 times he drops back... and this week, he'll be facing the team that ranks 6th in the league in sacks...

The Cards are also pretty turnover prone, even more so than the Boys, having thrown 4 ints and lost 7 fumbles (3 by Warner) already this season... if the Boys are indeed successful at putting pressure on Warner, we can expect them to turn the ball over some...

Even so, I expect that they'll be able to put some points on the board against the Boys... but at the same time, it's reasonable to expect that the Boys will be able to move the ball pretty much at will on the Cards through the air themselves-- the Cards are allowing 68.1 per cent completions on the season, and allowing an average quarterback rating of 103.9... and this week, they'll be facing the 4th best passing offense in the NFL...

Thus, my expectations are that the Boys will get a fair number of sacks, and probably a couple-three turnovers, while having considerable success passing the ball... so if they can hold on to the ball themselves, I look for a W in a somewhat high-scoring game, but one of about 10 points... I'm looking for a score along the lines of 38-28, or 37-27, something like that...

With the Boys winning, of course... :D

Pretty good analysis SB. The Cards are having a pretty season so far (for them anyway) and Warner has been excellent for the most part but had a horrible game against the Commanders. On defense, they allowed Brett Favre to have a career day against them.

They have an impressive passing game with outstanding WRs but their running game is pedestrian at best and their defense has major holes which we should be able to exploit at will.

They will likely try to shut down Owens but that will leave Witten and the RBs to have big games.

They will score some points as we have been vulnerable to passes to the WRs but I think we will outscore them and should get a lot of pressure on Warner, which he doesn't handle well usually.

I predict a 37-24 win for us. :starspin

Reaction score
If you have the Cowboys D in fantasy football.. Dont start them.

And if you have Fitzgerald, he is going to blow up with Anquan being out...

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
You make a good point about how they like to get the ball down field and that will give our DLine and outside backers time to get to Warner and also the cards have big wrs and dallas matches up I think better against big wrs as opposed to the smaller receivers likeSantanna Moss,Thrash,Jennings etc. Cowboys 38 Zona 20

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318151 said:

Boldins out? Than I really like the boys

StylisticS

Reaction score
How is their run defense? Will we be able to run the ball against the defense and if we could, where are they the softest at?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I believe Zona's going to be missing one of their starting corners for the game too. Saw that on one of their boards. Blanking on the name at the moment. They seem to be saying they are really thin at that position after the starters too.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Thanks Silver bear.
Nice look into what we will see this week.
Downfield.
If they catch us it will be for long gains but they will take a pounding at QB and turn it over a few times.

If we run as well as last week we win.
The passing game will catch up a bit.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Their very good Safety Adrian Wilson is Questionable too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Thanks SB. I went to their forum to ask some questions but I'm still waiting to be activated by their mods.

The information you gave is exactly what I was looking for. Any team wanting to throw down the field is going to have problems with us. I actually don't see how teams can consistently wait on longer routes playing against us.

If Warner gets enough time he will have some success. And I look for them to run a lot of multiple sets flooding one zone after lining up 2-3 WRs behind each other. That has caused us a lot of recognition problems and resulting in people being left wide open. I understand it's the product of an inexperienced secondary and one not used to working together but it is a big problem. We're also getting caught with our safeties napping and not providing help over the top. I understand where that's coming from, too, but they have got to start helping these corners out better.

I wouldn't be surprised for them to come out with some WCO looking routes at first.

Good post.

superpunk

Reaction score
The Cards throw the ball short just as much as anyone else. 75% of Warner's throws this season have traveled 10 yards or less this season.

Compare that to Carson Palmer (75%), Jason Campbell (78%), Donovan McNabb (55%), and Aaron Rodgers (53%).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318151 said:

I tend to bench my starting D agianst high powered Offense accept the Titans defense I was starting the Packers defense over them till they played the Boys.....Packers hasn't been off the bench since.......

FCBarca

Reaction score
I don't know how often Warner has been sacked but he is one of those old school quick release QBs...Particularly in that offense.

The obvious is that a pass happy offense with weapons poses matchup problems for Dallas.

Looking forward to see how Bigg performs in his return

Strange now that the Cardinals are no longer an NFC East opponent :eek:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;2318503 said:
I don't know how often Warner has been sacked but he is one of those old school quick release QBs...Particularly in that offense.

The obvious is that a pass happy offense with weapons poses matchup problems for Dallas.

Looking forward to see how Bigg performs in his return

Strange now that the Cardinals are no longer an NFC East opponent :eek:

He's been sacked 12 times this season 5 times in the jets game.....

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
superpunk;2318468 said:
The Cards throw the ball short just as much as anyone else. 75% of Warner's throws this season have traveled 10 yards or less this season.

Compare that to Carson Palmer (75%), Jason Campbell (78%), Donovan McNabb (55%), and Aaron Rodgers (53%).

SP,

Checking out nfl.com, Warner has the 4th highest avg per completion 8.0, behind Romo 3rd at 8.4, Rivers 2nd and Brees 1st.
Campbell average is 6.9, McNabb 7.4 and Rodgers is 7.4 for comparison. Not an exact correlation for style of offense but it gives a fair picture I think, with the lower averages coming from west coast offenses.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
We need to come out and get after him early and hard. If we don't have at least six sacks this game I will be disappointed. I want to see Ware Spencer and Ellis on the field at the same time and have them mix it up a lot.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2318518 said:
24-21. another down to the wire game with the boys pulling it out.

I doubt either defense could hold these offense to under 30.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
While this thread is probably accurate, it's also a tacit admission that our defense isn't very good.