Some of you all are just embarassing

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I fully understand your point in that Zekes punishing running style wears a defense down and can have them smoked by the 4th qtr . No one loves power running more than I do trust me .

That said I have gotten really tired of having a good offense one talented enough to win playoff games but a defense that just gives it up and kills their best efforts . We have a playoff defense now but we are going to have to pay those guys also . As good as Zeke is we just cant afford to pay him top money and have him do something stupid and not be able to play .

We have to do what's best to keep the most talent on the team and that may not be paying Zeke top money 2 yrs before we actually have to. Jerry will do what he wants but if Im paying a guy top money I want his character to be good enough that I dont have to worry about losing my investment through off field issues .

These suspensions are the bain of my existence beyond tired of that crap would hate to have to give up a couple of high character guys on defense to pay Zeke and then have him spit the bit again
Fair point.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The problem with your post is you are making the assumption that Pollard won't be able to force teams into making a "BUSINESS DECISION" never make assumptions. If Pollard were to start the season and in his 1st game carry 21 times for say 109 and in his 2nd game rush 22 times for say 110, plus throw in 1 or 2 catches a game, i guarantee you buy the 3rd game of the season opposing D's would be forced to make business decisions regarding Pollard. I get your point but until you see what Pollard can do in a real NFL...well quite frankly you can't make an informed decision as to what defenses will do to stop him
Tell me a time when pollard was ever a bell cow? We've done this before. With Felix Jones. This time we were smart enough not to use a 1st round pick!

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Tell me a time when pollard was ever a bell cow? We've done this before. With Felix Jones. This time we were smart enough not to use a 1st round pick!

So you can assume that he can't do the job , but the rest of us can't assume he can? Here try it this way tell me a time after he signed with us as a UFA that Tony Romo showed you he could be the starter he was for us and hold all the team records, better yet tell me a time in your illustrious career as a football evaluator that Tom Brady (Before he was drafted) showed you he had the ability to become the greatest QB to ever play the game? Better yet how many sure fire can't miss 1st round draft picks in the history of the NFL became 1st round busts? Nobody knows anything until they actually play in the NFL, so you assuming Pollard can't do the job is no different than those assuming he can

kskboys

Reaction score
No problem.

On 12/22/18, Pollard was 17/109.

On 11/23, Pollard was 11/83 along w/ 8/116 receiving.

kskboys

Reaction score
So this is enough.......never mind.
Whoa there hossie. You specifically said "ever".

Since Pollard had a stud RB in Henderson taking most of the carries, we simply do not know what Pollard is capable of.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Sorry...I had to start a new thread...because I don't want this point to be lost. Some of you all...with 10,000....15,000....20,000+ posts on this board...your LACK of understanding the game of football is down right embarrassing. And it's not about us all having to agree on everything....we should and we do RESPECTFULLY disagree with one another a lot. But there is a difference in disagreeing...and debating with people who simply don't know the game. And maybe EVERYONE on this board THINKS they know the game...but many of you don't...and you lead people astray who admittedly are here to learn from people here that are SUPPOSED to know the game.

Every time I read any reference to Pollard carrying the load....I want to scream and/or throw my laptop against the wall. You might be mad at Zeke. You might think he should "honor his contract". But does that mean you have lost all football sensibilities...or maybe you never had any?

One of the biggest things that many of you are missing....when you point to what Darren McFadden did...or what Alfred Morris averaged per carry...or what Pollard has done so far.....is NONE of them...force the defense to make a business decision. All yards per carry are NOT equal. All 100 yard games are not equal. All 1000 yards seasons are not equal. We all know about Zeke's ability to run, catch...and block. But late in games...especially when the season starts to drag on...peoples desire to tackle Zeke plays a big part in wearing down a defense. So it's NOT just about how many times Dallas runs the ball...it's how many times do they run the ball with a RB that makes the defense tap out.

So I know there are thread after thread on this topic. And I know everyone will not agree with my take. But some of you all should really STOP IT...with this nonsense comparing all of these guys to Zeke. Or thinking we have found Zeke's replacement after a couple of pre-season games. Or over valuing Darren McFadden's 1000+ yard season in Dallas. They are not Zeke for MANY reasons...and their inability to bring the violence and physicality to the run game is either not understood by some of you or not considered when comparing Zeke to them
Because they aren't making their opinions on logic. It's about emotion. Especially for a lot of the older fans here. It has nothing to do with ability it's about zeke not knowing his "place" and should do what he is "told".

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry...I had to start a new thread...because I don't want this point to be lost. Some of you all...with 10,000....15,000....20,000+ posts on this board...your LACK of understanding the game of football is down right embarrassing. And it's not about us all having to agree on everything....we should and we do RESPECTFULLY disagree with one another a lot. But there is a difference in disagreeing...and debating with people who simply don't know the game. And maybe EVERYONE on this board THINKS they know the game...but many of you don't...and you lead people astray who admittedly are here to learn from people here that are SUPPOSED to know the game.

Every time I read any reference to Pollard carrying the load....I want to scream and/or throw my laptop against the wall. You might be mad at Zeke. You might think he should "honor his contract". But does that mean you have lost all football sensibilities...or maybe you never had any?

One of the biggest things that many of you are missing....when you point to what Darren McFadden did...or what Alfred Morris averaged per carry...or what Pollard has done so far.....is NONE of them...force the defense to make a business decision. All yards per carry are NOT equal. All 100 yard games are not equal. All 1000 yards seasons are not equal. We all know about Zeke's ability to run, catch...and block. But late in games...especially when the season starts to drag on...peoples desire to tackle Zeke plays a big part in wearing down a defense. So it's NOT just about how many times Dallas runs the ball...it's how many times do they run the ball with a RB that makes the defense tap out.

So I know there are thread after thread on this topic. And I know everyone will not agree with my take. But some of you all should really STOP IT...with this nonsense comparing all of these guys to Zeke. Or thinking we have found Zeke's replacement after a couple of pre-season games. Or over valuing Darren McFadden's 1000+ yard season in Dallas. They are not Zeke for MANY reasons...and their inability to bring the violence and physicality to the run game is either not understood by some of you or not considered when comparing Zeke to them

For many, it's not about comparing Zeke to this guy or that guy.

It's about understanding that the way the league operates now, many successful teams are winning games with a gaggle of TBs and not simply pouring millions and millions into a large, expensive contract for one TB.

Is Zeke one of the best RBs in football? Yep. Do you need one of the best RBs in football with a big contract in order to win games? Not really.

That's the position many take. In a league where there is a cap, you can't sign everyone and some people look around the league and see it might make more sense financially to not lock yourself into a huge contract for one TB, but rather, hodge podge the TB position and then use the money to bring back a CB that you might let walk otherwise, for example.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
For many, it's not about comparing Zeke to this guy or that guy.

It's about understanding that the way the league operates now, many successful teams are winning games with a gaggle of TBs and not simply pouring millions and millions into a large, expensive contract for one TB.

Is Zeke one of the best RBs in football? Yep. Do you need one of the best RBs in football with a big contract in order to win games? Not really.

That's the position many take. In a league where there is a cap, you can't sign everyone and some people look around the league and see it might make more sense financially to not lock yourself into a huge contract for one TB, but rather, hodge podge the TB position and then use the money to bring back a CB that you might let walk otherwise, for example.
That's the direction the good teams that consistently contend for titles take. Great OL and good, affordable RB/RBs = highly productive running game. Just one example I wanted to mention; the New Orleans Saints. They have Kamara on a rookie deal, right? They were pairing him with Ingram who was on a modest contract, and when Ingram left in FA they were able to sign a solid back like Latavis Murray for 3.6 million a year, a guy that has proven to be productive.
I have little doubt their running game will be among the best in the league this year.
They were sixth in the league in rushing yards last year, and had 26 rushing TDs.
Not too shabby.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Agreed he is one of the more physical RBs in the league but if we could get the production from a much cheaper back in Pollard that would let us sign more talent and ultimately better the team I am not against that . If Zeke continues to hold out we might get to see just what we have in Pollard

That's true, and there's always Morris also, if the Cowboys keep him, he's at least an experienced back.

But I don't want to find out, I know what we have in Zeke, and no question he's a premier back, he can do it all, something neither Pollard ( as far as we know now) or Morris can do.

I feel Zeke will get signed by the opening game, last I heard they were quibbling over guaranteed money, not the entire contract....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Serious question: Why do you think Lassic was talented? He had a 3 year NFL career, and 1993 was the only year he got carries. He was 75/269/3.6 YPC. He played for us in 94 and got zero carries, and the Panthers in 95 and got zero carries. I'm simply not getting your comparison here at all.

I didn't mean to compare Lassic and Pollard other than they were supposedly the "any back" that some thought could run behind the line, though obviously a back has to be talented to some degree just because he got onto an NFL team's final 53 roster over lots of other backs competing for a spot. "Talented" wasn't meant to be construed as a top back, just someone that was "thought" to be able to run well behind the Cowboys' line...

Blackrain

Reaction score
That's true, and there's always Morris also, if the Cowboys keep him, he's at least an experienced back.

But I don't want to find out, I know what we have in Zeke, and no question he's a premier back, he can do it all, something neither Pollard ( as far as we know now) or Morris can do.

I feel Zeke will get signed by the opening game, last I heard they were quibbling over guaranteed money, not the entire contract....

Im hoping he gets signed because minus the off field stuff he is much more of a proven commodity. That said I dont feel like the season is shot if he dosent because Dak has progressed and I believe Kellen Moore may use the passing game just a bit more now that we have some more weapons in that area to draw the attention of the defense .

I just dont want signing Zeke to compromise the talent we are able to keep on defense . Have watched the less talented Defenses of the past cost us in big games to the point I feel we need to keep that talent at all cost .

My gut feeling is with Dak and the total offenses progression along with there is no tape on how Moore calls a game yet we could get by with a RB who gives us 85% of Zekes production and ZERO off field problems . But lack of talent on the defense has been a proven cause of failure

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's the direction the good teams that consistently contend for titles take. Great OL and good, affordable RB/RBs = highly productive running game. Just one example I wanted to mention; the New Orleans Saints. They have Kamara on a rookie deal, right? They were pairing him with Ingram who was on a modest contract, and when Ingram left in FA they were able to sign a solid back like Latavis Murray for 3.6 million a year, a guy that has proven to be productive.
I have little doubt their running game will be among the best in the league this year.
They were sixth in the league in rushing yards last year, and had 26 rushing TDs.
Not too shabby.

Though when you have a Brees available to throw the ball, and a Payton to run the offfense, proven SB winning qb and hc, teams have to respect the pass more than with Dak, makes running the ball a bit easier. Take Brees out and put him with Tayson Hill for a season and their running game might not be as productive.

But overall I agree with you, though there's more than one way to win SBs. The Ravens won one with their tight end as their leading receiver, e.g.

Let's hope Dallas' approach is as productive...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But lack of talent on the defense has been a proven cause of failure

No doubt, though I don't think the Cowboys put as much emphasis on the defense in years past, maybe the light went on after some of the "proven cause of failure" you noted happened....

CaliStar68

Reaction score
I see it as "Let it do what do baby!". We all want Zeke back but not if it ruins the process to obtain other key personal. This has been such a frustrating team to be a fan of really since the mid 80's ( I will always be a CD4L) so I learned not to get so fired up over the drama, doesn't always happen, as I get older. Ok I still get somewhat riled up but none of us can control what Jerry or Zeke does or doesn't do. All I'm saying is give respect get respect cause being Cowboy's fans we already have the world against us let's not turn on each other. Plus my opinion is the only one that matters!!!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No problem.

On 12/22/18, Pollard was 17/109.

On 11/23, Pollard was 11/83 along w/ 8/116 receiving.

To me "bell cow" means a back that carried the team offensively for a whole season or more, in Pollard's best year, 2018, he touched the ball 117 times in 13 games, or 9 times a game total, that's not a "bell cow" to me.

He's 6-0 and 215. Emmitt was 215 but on a more compact 5-9 frame, unknown if he can take the pounding.

I can see arguments either way, if for no other reason than we won't know if he can be a "bell cow" until they try to make him one, but I have concerns that he can rush 20 times and catch 5 passes a game for a 16 or more game season.

Won't know unless and until it happens, I'm open to to either possibility...

kskboys

Reaction score
To me "bell cow" means a back that carried the team offensively for a whole season or more, in Pollard's best year, 2018, he touched the ball 117 times in 13 games, or 9 times a game total, that's not a "bell cow" to me.

He's 6-0 and 215. Emmitt was 215 but on a more compact 5-9 frame, unknown if he can take the pounding.

I can see arguments either way, if for no other reason than we won't know if he can be a "bell cow" until they try to make him one, but I have concerns that he can rush 20 times and catch 5 passes a game for a 16 or more game season.

Won't know unless and until it happens, I'm open to to either possibility...
Absolutely. I was merely refuting the statement that Pollard hadn't "ever" been a bell cow. Simply pointing out that he had some games w/ a lot of touches.

I think it would be a mistake to try to make Pollard a bell cow. It's highly unlikely he'd last long at all due to build. However, I have no problem w/ sharing carries w/ Pollard and whomever earns 2nd RB status. Looks like Morris to me at this point.

kskboys

Reaction score
No doubt, though I don't think the Cowboys put as much emphasis on the defense in years past, maybe the light went on after some of the "proven cause of failure" you noted happened....
It's been so painstakingly slow, watching Jerry try things and make the mistakes that have already been made in the past. Trying to build an OL w/ spare parts and late rounders was mindnumbingly stupid. Surely there's someone on the staff who knew better. So, what happened? Did they tell Jerry "That won't work, Jerry"? And did Jerry reply "Well, we're going to try it anyway"? I mean, how in the world could we be soooo stupid?