Someone tell the Bucs you build through the draft only

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Well Steve let’s take a look at the Bucs....

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs
Not true....bottom line is you need a top 5 QB

Swagger

Reaction score
But if Tom Brady had an average defense then the Bucs get blown out by the Packers.

It depends doesn't it.

Recent examples.

The Broncos won the Superbowl with Manning almost throwing the ball from a wheelchair - the defense was so dominant. The Bucs do not even reach the Superbowl without their defense. Yet Mahomes and the offense blew out all opponents en route to the Superbowl and it was a collective team effort assisted by choking by the 49ers personal and play calling to actually win it.

Ideally you want the offense and defense to compliment one another but the issue with having a top 5 QB is that the Packers and Seahawks haven't won the Superbowl with two to of the best since they got paid.

superonyx

Reaction score
All those FA's wouldn't have mattered if they stuck with Winston instead of signing Brady. Brady made all that possible.
This is true. You can't have a QB throwing for 30 interceptions per year and win in this league.

Tampa will now be the place good players go for a reduced salary so they can play with Brady and this team.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All those FA's wouldn't have mattered if they stuck with Winston instead of signing Brady. Brady made all that possible.

The point is, that QB's other than Brady, could have accomplished the same feat, with the talent on the roster. Brady, was just one player making a difference, as well as, the other assembled components.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
so, they have done pretty much exactly what the cowboys have tried. bring in relatively cheap short term FA's to supplement the core of the team which comes from the draft. only difference is their FA's have actually contributed.

there isn't so much wrong with the approach we have used but we haven't always chosen the players very well and clearly some of them were just looking to get paid. it wouldnt hurt to shop in just a little more expensive level of free agency sometimes though.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It does help when you get the Best QB of all time and probably the best TE of all time to come to your team...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you have to go all the way to 2000..then naw it’s not BS.
Worked for the Bronco's, but like the Bucs they landed All Timer at QB. Mannings and Bradys dont grow on tree.

Also it gave them a very very narrow window

Not just Denver, but Philly too. Went 7-9, then won the Alshon Jeffrey sweepstakes, picked up Nick Foles, picked up Chris Long, picked up Lagarette Blount, picked up Nigel Bradham, traded for Jay Ajayi, traded for Timmy Jernigan all in one offseason. Then add them to team leaders we didn’t draft like Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney Mcleod, Jason Peters, Brandon Brooks, others I’m forgetting...

then boom. rings the very next year. That’s our starting quarterback, star receiver, entire backfield for a top 5 rushing team, HoF left tackle, only good LB, best DBs, half our D line, All-Pro RG...

the only way Howie could Fix the Chip Kelly situation was by dumping his players and replacing them all, he did it in 2 years. Cant have that kind of turnaround in the draft.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
They were able to do that because they already had offensive pieces and some very good building blocks on defense. They added the GOAT at QB and gambled the CAP future on a Super Bowl - and won.

We on the other hand have solid offensive pieces in place, but no where near what they have on defense. We need new starters at FS, CB, LB and DT. That can’t all be shored up in free agency.

Motorola

Reaction score
I see on the boards all the time “build through the draft and bring in some stop gaps (scrubs) in free agency....that’s how you win a Super Bowl

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

So you can go on living that lie that we will win a Super Bowl through the draft and free agency scrubs
Add on another free agent-
8. Ryan Succop
He, along with the players listed at 1, 3, 4, and 6 - scored all of the 31 points in the game.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Need Cap cash to go shopping.....Good Gm doesn't hurt either.
Jerry better load up on Bitcoin to pay these players if he going shopping.

Cowboys aren't a destination anymore, there the Bengals with a Star on the helmet...good times.

Flamma

Reaction score

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

There are multiple ways to build a championship team. No one method, but a healthy mix can do it if you're a good GM. Take your example for example. If Tom Brady wasn't in the mix, the rest were a waste of money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not just Denver, but Philly too. Went 7-9, then won the Alshon Jeffrey sweepstakes, picked up Nick Foles, picked up Chris Long, picked up Lagarette Blount, picked up Nigel Bradham, traded for Jay Ajayi, traded for Timmy Jernigan all in one offseason. Then add them to team leaders we didn’t draft like Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney Mcleod, Jason Peters, Brandon Brooks, others I’m forgetting...

then boom. rings the very next year. That’s our starting quarterback, star receiver, entire backfield for a top 5 rushing team, HoF left tackle, only good LB, best DBs, half our D line, All-Pro RG...

the only way Howie could Fix the Chip Kelly situation was by dumping his players and replacing them all, he did it in 2 years. Cant have that kind of turnaround in the draft.
Eagles was a fluke and they are not a good representation of what it takes to win a Super Bowl.

heir

Reaction score
This is misleading.

How much are those old free agents costing?

You can't continuously buy your way into a championship. Not repeatedly with today's salary cap.

Eventually, it is best to draft smart during the draft. Plus, negotiate well during resigning contracts.

I agree with you. Mostly your team needs to build through the draft. That is the foundation of your team. The thing that Jerry doesn't realize is signing one or two big-name free agents to complement what you have drafted is what gets you over the top. Cheifs signing Mathieu to a deal helped them win a Super Bowl. The Dallas front office has fooled some fans into believing that signing free agents is not a good thing because they are so cap-strung. It's one of the biggest farces that Jerry/Stephen has pulled.

Brax

Reaction score

Notable free agents:

1. Tom Brady
2. Shaq Barret
3. Gronk
4. Fournette
5. Suh
6. Antonio Brown
7. Jason Paul

Yes there are folks that keep posting just draft a top 10 Defense this year to go with the # 1 offense. it's sad they actually believe it.

75boyz

Reaction score
SJ is afraid to go after high level fa because if they don't work out he's afraid to be ridiculed. He's pretending to know what he's doing by doing less thus exposing himself to less criticism, if I take a job I'm not qualified for the more moves I make the more people will realize that I don't know what I'm doing. SJ wants to look like he's fiscally efficient but he's really just afraid to wade in the fa waters because he's not a good judge of talent.

Very good comparative post with well thought out conclusions. Outstanding post that I agree with.