Someone tell the Bucs you build through the draft only

Brax

Reaction score
It’s sad when it’s actually been proven to work lol?
What team drafted a top Defense in one Draft paying Elite $$ for a QB and having the 30th ranked Defense, you and others are living in delusional football fantasy land. You really believe Jerry, sprout and Lil Willie are drafting a roster full of all pro defensive players that will elevate the D to top 5. Thanks for the laughs keep them coming.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They had most of those guys last year.
yes, they did. absolutely. they were 7-9. they had one of the worst QBs in the league who threw 30 interceptions. that's about 2 interceptions per game. they lost 7 games by one score. 4 games by 4 or less. the turnovers contributed to some of those losses. Thus bye bye jamesion. and hello brady. and Brady just didn't jump at a team that gave him a contract. it was very well calculated. he would have never come to dallas. he knew we have no chance for a run. he knew tampa had all the pieces and new he is an upgrade over Jamesion and could make a run with the team.....that core kept them in a lot of games.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The draft is only one element of building a team. Ignoring free agency (because it isn't Madden) is simply foolish. Unless you're hitting along the draft up and down year after year, you're going to be outpaced by other teams who draft well and bring in talent, meanwhile you overpay people like Tyrone Crawford.

This pretty much it in a nutshell, the Rams, Chiefs, Bucs all made it to the SB by adding key fa. Yes the core of your team should be through the draft but shore up weaknesses with day 1 fa. The DT, LBer and Safety position should all be addressed with week 1 free agents. I'm tired of taking flyers on guys that no one else wants because it's low risk, I'd swing for the fence and strike out rather than SJ being at the plate hoping for a walk.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The core of that team was drafted. But you are absolutely right. You have to get the right players in FA to complete a contending roster.
the key word is RIGHT FA that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive or the highest price. we signed Hardy...paid a lot....and he was the wrong FA....KC signed Hitchens and he was the right FA at reasonable price. we paid Poe, McCoy, griffin and Worley....they never made it past mid season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This pretty much it in a nutshell, the Rams, Chiefs, Bucs all made it to the SB by adding key fa. Yes the core of your team should be through the draft but shore up weaknesses with day 1 fa. The DT, LBer and Safety position should all be addressed with week 1 free agents. I'm tired of taking flyers on guys that no one else wants because it's low risk, I'd swing for the fence and strike out rather than SJ being at the plate hoping for a walk.
I think what people are missing is that those teams didn’t make the Super Bowl just because of free agency. Free agency doesn’t solve all problems. In order for free agency to work for you you have to do well in the draft. You can’t avoid either.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What team drafted a top Defense in one Draft paying Elite $$ for a QB and having the 30th ranked Defense, you and others are living in delusional football fantasy land. You really believe Jerry, sprout and Lil Willie are drafting a roster full of all pro defensive players that will elevate the D to top 5. Thanks for the laughs keep them coming.
You can do the “what team” argument for everyone? What team won a Super Bowl drafting a defensive end with the 1st overall pick? What team won a Super Bowl with spending a 1st overall pick on a quarterback? You can literally play this game with anyone lol.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think what people are missing is that those teams didn’t make the Super Bowl just because of free agency. Free agency doesn’t solve all problems. In order for free agency to work for you you have to do well in the draft. You can’t avoid either.

Imo we've done well enough in the draft over the last 5 or 6 years or so, where we've missed at is in fa. Those fa from TB, KC and the Rams were impact players, name the fa that the Cowboys have signed that have had similar impact?

Brax

Reaction score
You can do the “what team” argument for everyone? What team won a Super Bowl drafting a defensive end with the 1st overall pick? What team won a Super Bowl with spending a 1st overall pick on a quarterback? You can literally play this game with anyone lol.
So you have no answer or team because it doesn't happen in one draft. Great job trying to deflect when you have nothing to back up a statement.

Creeper

Reaction score
As I stated before, SJ is not a good judge of talent so instead of going out and signing day 1 fa he'd rather sign our own guys because it's safer. Thus the reason we find ourselves in bad second deals with our own players because we over value them. Remember that Jerry and Stephen ultimate goal is to prove to the world that they are "football" guys and the least mistakes they make ih their eyes the better. The last big fa they've sign was Carr, let that sink in.

It is not that he is just a bad judge of talent. His philosophy stinks too. How many free agents did we cut last season? How much did they pay for all of those free agents. Maybe that money would have been better spent if they just signed 1 quality guy instead of a bunch of scrubs wo can't play.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If you think otherwise you didn’t pay attention to the games and box score watched.....
Or...I understand football.

Yeah...Gronk, no impact at all.
Jason Pierre Paul - scrub.
Antonio Brown - not a threat.
Fournette - sucks.
Suh - doesn't do anything.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
that's exactly how everybody else does it. no one splurges and builds a team through FA. FA is expensive. you will overpay for good players. KC built through the draft. tampa built through the draft. GB built through the draft. washington built through the draft. bills built through the draft and as you said, they all sprinkled some FA here and there and perhaps a major signing to close the gap.

Sprinkles would seem to indicate that no major moves were made. This is not true.

Green Bay got back to contending for titles when it improved its defense by adding Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith through free agency. Starting ILB Christian Kirksey also is a FA addition, as is safety Adrian Amos.

Amos signed for four years, $37 million.
Kirksey signed for two years, $16 million.
Preston Smith signed for four years, $52 million.
ZaDarius Smith signed for four years, $66 million.

Imagine what four fairly substantial FA signings like that could do for our defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It is not that he is just a bad judge of talent. His philosophy stinks too. How many free agents did we cut last season? How much did they pay for all of those free agents. Maybe that money would have been better spent if they just signed 1 quality guy instead of a bunch of scrubs wo can't play.

What Jerry Jones did was viewed as smart and applauded by most.

Don’t overpay in FA, build through the draft, and sign your guys when they perform.

I on the other hand was the guy saying to sign Brady and go all in.

I was also the guy saying McCarthy was a status quo hire.

We make too many smart conservative decisions that have us stuck right in the middle.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yeah, it's a philosophy issue. Neither Stephen Jones nor Jerry Jones is judging the talent. They have guys who do that. What they are telling those guys is here's a dollar, go find me the best player you can for that. I feel sorry for the pro scouts. They are handicapped by the philosophy.

Tussinman

Reaction score
You can't build only through the draft, too many positions.

"we like the guys we have" has killed this team in the off-season. It's a very VERY arrogant mentality, they act like bringing in outside help undermines your own home grown talent/draft picks when in reality it provides valuable depth and challenges your players for starting positions...... (aka it gives you a deep playoff caliber roster, who would possibly want that ?)

Ego is a huge issue with the front office. I remember there was a year when the cowboys could of cut Crawford and saved enough to bring in both Shelton and Hankins for no extra cost.

Can't do that though because it 1. It undermines the front office giving Crawford a large contract and 2. We can't do it because "crawfords our friend"

phildadon86

Reaction score
What Jerry Jones did was viewed as smart and applauded by most.

Don’t overpay in FA, build through the draft, and sign your guys when they perform.

I on the other hand was the guy saying to sign Brady and go all in.

I was also the guy saying McCarthy was a status quo hire.

We make too many smart conservative decisions that have us stuck right in the middle.
I really dont know how many times this needs to be driven into your skull before you understand.

TOM BRADY WOULDNT HAVE WON HERE. We have NO DEFENCE!

birdwells1

Reaction score

He'd rather make a few small bets at the blackjack table than betting big because he's scared to, he hopes one of the longshots pan out because it a no lose situation for his football rep. If they don't pan out then it really didn't cost them anything (Aldon,Quinn) but if they do then he can puff his chest out and say look at me. The problem is if he thought so much of the cheap fa that he hits on why not sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal? Remember all these moves are about the Joneses egos not football, if they cared so much about winning then they would get football guys to run the on field operation but it's not so they won't.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It is a team sport but you can't win in this league without a good QB. That gets proven every year.
Soooo, Baker Mayfield became a good quarterback as soon as Stefanski took over last season?! Of course not. It's all about good coaching.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Barrett, Suh and Paul.
Great pickups!

They brought them all in while they still had their QB on a rookie deal.
And the team went 7-9

Brady literally by himself brought in the rest......himself, Gronk, Fournette, and Brown.....and every single one of them is on the record saying so.

birdwells1

Reaction score
When something goes wrong with my truck I get the error code and research the issue, I'm not a mechanic but I can follow instructions pretty good. When I figure out what needs to be done I go to Youtube to see if there's a video mapping out how to change out a part, often the person in the video will give the job a difficulty rating 1-3 easy, 4-6 need to be mechanically inclined, 8-10 if your not an auto mechanic take it to a shop. Whenever I see 8-10 I know instantly that it's beyond my level and I take it to the pros at the shop, the Dallas Cowboys are a 10 on the difficulty scale and after 25 years the Joneses are still fumbling and bumbling getting the wrong tools out of the box, won't take it to the pros that why their vehicle is still in the driveway on blocks because, by golly, they're going to fix this car themselves even if it kill us.